THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
manschesthair_utd
redmeanie77
6 posters

Silva - Belfort fight up to doctors says agent !

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Silva - Belfort fight up to doctors says agent ! Empty Silva - Belfort fight up to doctors says agent !

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 pm

A proposed middleweight championship bout between titleholder Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort at UFC 108 on Jan. 2 in Las Vegas has yet to be cemented as Silva recovers from recent elbow surgery.

“It's not locked down yet,” Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Monday. “We'd all like to take that fight on January 2nd. We're just waiting on the doctor approving of Anderson to train again. Until the doctor's approval, we can't confirm that fight. We're waiting on the doctor's release to be able to start training. He's doing physical therapy. He's doing OK. But the doctor knows best at this point.”

Soares has been outspoken about the bout that could have easily gone to contenders Dan Henderson or Nate Marquardt before Belfort dispatched Rich Franklin in just three minutes at UFC 103 on Sept 19 in Dallas. The bout, held at a 195-pound catch-weight, was Belfort’s first with the promotion since 2005.

“Like I've said before, we want to fight the best and Vitor Belfort right now I don't feel he deserves a title shot -- it's how we feel,” said Soares. “But at the end of the day we're not the matchmaker. We fight for the UFC and whatever the UFC wants we're going to stand behind and do. But it doesn't mean that we think it’s fair. I'd rather it be at 195 pounds, but if it’s for the title it's for the title.”

Meanwhile, Soares said his other champion client, UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida, is prepared for the vintage Mauricio “Shogun” Rua that streaked through Pride Fighting Championships’ middleweight grand prix in 2005. Machida makes his first title defense against the fellow Brazilian at UFC 104 this Saturday at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

“I think that he's the same fighter, I just think that his performances haven't shown that,” said Soares. “But I think he's getting better. I think he had a good training camp. I definitely know that he didn't take this fight lightly so I guess we're going to have to see Saturday night. But I believe that Shogun has the tools to beat Lyoto. He does. And that's what's going to make this fight interesting.”

Soares also reiterated that Silva and Machida, friends and training partners at the team’s private Black House gym in Los Angeles, would never meet in the cage, despite the promotion’s best efforts to match them together at a later date.

“That won't happen,” said Soares. “Anderson is most likely going to be cornering Lyoto this fight.”

However, that doesn't mean Soares has ruled out every fight between his clients and teammates.

“I'll tell you one fight that's going to be a difficult one to go, Rogerio (Nogueira) is coming to the UFC, and I think if Rogerio puts on some good performances and Lyoto keeps on defending his title, that's going to be a fight that, unfortunately for us, is two of our guys fighting each other.”
    http://mmalinker.com/news/view/944550/
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Silva - Belfort fight up to doctors says agent ! Empty Re: Silva - Belfort fight up to doctors says agent !

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:02 pm

It interesting that he think Machida and Lil Nog could fight each other but Anderson and Machida definatly wont fight.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Silva - Belfort fight up to doctors says agent ! Empty Re: Silva - Belfort fight up to doctors says agent !

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:43 pm

Anderson doesnt want Machida because he gets schooled by him in training! (apparently)

you dont hear Machida saying he wouldnt fight anderson (or do you?)

i cant see Nog fighting anderson as theyre training partners and master/student in BJJ. But i can see Nog fighting Machida, of which the same cannot be said.

*BTW does anyone know how much i would have to bribe Anderson's doctor to get this fight to go ahead? Laughing
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:16 pm

Ed Soares comes off as a bit of a dick.. Nate doesnt diserve a shot, Hendo doesnt diserve a shot now Belfort doesnt diserve a shot! haha what is he thinking? I think he may have said Wandy does diserve one either (Or that may have been Anderson!) But who does he want to fight Anderson? I think he wants Okami or Worse! I really hope this fight is on, Its been off and on for a while now.

Lil Nog vs Machida is a great fight. Lil Nog is a very underrated fighter, Crazy good BJJ, and he floored Shogun on the Feet, I can see him becoming a title contender, UFC's best signing for ages! Id have liked to see Nog vs Rampage because we missed out on that match from pride... Id also like to see Nog fight Forrest and have a shogun rematch on his way to a crack at the title.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:32 pm

Anderson vs Machida won't matter soon anyway cause silva won't be champ, once Belfort knocks his sorry ass out! His promoter is worried about him fighting Belfort as he doesn't want to loose his big earner, Hendo and Nate have had their chance it's Belforts time now and hopefully if all goes well we will see Silva get bombed!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Ed Soares really is a dick. But to be, that's his job. He's there to get the best for his fighters and to make sure they make as much money as possible and its hard to argue with his current results.

I wonder who main events the 108 show if Silva can't fight. I reckon Machida might have to go again. Maybe against Couture who doesn't deserve a shot but Dana will need a fight that can draw and Randy's a decent draw. Put Chuck on the undercard and that will certainly boost the numbers. Chuck against Coleman is a fight that would make sense IMO.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:44 pm

Good call its the perfect time for Chuck vs Coleman and Chuck says he isnt keen on a fight with Kimbo (I think he sees it was below him, that and Kimbo is a Hw I suppose) Also good call on Couture, Time wise it makes sence, Forrest doesnt diserve a crack off a loss, Evans and T.Silva fight each other and have lost to him already... and Lil Nog has a fight and I doubt would get a title shot as his 1st fight... Its strange to think in the 205 devision they are struggling contenders if Machida stayed top. Rampage would have fitted the profile down the line, Pitty Dana pissed him off.

Machida beat Shogun and Randy beat him I think It be joining Joe Rogan in saying "that guy is my hero" Laughing I also wouldnt mind seeing Randy fight Shogun, Thats a fight Ive wanted for a while too. Lets hope be batters Vera like I think he will.

You think Liddell is going to fight again then?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:56 pm

Yeah i think he loves it too much not to. I do think he'll fight Kimbo at some point, just for the money side of it. I'll go on record right now as saying that fight will do 1.5million PPV buys.

I think Little Nog needs at least 3 fights before he gets a title shot. He's got no profile in the UFC and isn't really well known outside of the hardcore fans. He reminds me of Jeremy Horn in that respect. He's more talented than Jeremy but you get what i mean.
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:44 pm

Yes the boys are running scared of Jesus Christ's favourite MMA fighter what is the problem ?

Vitor is a draw & the most worthy contender since Hendo but breaking it down it is obvious why they are not keen they know this is no Griffin or Irvin and even Hendo Vitor is not going to stand in front of Silva and let him counter Vitor's style is all wrong for Anderson.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:30 pm

Vitor is a draw? No, he's not. Not at all.

No1 is running scared of Vitor. What Ed Soares says are not the thoughts of Anderson Silva, they are in the INTEREST of Anderson Silva. Soares' job is to protect Silva and get the best deals for him, and he does that.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:07 am