THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
Anfields5thKing
payneNglory1
George_Louis_Costanza@who
paul815
8 posters

Paul Daley

paul815
    paul815
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Paul Daley Empty Paul Daley

Post  paul815 Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Just wondered what you all think of Paul Daley, and where does he stand in the WW division? Question
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Paul Daley Empty Re: Paul Daley

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:47 pm

Certainly not far off a Title shot possibly 1 win away a win over either a Fitch or Kos which is likely his next fight would make him with out doubt next in line for GSP.....or Hardy....
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:49 pm

Paul Daley apologises for his post-match antics.

PAUL ‘Semtex’ Daley promised an explosive performance at UFC 108 – and that’s exactly what he did.

The new Brit on the block KO’d highly-ranked American Dustin Hazelett halfway through the first round of their Las Vegas contest.

It brings his total in UFC to two wins out of two and catapults him into the world welterweight title mix. But there was also controversy at the MGM Grand when, as Hazelett lay on the canvas, Daley pointed down at him in sharp-shooter fashion.

But the genuine 26-year-old from Nottingham quickly realised that his actions had antagonised the watching 13,500 fans and he readily apologised.

He said: “It’s not very honourable to stand over a guy after you just knocked him out and shoot him in the head with a pretend gun.

“That’s just not cool. Then to wind his coach up a little bit by laughing – well, that’s certainly not a cool thing to do. But you know when you’re full of adrenaline you do stupid things, particularly after a knockout – and for that I apologise.

“I went a little over the top with the celebration and I didn’t think it was very respectful of Dustin after I had just knocked him out.

“I don’t want everybody to hate me. I’d like to have a few fans.”

Daley added: “I think there was a lot of hype among UK fans with me coming to the UFC and I think I have something to prove to anyone who doubts me.”

The future is certainly bright for Daley, who could now face Josh Koscheck, Anthony Johnson or Jon Fitch in his next fight.

UFC president Dana White said: “Paul Daley is an awesome addition to our welterweight division. He has destroyed a top-three guy in Martin Kampmann in his first fight.

Now he has won again.

“He has burst on to the scene, but obviously we know who we are talking about at the top of that division – Georges St Pierre.

“Daley is going to have to fight one of the top two contenders before he fights GSP.

“The two best guys out there are probably Koscheck and Fitch but trying to get them to fight each other is a nightmare.”

Daley’s Nottingham gym partner Dan Hardy tackles GSP for the world title in New Jersey next month.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:29 am

Martin Kampmann has never in his life been top 3! Dana's a fucking idiot!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:55 am

Rumour is that he is fighting Kos next. That should be a good fight although Kos is a terrible matcup stylewise for him. I say Kos exposes his groundgame.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:09 pm

I don't know ben kos has a tendency to try and take on strikers and to be fair to him does quite well now I can't remember wether he did take down rumble a few times I'm sure he did, but I think if he was to stand with Daley, Daley would def knock him out. Don't think there's a better striker in the division than him at the moment.... Dare I say it! Will be very interesting as kos will really want to finish this fight and make a statment!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:19 pm

Haha Maritn Kampmann top 3. In what world?

Daley is not the best striker in the division, Alves is definitley better than him and possibly Rumble, maybe Zaromskis as well. Still Daley is a good striker and Kos has a poor stance, but I think he will be smarter than to try and stand with Daley, he will fight the same fight like he fought against Rumble. Take him down and probably get a sub, its a bad match-up for Daley.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:42 pm

i love Zaromskis but his striking is not on the level of Alves and Daley.
    He has lighting kicks and lots of crazy moves though.

for what its worth i think Daley is a better puncher than Alves but Alves has better kicks.

Rumble is not in the discussion IMO.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:06 pm

Ye I suppose Zaromskis doesn't have the cred the other two have but in his last 3 fights his striking has looked incredible. His kicks are Cro Cop-esque. I suppose he needs to be put in there with a real striker before you can make a real judgement call.

Alves isn't the best puncher because he has ridiculously short arms for his ridiculously huge body Laughing His kicks, knees and overall Muay Thai however are devestating. Daley has really good punches, technique and power but I haven't seen him throw many kicks.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:00 pm

Daley was a Mauy Thai world champ so i assume he would have decent knees, clinch, kicks? But if you had hands like daley you dont really need to worry about throwing leg kicks...?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:15 pm

Kos to GnP him silly though, I think he is a bit 1 dimentional. Id love to see him KO Kos though, Im sure he would probabally KO anyone who isnt Alves on the feet.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Go in with just punches against guys like Fitch, Kos and especially GSP and you won't last a round.

Alves is on a whole other level with his Muay Thai.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:07 am