The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news


    Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Share
    avatar
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

    Posts : 983
    Join date : 2009-08-25

    Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  efils_god on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:34 pm

    Just got this from mmafighting.com

    http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/12/13/vitor-belfort-vs-wanderlei-silva-as-ultimate-fighter-brazil-coa/

    So we'll finally see a Wandy-Belfort rematch! Don't fancy Wandys chances though.

    How does this affect Belfort's chances of moving towards a title shot, knowing that win or lose versus AJ he'll be fighting Wandy who is not that relevant in the division?

    Obviously it'll still be a massive fight, especially in Brazil!

    Thoughts?
    avatar
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1270
    Join date : 2011-01-19
    Age : 34
    Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  Cowboys From Hell on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:41 pm

    Sounds very odd announcing this with Belfort take on Rumble before hand It seems Zuffa don't see either anywhere the Title picture.
    avatar
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 2071
    Join date : 2010-04-29
    Age : 24
    Location : Northamptonshire

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  The_Axe_Emperor on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:54 pm

    RIP Wand, thanks for the memories.
    avatar
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1144
    Join date : 2011-01-26
    Age : 30
    Location : Belfast

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  p4pnumber_1 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:56 pm

    Doesn't work out rankings wise in my opinion, especially if Belfort beats Rumble.

    My prediction is Wandy will retire after getting knocked out in less than a minute

    What I don't get is Dana White was calling for Wandy to retire... and now he throws him in with one of the most devastating strikers in the UFC lol.
    avatar
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6040
    Join date : 2009-08-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Belfast

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  rudeboyben84 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:44 pm

    In UFC Wand is top 10-15 and Vitor is top 10. Whats the big deal? Vitor and Wand both have heavy hands and bad chins.

    Vitors advantage with 2 strikers fighting is much much quicker hands.

    As well as Style wise, Wide guard vs Good straights still makes this as bad a matchup as It was back 15 years or however long ago.

    The thing is Wand is back to training with Anderson, And a lot of you shit on him before the Cung Le fight (a man a lot of you called to Front Kick Belforts head off) Wand is willing to adapt his game, he had a custom made plan for Cung and it got the job done.

    His win before that is Bisping (who we rank over Beofort)

    Lets not all start writing off an all time great yet because he cant trade hands with Belfort. Fuck sake Belfort got outstruck by Saku when he was a heavy!! He is hot and cold as a fighter and its safe to assume he has better hands, That doesnt mean Wand will go out Leben style. Wand clearly learned from that and I reckon he will Clintch and Grapple Vitor and mix his game up.

    Weird Rumble is fighting Belfort 1st though... Cant remember hearing a coach have a fight before he went on the show. If Rumble puts Vitor to sleep quick I wonder if any of you will change your tune?
    avatar
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 2071
    Join date : 2010-04-29
    Age : 24
    Location : Northamptonshire

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  The_Axe_Emperor on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:50 pm

    How does Belfort have a 'bad chin'? Laughing
    avatar
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1144
    Join date : 2011-01-26
    Age : 30
    Location : Belfast

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  p4pnumber_1 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:16 pm

    Hold on how exactly does Vitor have a bad chin? Because he got knocked out by the greatest striker in the UFC?

    Vitor is top 5/6 in the UFC
    Wandi is just about top 15 if even

    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:21 pm

    Pointless mismatch. Wandi is getting KO'd.
    avatar
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

    Posts : 583
    Join date : 2009-08-16
    Age : 30
    Location : Leeds

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  sunthunder on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:04 pm

    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:How does Belfort have a 'bad chin'? Laughing


    I was gonna say this. Prime Liddell hit him with about as clean a right hand as he could hope to land and although it dropped Belfort on his ass, Vitor was about as clear and lucid taking that kind of shot from Liddell has been.
    avatar
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1144
    Join date : 2011-01-26
    Age : 30
    Location : Belfast

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  p4pnumber_1 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:56 pm

    sunthunder wrote:
    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:How does Belfort have a 'bad chin'? Laughing


    I was gonna say this. Prime Liddell hit him with about as clean a right hand as he could hope to land and although it dropped Belfort on his ass, Vitor was about as clear and lucid taking that kind of shot from Liddell has been.


