THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
ChelseaQuinsfan
hendos_right_hook
manschesthair_utd
Raiden
Anfields5thKing
rudeboyben84
10 posters

And fight of the year 2010 goes to....

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

And fight of the year 2010 goes to.... Empty And fight of the year 2010 goes to....

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:25 pm

http://mmalinker.com/news/view/1083940/

Diaz vs Zaromskis!!! Diaz's crazy punch numbers vs the most feared headkicks in the sport! this one cant fail to entertain. This is my most looked forward to fight of 2010!!! Come on Nick Stay of the Gear long enough for us to see this fight! drunken
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

And fight of the year 2010 goes to.... Empty Re: And fight of the year 2010 goes to....

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Strikeforce just continue to impress with the fights they put on. Bobby Lashley and Cyborg are both fighting on that card as well so it's shaping up really well!
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

And fight of the year 2010 goes to.... Empty reply

Post  Raiden Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:56 am

EXCELLENT!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

And fight of the year 2010 goes to.... Empty Re: And fight of the year 2010 goes to....

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:53 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:Strikeforce just continue to impress with the fights they put on. Bobby Lashley and Cyborg are both fighting on that card as well so it's shaping up really well!

i think you are forgetting someone anfield!!

(note the date on the cover)

And fight of the year 2010 goes to.... Herschel
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:00 pm

Ive never seen Walker play Football but he is old, Small and doesnt have any MMA experience. (Although I hear he has done martial arts before) I cant see him doing anything. I wonder what Bum they will put him in with for his debut? Id love Dan Severn to step up!! Maby Don Frye?
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:58 pm

This should be awesome, I really get exited about watching Zaromskis, he's one of those fighters.

Kind of looking forward to seeing Lashley, but in my opinion the comparisons to Lesnar will see his reputation weakened. On the other hand he may end up being hyped like Kimbo as a marketing tool not as a fighter

Strikeforce are generally putting on better cards, and you can make the argument about injuries, but I honestly feel the last, and next, few Strikeforce cards are looking better than UFC injuries or not. There's just more consistency throughout the cards, not just 1 big fight followed by weak ones (although I suppose having fewer events every year helps)
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:02 pm

UFC has more tallent than Strikeforce and Dream combined... if you look at it Hw, Mw and Lw theres a 50/50 split but UFC have all the good Lhw's and Ww's
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:14 pm

I think cards like UFC 108 are weak but Strikeforce undercards of full of nobodys, Even the main card had the likes of Lindland and Whitehead who wouldnt even get into UFC.

I like Strikeforce dont get me wrong, And its great to see another show, even if its not on TV but I think they are a long way from matchig UFC's shows. Just look at the depth of UFC cards. theres guys like Palhares fighting on undercards!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:50 pm

First of all this is a really exciting fight and I can't wait for it, it should be a FOTY canditate.

With that being said, its horrible booking from Strikeforce. First of all, Jay Heiron was promosed a title shot, he didn't get it because Diaz was hitting the bong afro and then went on to dominate Jesse Taylor. The problem here is No one in the US knows who Zaromskis is, to get the real audience members you have to give him a showcase fight. Someone like Baroni would have been perfect (they shouldn't have released him IMO) maybe Larson now he is available, point is Zaromskis gets a wicked HK finish and the fans will instantly love him. Then Diaz vs Zaromskis is a real money fight, Zaromskis gets exposure, Diaz gets even more exposure and Hieron gets the title shot he was promised. It makes a lot more sense, poor booking from Strikeforce there.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:07 pm

Easy to Build it up. Short Hl clip showing his headkicks!!! that and he is the Dream champ, Quite easy to hype id have thought. I hope they can give it the hype it diserves its a fight that diserves to headline a shot, Like the Strikeforce Lw Title fight not being main event??? I cant wait for this fight, him and Diaz are two really improved fighers. He'll have trouble landing a headkicks on Diaz though! I got Diaz winning this one. Two of my favorite fighers to watch dont mind who wins... Yeah shit one for Jay Heiron but Whitemare is at the best stage of his career he really is on a roll and its the right time to see it happen.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:31 pm

