THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
redmeanie77
ChelseaQuinsfan
payneNglory1
7 posters

Silva vs Belfort UFC 112 ,Abu Dhabi.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Silva vs Belfort UFC 112 ,Abu Dhabi. Empty Silva vs Belfort UFC 112 ,Abu Dhabi.

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:50 pm

http://www.tatame.com/2010/01/06/Exclusive-Anderson-vs-Belfort-in-Abu-Dhabi

The fight between Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort is in works to take place at UFC 112, on April 10, at Abu Dhabi. Carlos Santos, leader of Emirates Team, revealed to TATAME.com that both fighters called him to train at his training center in Abu Dhabi in the days before the fight. This will be the first UFC event in Abu Dhabi, and will also have the UFC debut of the legend Renzo Gracie, against the five times welterweight champion Matt Hughes.

What’s the expectation to the first UFC in Abu Dhabi?

The best as possible. It’s going to be one of the best of the world, because Abu Dhabi’s government is giving total support to this event, because it’s gonna be week of fight in Abu Dhabi... Abu Dhabi Fight Week (laughs). Besides UFC on April 10, it’s going to happen, four days before, the national championship of team from government schools, and five days after the World Pro Cup (Jiu-Jitsu) 2010.

Are you helping on the event’s organization?

At this moment, no, but the same company that will take care of the marketing here on the World Pro will do UFC’s. But we’re here to help everyone, including the visitors that come to see the event.

What fights is UFC preparing to this edition?

Vitor called me and Anderson’s guys too, wanting to know how is the country’s weather, where is it going to happen and how easy is to them to train here. I said that are the best as possible and the doors of Emirates Team ADCC Club are open to everyone, not just the facilities as our athletes to train with them. Besides them, there’s Renzo, who’s always here with us and maybe come a month before to be here training with us.

Are you going to help both?

We know all of them and, as I said, they have open doors. There’s space to all of them. We’re here to help everyone, especially if they are our friends and Brazilians. The Club is pretty big and we can share hours and spaces to both, with no problem at all.

Renzo, a legend of ADCC, will also be on the card. What’s the Sheikh’s expectation to his debut on UFC?

Not only Sheikh’s, everyone here is very excited and waiting this events, not only on UFC, but also the World Pro. I think Sheikh will be present in all events.

How do you analyze the growing of the fights in Abu Dhabi?

Great. Besides the population is not very big, with all this projects, fight is becoming a reality inside the country, and Jiu-Jitsu being the base of everything and becoming a national sport, because the gold is until 2015 to be in 200 public schools with close to 100 thousand children training Jiu-Jitsu. And it’s good to remember that UFC is going to be in an open place, so it’s good that fighters come early to adapt to the weather here, that must be around 77°F on this date. A big hug to everyone, we’re here in Abu Dhabi waiting all the fight lovers.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Silva vs Belfort UFC 112 ,Abu Dhabi. Empty Re: Silva vs Belfort UFC 112 ,Abu Dhabi.

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:00 pm

Hopefully im going to this live, looks like an excellent card so far.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Silva vs Belfort UFC 112 ,Abu Dhabi. Empty Re: Silva vs Belfort UFC 112 ,Abu Dhabi.

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:07 pm

I wish i was going too Crying or Very sad

I was already going to Kuwait in May , and I'm going to be pretty busy in April before my time off. Why cant they change this too may Mad

I think UFC 112 will be a huge stepping stone for UFC and MMA, I'm sure it will prove to be extremely popular and succesful visit there. Im certain they could make alot of Diniro with a couple of UFC events in the Arab gulf region a year.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:36 am

It's a purely money making exercise. They'll make millions off the sheiks and sultans and princes in the middle east. It's not a move for the fans.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:45 am

this is gonna be a great card i cant wait
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:59 pm

MMA is suprisingly big among UAE nationals. A lot of the younger lads train in different arts, BJJ, wrestling and Muay Thai. They only really know your Liddell's, Kimbo's and Lesner's but this event added with the expats will sell quickly.

The event itself looks like it could be one of the biggest MMA events outside North America.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:39 pm

With the money available in Abu Dhabi/Dubai, does anyone think it would be possible that they are trying to get in on MMA and become essentially what Las Vegas is for boxing? They must be looking at the increasing figures of MMA events and thinking 'wow, that would be a good investment!'
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:09 pm

My biggest worry is that it's taking MMA away from the real fans. If it was in the best interests of the sport, then surely Boxing would have been the first to go there. This is IMO a move to line the pockets of Dana and the Fertittas.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:18 pm

This will be the Affliction of UFC cards, all flash and glamour and money pissed up the wall, then it'll be back to Vegas.

Abu Dhabi are getting into everything they possible can - F1, Red Bull Air Race, Triathlon, now MMA, and all on a stupidly glitzy level. Who gains if there are 3 or 4 cards in the UAE every year? You won't even be able to get a beer at the venue!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:04 pm