THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

The Ultimate Fighting Championship!

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

The Ultimate Fighting Championship! Empty The Ultimate Fighting Championship!

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:15 pm

In November 1993 there was an event designed by the Gracie family to bring top fighters from all the martial arts together in one competition in order to show the supremacy of gracie jiu jitsu.

what we got was a contest with out of shape kickboxers, fat sumos, size mismatches and guys who were really not at the top of there sports at the time.

so what if it had been the ideal tournament?

8 fighters,
    representing 8 different martial arts,
    no cross training at all.
    All at the top of their art/sport at the time (november '93),
    all in their prime
    and all of a similar size to show the p4p best fighting style.

who would win?

to show you an example this is the fantasy tournament bracket that i thought of:

The Ultimate Fighting Championship! Rickson%20Gracie%20no%20shirt%20pose
    1. name: Rickson Gracie
    representing: Gracie jiu jitsu
    height: 5 ft 9
    weight: 185 lb
    titles: Gracie family champion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickson_Gracie

The Ultimate Fighting Championship! -90final
    2. name: Hidehiko Yoshida
    respresenting: Judo
    height: 5 ft 11
    weight: 172 lbs (competing weight)
    titles: 1992 olympic champion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidehiko_Yoshida

The Ultimate Fighting Championship! Toney3
    3. name: James Toney
    representing: Boxing
    height: 5 ft 10
    weight. 168 lbs (competing weight)
    titles: IBF middleweight champion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Toney

The Ultimate Fighting Championship! 111px-Aminishiki_toyonoshima
    4. name: Kyokudozan Kazuyasu
    representing: Sumo
    height: 5 ft 11
    weight: 220 lb
    titles: one of the 4 sumo champions at the time (picked because of his relatively small size)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyokudozan_Kazuyasu

The Ultimate Fighting Championship! Wrestling_116
    5. name: Kevin Jackson
    representing: amatuer wrestling
    height: 5 ft 10
    weight: 176 lbs (competing weight)
    titles: '91 pan-am, '91 world, and '92 olympic champion.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Jackson_%28wrestler%29

The Ultimate Fighting Championship! 384356890
    6. name: Branko Cikatic
    representing: kickboxing
    height: 6 ft 1
    weight: 220 lbs
    titles: 1993 K1 world gp champion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branko_Cikati%C4%87

The Ultimate Fighting Championship! AQSqzt2Rc8y7eB2
    7. name: Ken Shamrock
    representing: shootfighting
    height: 6 ft 1
    weight: 200 lbs
    titles: King of Pancrase
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Shamrock

The Ultimate Fighting Championship! 3505_01_01
    8. name: Kim Je-Kyoung
    representing: Tae kwon do
    height:
    weight: above 180 lbs
    titles: 1992 Olympic champion.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Je-Kyoung

who do people think would win this fair version of the groundbreaking tournament? and who would you have entered into the tournament instead? or as alternates?

I think Rickson would be the favourite, but i think Branko Cikakic would give him a high percentage chance of getting ktfo, Yoshida and Shamrock would be the dark horses.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

The Ultimate Fighting Championship! Empty Re: The Ultimate Fighting Championship!

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:56 pm

I like it, very good thread.

I think Rickson Gracie would be favourite easily because of his high level. But I think Kevin Jackson would be a dark horse, not only is he a fantastic wrestler he is a great athlete, very quick and strong. His sub defence leaves a lot to be desired which is a problem against Gracie obviously and some of the others but it I think he could pull it off.

Doubt Yoshida could win, he would KTFO by Toney and Cikakic, subbed by Ken and Gracie and dominated by Jackson.

I think Gracie is a clear favourite.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

The Ultimate Fighting Championship! Empty Re: The Ultimate Fighting Championship!

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:33 pm

nah you underrate Yoshida too much, he would submit Branko for sure, all of his wins are by submission.
    Ken got gi-choked by Royce so the exact same would probably happen with Yoshida (Yoshida choked out Royce!) only difference is that he would not be able to get him on his back so easily, but Yoshida was submitted by Barnett who has the style similar to ken.

I cannot see Yoshida beating Rickson though, but if Rickson was wearing the gi it would be great to watch.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:33 pm

When did Yoshida choke out Royce, I thought it was a draw.

Im pretty certain Branko is no Xande Riberio on the ground or even Houstan Alexander for that matter but on the feet he would have a major advanatge as a former K1 champion. Something about Branko being croation and a Kickoxer makes me think he has top class takedown defence Laughing but in all seriousness Yoshida has been Koed by a lesser fighter than Branko, James Thompson. Looking back at it Yoshida would start off as favourite but you can never be too sure against a Kickboxer.

I would probably say Barnett is better than Ken but I know what you mean about the similar styles. Don't think that fight would have too much standup fighting, after all Ken Shamrock was out struck by Tito, so he isn't very good and Yoshida has no TKO/KO wins in his whole career and was KOed by Thompson. That would be a fun little grappling contest.

