THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

3 posters

Will Title win get Monson back in the big leagues?

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Will Title win get Monson back in the big leagues? Empty Will Title win get Monson back in the big leagues?

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:29 pm

Monson just Won the ISKA Heavyweight World Title last night against now 23-6-0
    Tony Lopez. Lopez is a solid win and this is now Monsons 7th in a row and only 2nd decision of the 7 fights.

Monson left the UFC after a failed Title shot against Tim Sylvia where he struggled to get Tim down and keep him there. For all his faults Tim has decent defence against Grapplers, like in the Nog fight for the most part anyway!

Since that loss he has won 18 fights and lost 5. He has a few good names on that list like, Ironhead, Roy Nelson, Ricco Rodriguez, Sergei Kharitonov

Sure he isnt going to win the Title but its strange to me such a high level fighter hasnt been picked up by Zuffa.

Monson's next fight is at the end of the month, 20-2-1 Maro Perak.

I would really hope a win would at least get him back to Strikeforce becuase a guy with his Grappling could go in there and choke out guys like V.Overeem. UFC have guys like Beltran on their roster that no doubt he could make shot work of too.

I read that he says he would like to fight every 60 days ideally but he has a family to feed and needs to fight often in the small organisations. The guy will have fought 12 times since 2010 and 12 different countries since 2009. The guy work so hard and has and finishes more that 2/3 of his fights so it puzzles me why he is still in the minor leagues.

Ive so much respect for Monson as a figher and Id love to see him made an offer to see out the rest of his career with Zuffa.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Will Title win get Monson back in the big leagues? Empty Re: Will Title win get Monson back in the big leagues?

Post  2brutal Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:36 pm

Monson is a better fighter than several of the he in ufc strikeforce, Tim Hague Joey belt ran ?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Will Title win get Monson back in the big leagues? Empty Re: Will Title win get Monson back in the big leagues?

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:55 pm

Yeah mate theres plenty of UFC guys I could see him choking out. He says he is still hoping to make the cut to 205 but doesnt want to do it in the minor leagues. The only fight outside the UFC he will cut for is a Rubbermatch with Ricco.

I would love to see them give him a run at the SF Lhw belt, anyone whos grappling isnt up to speed at 205 would get their limbs pulled off because I dont think there are many 205ers big and strong enough to keep Monson off them for 15mins.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:16 pm

The problem with Monson is his private life. He's been arrested a bunch of times for a bunch of different reasons since he left the UFC.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:49 pm

Has he been very outspoken about the UFC though? UFC allow nut cases like Ramage and Leben to fight there, there are UFC guys arrested all the time. I think if Monson hasnt been overly outspoken about UFC he could get back in with Zuffa. He said he has a good relationship with UFC himself.

You dont think we will see him in UFC or SF then?

Be a shame really

Will Title win get Monson back in the big leagues? 0,1020,1288532,00

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:16 pm