A 5 minute youtube clip of HKs isn't the right booking, there trying to move too fast and there missing key promotional tools here. Imagine Zaromskis vs Baroni. Baroni a fan favourite and Bad ass among the fans. Zaromskis gets out of the first 3 minutes then HKs him and straight away the fans think this guy is baddest man on the planet. Its very easy to market people, very simple. Then him vs the Diaz, what hype that match could get. Strikeforce are skipping over very easy steps that could lead them to a lot of money.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Baroni is back with the UFC.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:20 pm

I know, I know but im saying that was something they could have done, so they shouldn't have released Baroni in hindsight. Instead of Baroni though, they could have signed Brock Larson or someone like that. Someone who is going to get there ass kicked Laughing
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:34 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:UFC has more tallent than Strikeforce and Dream combined... if you look at it Hw, Mw and Lw theres a 50/50 split but UFC have all the good Lhw's and Ww's

Can't agree at all. UFC have all the good LHW's? Last time i checked Arona, Babalu and Mousasi were all decent LHW's and as for WW, Diaz, Mr. Z and Shields when he moves back down are all top 10.

As for Herschal Walker, the guy is probably the greatest athlete of all time. One of the all time great american football players, an olympian in the bobsleigh and holds multiple blackbelts in different martial arts.

I agree he's far too old to be starting to fight now but he deserves his chance and he's a huge name in American sports and will likely attract a big audience.

As for the booking, it's perfect. Strikeforce is all about putting on the best fights. And the best fight outside of the UFC at WW is Diaz-Zaromskis. They don't take the WWE approach that Dana takes. And to say that no1 in America knows who Zaromskis is, well that's just not true at all. Real MMA fans know who he is. Casual fans might not but that's not the concern.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Not sure about greatest athlete of all time but im looking forward to his fight. He might be old and small but as a former NFL player he has to be a tough guy. Plus he will be a HUGE draw.

Booking is terrible. They don't take the WWE approach Dana takes? Nonsense why is Cung Le in the main event on an event where there's a title fight and why is Hershal Walker fighting then? There is absolutley nothing wrong with marketing guys, you make it sound like a crime. The right way to hype a fight is the way I said. Obviously real MMA fans know who Zaromskis but you know I meant casual, which are the majority, which is the concern because thats where the money is.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can't agree at all. UFC have all the good LHW's? Last time i checked Arona, Babalu and Mousasi were all decent LHW's and as for WW, Diaz, Mr. Z and Shields when he moves back down are all top 10.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True but I think he meant the majority are in the UFC. Is Arona at SF yet? Either way 9 out of 10 are in the UFC and you left out Sokudju and King Mo. Possibly Hendo as well, there LHW division isn't too bad if Arona has gone there. Possibly Filhio as well but he will probably be at MW. And for WW, Hieron isn't a bad fighter either.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:52 am

Cung Le is a former champion and San Jose is his home town. He's a god in San Jose. He's unlikely to ever be champion again, so strikeforce need to make money off him now.

Herschal Walker is fighting because he wants to fight. He's never going to be a champion so Strikeforce need to make money off him while they can.

Zaromskis is a top ranked title contender who holds a belt in a major organization. Win or lose against Diaz he'll still become well known and still be top fighter. He's never going to be a huge draw for them because he doesn't speak English and he doesn't have a great career behind him or an insane life like say Kimbo. Strikeforce don't feed people cans to make them look impressive if they're already a top fighter. Zaromskis is a top fighter. Lashley on the other hand isn't, but he's a big name. Thus, he will get a can.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:15 am

So the point is they do WWE-style book and there is nothing wrong with that. Its what they need to do now and thats fanatstic. I know Le and Walker are huge draws.

Zaromskis isn't an easy guy to market but he should have been marketed the same way the UFC marketed Cro Cop. Get an easy win and he's a star. Not only do the fans get to know him, Zaromskis get a feel of the US atmosphere, it helps ease him in. It will help him get over jet lag and those issues that a lot of foreign fighters suffer from. Plus Hieron gets a title shot. Define top fighter, Zaromskis isn't Fedor and thats a top fighter. He only became a star recently. About 6 months ago.