    True that, not to mention he's taken shots from Hendo and Overeem and took them both the distance.
    avatar
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

    Posts : 583
    Join date : 2009-08-16
    Age : 30
    Location : Leeds

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  sunthunder on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:11 am

    p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    sunthunder wrote:
    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:How does Belfort have a 'bad chin'? Laughing


    I was gonna say this. Prime Liddell hit him with about as clean a right hand as he could hope to land and although it dropped Belfort on his ass, Vitor was about as clear and lucid as anyone taking that kind of shot from Liddell has been.


    True that, not to mention he's taken shots from Hendo and Overeem and took them both the distance.
    avatar
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

    Posts : 983
    Join date : 2009-08-25

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  efils_god on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:24 am

    Yeah this is odd, it's basically a fight that is being made to get huge ratings through-out the season of TUF in Brazil rather than because it's a relevant fight.
    avatar
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1024
    Join date : 2009-08-17
    Age : 44
    Location : Auckland, NZ

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  Ginginho on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:36 am

    efils_god wrote:Yeah this is odd, it's basically a fight that is being made to get huge ratings through-out the season of TUF in Brazil rather than because it's a relevant fight.



    It doesn't matter that it isn't relevant - it will make money. The UFC is first and foremost a business and making money is what businesses do.

    The UFC and Zuffa have done a lot for the sport but I sometimes worry about the direction they are now taking it.
    avatar
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 4165
    Join date : 2009-08-29

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  redmeanie77 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:40 am















    Why are people upset at this fight? Yes its a bad matchup for Wandi but the fight makes sense in a business and ranking point of view.


    Belfort hasnt really beaten anyone top 10 at 185 lb in UFC even if he beats Rumble. infact you can argue Wandi win over Bisping is better than any Belfort win in UFC at 185lb .



    But yeah Wandi is losing again, maybe even quicker than last time. lol
    avatar
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

    Posts : 583
    Join date : 2009-08-16
    Age : 30
    Location : Leeds

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  sunthunder on Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:51 am

    sunthunder wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    sunthunder wrote:
    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:How does Belfort have a 'bad chin'? Laughing


    I was gonna say this. Prime Liddell hit him with about as clean a right hand as he could hope to land and although it dropped Belfort on his ass, Vitor was about as clear and lucid as anyone taking that kind of shot from Liddell has been.


    True that, not to mention he's taken shots from Hendo and Overeem and took them both the distance.

    I have no memory of quoting this for no apparent reason...
    avatar
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6040
    Join date : 2009-08-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Belfast

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  rudeboyben84 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:52 pm

    Its sad that Wand gets so little respect, he rolls with Maia, Babalu and Werdum on a regular basis as well as guys like Munoz at Kings MMA, so whats to say he dosent come in with another customer made game plan and outgrapple Belfort? Or train his Clintchwork with Anderson and Blast Belfort with Knees...

    Basically everyone thinks Wand will come out like the Leben fight and loose in a shootout. My thinking is Wand isnt stupid, he didnt repeat the same mistakes against Cung. He knows Vitor has better hands and wont play Vitor at his own game again.

    I think Wand is one of the least respected Legends on here.
    avatar
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1144
    Join date : 2011-01-26
    Age : 30
    Location : Belfast

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  p4pnumber_1 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:48 pm

    I can't see where anyone has disrespected Wandi? Of course the man is a legend of this sport, I don't think anyone disputes that, but I think it's safe to say that this is a complete mismatch at this time in their careers. I personally believe that Wandi's chin can no longer take big shots, especially from elite strikers like Belfort. This is not me taking anything away from his career, the man is an MMA legend and always will be.
    avatar
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6040
    Join date : 2009-08-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Belfast

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  rudeboyben84 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:43 pm

    p4pnumber_1 wrote:I can't see where anyone has disrespected Wandi? Of course the man is a legend of this sport, I don't think anyone disputes that, but I think it's safe to say that this is a complete mismatch at this time in their careers. I personally believe that Wandi's chin can no longer take big shots, especially from elite strikers like Belfort. This is not me taking anything away from his career, the man is an MMA legend and always will be.

    I suppose disrespected is the totally wrong word but Belfort isnt a level above Wand in the grappling department or anything.

    Maby Wand outgrapples him? Thats not unthinkable? Just because Wand isnt likely to win a toe to toe fight doesnt make a win impossible.

    You think Vitor wont gas after a round in the Clinch or Example.

    Will Vitor win if the fight hits the floor?

    Wands career has been on a whole other level of Belforts and not just their recent fights, he has a CV packed with Legends, Belfort has a handfull of good wins. For me I put a bit of faith in a Legend that he can have a plan B to deal with someone who out guns him in a brawl.

