THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
Paolo_73
Moose Stuff For Money...
manschesthair_utd
rudeboyben84
8 posters

Monson to Strikeforce...

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Monson to Strikeforce... Empty Monson to Strikeforce...

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:53 pm

http://mmabay.co.uk/monson%20joining%20strikeforce.html

Monson going to Strikeforce and apparently cutting to 205! thats a hell of a weight cut, Monson is all muscle and is probabally pushing 240 these days. He is certainly a good addtion, He gave Nelson a 50/50 fight and is a good veteran name to add to the roster.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Monson to Strikeforce... Empty Re: Monson to Strikeforce...

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:54 pm

presumably the Fulton fight is still on right?

anyway i dont see why he can't fight at heavyweight.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:01 pm

Yeah mate as far as I know its still on, I dont see why he doesnt fight at heavy but maby just looking to reinvent himself at Lhw. He has 0 standup so maby being able to outmuscle guys at 205 will be a good thing. Strikeforce are really laking 205ers though so maby trying to bulk out the devision.

Having said that would Monson vs Sefo not been a really cool fight at heavyweight?
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:49 am

Another good addition to the Strikeforce roster, the weight cut does seem a bit much though.

Does anyone know if Strikeforce have any plans to increase the number of big events next year?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:06 am

No Idea if they will increase the amount of big shows but id guess so with an increasing roster. Monson is listed at 247 on Wikipedia! I very much doubt the Lhw thing is true if he has signed with them. Id say he will stay at heavy. 250lbs is a big ol heavy.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:36 pm

Monson must have the heaviest bone structure ever to be weighing in at 250, he's only about 5'8"!!

I must admit I'm not excited by his fighting style, and he's probably only just top 15 at best, but it does show that Strikeforce is growing and growing.

Including the ShoMMA events they've put on 8 shows in 7 months since April this year, so I don't expect them to increase that significantly, just perhaps reshape their structure to make each show a full Strikeforce show with a ShoMMA level undercard.

Who thinks Strikeforce are starting to become a legit threat to the UFC?? I have to say Fedor vs Rogers was the card of the year for me this year, and I love their production (unless it's screened on the M1 steadicam!)........
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:19 pm

good signing for strikeforce Monson is a good fighter wonder who will they match him up with first antonio silva maybe
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:54 pm

I think I know why he doesn't want to fight at heavyweight...

Monson to Strikeforce... Fedor_emelianenko_10
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:12 pm

hendos_right_hook wrote:I think I know why he doesn't want to fight at heavyweight...

Monson to Strikeforce... Fedor_emelianenko_10

funny that, he left the UFC so he could fight Fedor and he was supposed to fight him but something happened and he was replaced by Matt Lindland.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:26 pm

Ahhhh I didn't know that, before my time Smile
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:49 pm

Lindland Laughing what a shit replacment!! I like Monson, mostly because he fights every week and my coach got on well with him (probabally because there both anarchists! Laughing He is a cool character although has the worlds worst standup. Someone posted the video of him trying to hit the speed ball in a guy and it was cringe worthy stuff.

Antonio Silva is a great fight because both nearly cracked the top 10 before their last losses. They are both top 15-20 so Its a fight that makes sence. Id Still like to see Sefo fighting one of them.

Speaking of K-1 fighers Id love to see Strikeforce look to sign JLB if he is finished with K-1 he has a great MMA record and at 265lbs would be a great addition as a monster striker.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:55 pm

MMAjunkie says monson hasnt inked the deal yet... monson said..

"We're talking to Strikeforce right now, and the hope is that at the end of the year to sign with them and have that matchup (against Emelianenko)," Monson stated. "That's a fight I think I can win, and it would be dream matchup for me."

Why does he think he will get a fight with Fedor? He needs to be top 10 ranked for it to be credible. Barnett, Overeem and Werdum are still waiting on their shot! Get in line Monson! Laughing
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:09 am

I think Monson is a good test for Fedor. He's got a solid chin, good wrestling and he's great on the ground. I think Ben is being a bit unkind. He's not got the quickest hands and his hand/eye is obviously not the best but he's decent on his feet, not good but decent. He gave Chuck Liddell a decent stand-up fight back in the day.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:03 pm

Fedor would easily beat Monson. Did you watch his last fight against a shot Rizzo, his standup was horrible. His grappling is good but Fedor is better, Fedor would easily win this fight.

Werdum has the best chance because of his BJJ background, and his standup is OK and can avoid the big shots. Don't know how he will get Fedor to the ground though. Still has a much better chance than Monson. I doubt Overoid can beat Fedor beyond a big right hand (that would be the saddest day in MMA). They have to fight anyway so Fedor can get the title, Hendo vs Fedor would be a good fight.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:24 pm

Werdum is going to fight Arlovski apparently, If he can beat Arlovski he will get his chance. Before then Overoid will fight Fedor... Monson is no were near a shot at Fedor! they shouldnt even be spoke about in the same sentince! Laughing Have you ever seen Monson hit the speed bad? You think his standup was poor against Rizzo... you gotta see this!! I think its on the pics and Videos section, Well worth a watch for a laugh.

Overoids chin will be exposed in the fight with Fedor, Overoid is best when he totally overwhelms fighers and I think Fedor would stay too calm and plant him... Heavy Hands + Weak Chin = Big Trouble! Watch the Overoid vs Buentello fight, The Headhunter is giving Overoid all sorts of trouble before the TD. I think he is about as Dangerous as Avlovksi was, and offers the same type of threat.

If Anyone beat Fedor id love it to be Hendo but id hate to hear Dana rant on about how a UFC "Reject" beat him though! lol!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:46 pm

Werdum vs Arlovski 2?

why? the first one was boring.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:48 pm

Terrible fight but I think Werdum needs something to keep him busy while Fedor fights Overeem etc..
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:02 pm

First one was truley horrible but I think this one will be better. Not sure why there giving Arvloski such a tough fight after two losses, really unfair on him. Its a tough fight for Werdum as well but these are the kind of fights he needs to win to prove he deserves to fight Fedor. It should be better than last time.

ave you ever seen Monson hit the speed bad? You think his standup was poor against Rizzo... you gotta see this!! I think its on the pics and Videos section, Well worth a watch for a laugh.

Haha thanks il check it out.

The Arlvoksi that fought Fedor is a completey different threat than Overoid. Arvloski has very good technichal boxing, a lot of power as well buts thats not his main game. He was quicker than Fedor in there fight, Fedor is probably faster than Overoid in the standup. I think Overoid will look to use his grappling, something Arvloski didn't at all, to avoid the standup of Fedor. Still it looks Overoid is fucked wherever the fight goes.

"If Anyone beat Fedor id love it to be Hendo but id hate to hear Dana rant on about how a UFC "Reject" beat him though! lol!"

He would definitley say that and it the sad thing is, casual fans would belive him Mad No

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:57 am