Don't really think you could outgrapple Rickson Gracie, he overates himself a little saying he could beat Fedor and Lesner with ease but as an 8th degree BB, he has to be pretty good. Probably the greatest BJJ fighter ever which is probably a little harsh on the other fighters. Don't think any of the others are the greatest at there martial art, arguably Jackson but thats it. Rickson coule get KOed by Branko and Toney but he is a wrestling free-style champion in Brazil so he probably could get them to the ground and from there its all over.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:54 pm

grappling match at pride shockwave 2002, it was supposedly an early stoppage, but Royce was just laying there not tapping as always,waiting to go to sleep. The early stoppage (if it was one) actually saved him alot of face, especially since Yoshida couldnt repeat it in the rematch which was a draw.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship! 4v2qvo

Rickson out grapples anyone his size, its possible Yoshida could catch him but highly highly unlikely. He would only lose via an early KO from one of the strikers.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:45 pm

Ye I beleive that, Royce never knows when to tap. Remember Hughes?
    He does look out there.

If Yoshida caught Rickson I think it would be a minor miracle, thats not a knock on Yoshida just huge praise on Rickson. I seriously don't think anyone could catch him, none of his brothers, Garcia, Maia, Jacare or even Riberio. I really think he is just oustanding at BJJ, 8 degree is some achievement.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:20 am

Gracie has got to be the favorite, he is a prick but probabally the big favorite to win, Branko Cikatic could end up sparking him though gracies standup was piss poor! Laughing

Shammy couldnt get near Gracie as his skinny wee brother beat Shammy, you never know, a combo from 93 Tony could have Gracie seeing stars. It would have been a fantastic tournament, I wonder how Jackson would do, I dont think Gracie has been in with a wrestler of that calibre.

Money is on Gracie, Branko Cikatic probabally 2nd because his striking is levels above anyone in the tournament.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:42 am

To "Turn Japanese" a little, here are my picks for Pro-Wrestlings alternate at the time: Scott STeiner.

1983 Division I Big 10 – Fifth place[1]
    1984 Division I Big 10 – Runner up[1]
    1985 Division I Big 10 – Runner up[1]
    1986 Division I Big 10 – Runner up[1]
    1986 Division I All American – Sixth place[1
    Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
    Best Wrestling Maneuver (1989, 1990) Frankensteiner
    Match of the Year (1991) with Rick Steiner vs. Hiroshi Hase and Kensuke Sasaki at WCW/New Japan Supershow
    Tag Team of the Year award (1990) with Rick Steiner

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:w7k4623zK_K8UM:http://di1.shopping.com/images1

Toshiaki Kawada:
    Kawada was very active during his high school years in amateur wrestling, becoming a national champion in his senior year after defeating Keiichi Yamada in the finals.

Major Star in All Japan Pro wrestling. If you have never seen any mid 90s AJPW it's insane. And this guy was the hardest man there.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ehCN4XIc7NxoMM:http://b4wpro.com/b4w/wp
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:03 am

We have an Amature Wrestler... I say a Guy like Big Van Vader would better represent Wrestling in 93, 6"5 400lbs, Huge guy who loved fighting! We need a Giant for the Tournament seeing as the Sumo is small!!

The Ultimate Fighting Championship! 0
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:37 am

Vader is a good pick lol.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:47 am

I remember when MMA was just taking off he was set of fight some sumo in MMA, I really wish it had of gone ahead... It probabally would have been as unsuccessfull as Bam Bam Biglow in MMA!! I hear Vader used to always fight other wrestlers backstage... with mixed results Laughing But I remember reading he KO'd a Pro Boxer....

I think he would make a great addition, a real bad guy for the tournament!
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:14 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:I remember when MMA was just taking off he was set of fight some sumo in MMA, I really wish it had of gone ahead... It probabally would have been as unsuccessfull as Bam Bam Biglow in MMA!! I hear Vader used to always fight other wrestlers backstage... with mixed results Laughing But I remember reading he KO'd a Pro Boxer....

I think he would make a great addition, a real bad guy for the tournament!

Bigelow fought MMA?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:18 pm

Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:23 pm

Kimo grabbed the fence throughout then held his choke way to long. Not saying Bigelow would have won otherwise but classy, Kimo, classy.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:36 pm

Vader is a good shout for the toughest pro wrestler, but he wouldnt go in my tournament, if he won it would be down to his size, not because of his style.

if i were to pick alternates i would have José Manuel Egea representing karate,actually he could replace the sumo guy in the main draw.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Ffr.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FJos%25C3%25A9_Manuel_Egea&sl=fr&tl=en

or Ron Tripp was the 1994 world sambo champion and the only man to ever beat Rickson Gracie in any kind of martial competition, so it would be interesting to have him representing Sambo, even though it wasnt combat sambo that he was champ in, and he is really a judo guy.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:34 pm

Was Brandon Lee dead by 1993? He could represent Jeet Kune do lol

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:12 pm