Are you sure he doesn't speak English? he has been living and training out of England for some time now and im sure I heard him speak English in an interview not too long ago.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:24 am

Zaromskis does speak English, he's been based at London Shootfighters for a few years now.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:42 am

Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:Zaromskis does speak English, he's been based at London Shootfighters for a few years now.

He speaks Pigeon. I wouldn't call it English though.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:45 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:So the point is they do WWE-style book and there is nothing wrong with that. Its what they need to do now and thats fanatstic. I know Le and Walker are huge draws.

Zaromskis isn't an easy guy to market but he should have been marketed the same way the UFC marketed Cro Cop. Get an easy win and he's a star. Not only do the fans get to know him, Zaromskis get a feel of the US atmosphere, it helps ease him in. It will help him get over jet lag and those issues that a lot of foreign fighters suffer from. Plus Hieron gets a title shot. Define top fighter, Zaromskis isn't Fedor and thats a top fighter. He only became a star recently. About 6 months ago.

Are you sure he doesn't speak English? he has been living and training out of England for some time now and im sure I heard him speak English in an interview not too long ago.

The worst thing that ever happened to CroCop was they gave him a can. They should have put him straight in with a top fighter. Fighters need motivation to perform. Well, some do. But i'd put Zaromskis in that category. He's struggled in the past against cans but he's performed much better against top fighters.

If Zaromskis loses to Diaz he doesn't lose anything other than a fight. No1 that doesn't know him expects him to win. Most people that do know him don't expect him to win. So unless he gets beaten in the first 10 seconds he's got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Worst case scenario is he loses and fights a bum next. He's still the Dream WW champion.

Top fighter is anyone in the top 10 in their weight class. Fedor is THE top fighter.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:48 am

Sounds understandable to me.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:56 am

I don't understand how destorying Eddie Sanchez and Al-Turk was the worst thing ever for Cro Cop. Or are you saying Gonzaga is a can?

At the end of the day you have to earn your shots, and Zaromskis hasn't earned it yet while Hieron has. Thats one thing, instead of pissing your fighter of you can just keep true to your word and give him a title shot and give Zaromskis a feel of the US atmosphere. At the end of the day he wants to win his fight and the title, he isn't going into the fight with your mentality that worst case this happens. They shouldn't even give him a can, just a beatable, popular fighter and Baroni would have been excellent. Instant hero among the fans and it makes him look like, what he really is and that is a legit threat to Diaz and his title. Strikeforce need to realise everyone who watches SF, doesn't neccessarily mean the watch DREAM.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:00 am

cannot wait for this fight gonna be amazing
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:02 am

Thanks for that Moose, I knew he spoke English.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:13 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I don't understand how destorying Eddie Sanchez and Al-Turk was the worst thing ever for Cro Cop. Or are you saying Gonzaga is a can?

At the end of the day you have to earn your shots, and Zaromskis hasn't earned it yet while Hieron has. Thats one thing, instead of pissing your fighter of you can just keep true to your word and give him a title shot and give Zaromskis a feel of the US atmosphere. At the end of the day he wants to win his fight and the title, he isn't going into the fight with your mentality that worst case this happens. They shouldn't even give him a can, just a beatable, popular fighter and Baroni would have been excellent. Instant hero among the fans and it makes him look like, what he really is and that is a legit threat to Diaz and his title. Strikeforce need to realise everyone who watches SF, doesn't neccessarily mean the watch DREAM.

Gonzaga's not a can but he's not a top fighter.

CroCop fights his best when he fights the best fighters. Look at his career. Brilliant against the likes of Barnett, Wandi, Coleman, Herring(top 10 at the time),even in loses against Fedor and Nog. Horrendous against kickbags like Mark Hunt and the like. Mirko needs to have the best fighter put in front of him of he's not really arsed. Especially at that point in his career. He was coming off the OW GP win and should have gone straight in against Couture or Sylvia.

What has Hieron done to earn anything? What has Diaz ever done at 170 to deserve this title shot? Zaromskis just won the WW GP in Dream. He's done more than anyone to earn his shot!

"Instead of pissing off your fighters you should stay true to your word". What, like the UFC do??

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:21 am