    Im not saying he is or should be the favorite but too many people are dismissing a guy who is one of the all time greats coming off a win to a guy like Cung Le. After being 2-1 at Mw

    With win over Bisping and Cung and a loss to Leben, and no one rates him at all. I think he is under rated here.
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:11 pm

    rudeboyben84 wrote:Its sad that Wand gets so little respect, he rolls with Maia, Babalu and Werdum on a regular basis as well as guys like Munoz at Kings MMA, so whats to say he dosent come in with another customer made game plan and outgrapple Belfort? Or train his Clintchwork with Anderson and Blast Belfort with Knees...

    Basically everyone thinks Wand will come out like the Leben fight and loose in a shootout. My thinking is Wand isnt stupid, he didnt repeat the same mistakes against Cung. He knows Vitor has better hands and wont play Vitor at his own game again.

    I think Wand is one of the least respected Legends on here.

    What to say he doesn't come in and outgrapple Vitor? Well Vitor is far superior on the ground for starters and secondly, in order to get Vitor to the ground he's going to have get within range to have his chin tested and we all know he's failing that test.
    avatar
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6040
    Join date : 2009-08-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Belfast

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  rudeboyben84 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:22 pm

    Vitor far superior on the ground to Wandy? Belfort couldnt hang on the ground with Overeem, Wandy fought Arona on the ground and survived. Their Sub skills are rarely on disply but Vitor got outwrestled by Saku, Wandy dumped him on his head.

    Wand outgrapples Vitor IMO. Clintch Knee, TD, GnP, Vitor Gasses...

    Anyway what date will they fight roughly? Wonder if Wand takes a fight before it?
    avatar
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 4621
    Join date : 2009-08-29
    Age : 39
    Location : North Carolina

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  payneNglory1 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:27 pm

    Obviously you haven't been let in to the secret yet Ben,Cheal told us,Wandi's wins in Japan weren't real Wink

    avatar
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 2071
    Join date : 2010-04-29
    Age : 24
    Location : Northamptonshire

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  The_Axe_Emperor on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:31 pm

    Ben i would be the happiest person on here if Wanderlei pulled it off, I just don't see it in a million years. He's been dropped in every recent fight I can remember, expect maybe Bisping. If Cung had any killer instinct I think he could've finished him when he dropped from the back fist. Vitor would have finished him.


    I don't disrespect Wanderlei at all, (my username is a cross between The Last Emperor and The Axe Murderer so have a guess who my favourite fighters are!) I just think some people, especially you, are respecting him a bit too much. He's not the fighter that ruled Pride anymore, far from it, and Vitor knows it.
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:47 pm

    rudeboyben84 wrote:Vitor far superior on the ground to Wandy? Belfort couldnt hang on the ground with Overeem, Wandy fought Arona on the ground and survived. Their Sub skills are rarely on disply but Vitor got outwrestled by Saku, Wandy dumped him on his head.

    Wand outgrapples Vitor IMO. Clintch Knee, TD, GnP, Vitor Gasses...

    Anyway what date will they fight roughly? Wonder if Wand takes a fight before it?

    Ben, Wanderlei is done. Vitor is better standing and always has been and better on the ground and always has been. The guy is a legit black belt in both Judo and BJJ whereas Wandi just happens to have a blackbelt.



    It doesn't matter because this fight's not going to ground, suggesting that Wanderlei is going to completely change his style at this point in his career is wishful thinking. He's going to do what he always does, charge in, chin hanging out and arms swinging. Cung Le gave him a beating until he gassed, Vitor will destroy him.

    I'm no Vitor fan but skill-wise he's a level above Wandi in every department and he's got a much much better chin. Guts and work ethic are the only things Wandi has over Vitor but they don't matter in a fight that won't last 3 minutes.
    avatar
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6040
    Join date : 2009-08-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Belfast

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  rudeboyben84 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:16 am

    Fuck you all, Ill avatar bet the lot of you! Laughing Wink
    avatar
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3763
    Join date : 2009-08-15
    Age : 106
    Location : Singapore

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  manschesthair_utd on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 pm

    Wanderlei normally displays a strong heart, when compared to Vitor.
    The only way he can win is if he takes the fight to him early (be it standing or on the ground) and then vitor will stop fighting.

    I think Vitor is more skillful in every area.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Belfort and W. Silva are named TUF Brazil coaches

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:16 pm