THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
manschesthair_utd
ChelseaQuinsfan
Burrso
rudeboyben84
8 posters

Saunders vs Swick 2?

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Saunders vs Swick 2? Empty Saunders vs Swick 2?

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:46 pm

http://mmabay.co.uk/Story%2003555.html

Id really like to see it happen, Saunders is probabally the most if not one of the most entertaining fighers and although he got smashed in the 1st fight I believe him when he said it was an off night. Its a rematch id love to see because to be honest the 1st fight didnt quite live up to expectation

Im a big fan of Saunders, I hope he continues improving because id love to see him in the Tite mix.

Just a thought about the 170lbs title contenders... anyone else think that Kos should fight Fitch who is ranked above him before he starts demanding shots?
    Burrso
    Burrso
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Saunders vs Swick 2? Empty Re: Saunders vs Swick 2?

Post  Burrso Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:57 pm

Would like to see this happen as well

Saunders is looking like he is getting better all round
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:06 pm

I agree, Saunders had an off night. Saunders is back on the way up and Swick is going back down, they should fight again. I think Saunders would really take things seriously. I thought Saunders demolition job of Wolfe was one of the most brutal ass kickings in the octagon. It was BRUTAL.

Also I agree that Kos should fight Fitch BUT there training partners, won't happen. Fitch is a far superior fighter to Kos anyway, Kos might have better wrestling but Fitch is a better all round grappler. Alves is still there as well. Alves and Fitch are the best WW fighters after GSP but both were beaten comprehensivley. Hardy is next for GSP so what I think should happen is:

Saunders vs Swick II or Saudners vs Rumble or Swick vs Rumble.

Kos vs Daley

Alves vs Thiago

Fitch vs Pierce (confirmed)

The winner of the first fight should take on the winner of the 4th fight and the winner of the second fight should take on the winner of the 3rd fight. The winner overall gets a shot and I would assume it ends up being Alves vs Fitch to determine the number one contender. It would be good if the UFC can get some new WWs as well. I don't think Zamouriskas could beat the majority of the guys above so that leaves Shields, Diaz and possibly Hieron. Id love to see Shields vs Fitch and Diaz vs Alves.

In the mean time GSP can fight Silva.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:36 pm

i agree, i think it would be a good fight for both guys.

BTW i thought it was confirmed that Daley was fighting Carlos Condit?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:43 pm

Yeah mate that fight is confirmed but I like the sound of all the other fights... I really think that Diaz would make waves in UFC's WW devision, I cant wait to see him back in action in Strikeforce or Dream but him vs Alves would be a superfight, I wouldnt mind seeing whitemare having a crack at Alves
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:13 am

Anyone know how many fights Kos has left on his deal?? I can see him leaving if the UFC continue to give title shots to average fighters instead of to him. Does no1 remember his fight with GSP?? He was winning the fight until he forgot how to wrestle!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:26 pm

"Anyone know how many fights Kos has left on his deal?? I can see him leaving if the UFC continue to give title shots to average fighters instead of to him. Does no1 remember his fight with GSP?? He was winning the fight until he forgot how to wrestle!"

He doesn't deserve one yet, he was KOed by an a then unknown not too long ago. Plus he was easily defeated by Alves before that. Hardy is the first average fighter that has got a title shot, its not like its been happening on a continous basis. Both Fitch and Alves are better than Kos. While Kos has won impressivley in his last two fights they were against Frank Trigg who was passed it 10 years ago and was never great-and Rumble who doesn't have any good wins on his record. If GSP fought Kos again, it would be another easy victory for GSP.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:05 pm

Its a funny one this one . Saunders is one of my favourite ufc fighters and deserves to be moving up the ladder, however swick outclassed him in the first fight. Maybe another fight against a davis-level guy then maybe a fight against a top five contender ?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:44 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:"Anyone know how many fights Kos has left on his deal?? I can see him leaving if the UFC continue to give title shots to average fighters instead of to him. Does no1 remember his fight with GSP?? He was winning the fight until he forgot how to wrestle!"

He doesn't deserve one yet, he was KOed by an a then unknown not too long ago. Plus he was easily defeated by Alves before that. Hardy is the first average fighter that has got a title shot, its not like its been happening on a continous basis. Both Fitch and Alves are better than Kos. While Kos has won impressivley in his last two fights they were against Frank Trigg who was passed it 10 years ago and was never great-and Rumble who doesn't have any good wins on his record. If GSP fought Kos again, it would be another easy victory for GSP.

Was anything but an easy win the first time. Kos was winning that fight when he was relying on his wrestling.

He took the Alves fight on 2 weeks notice and Alves had massacred Karo and Hughes before that and was on the roll of his life.

And the KO loss to PT was a fluke. Let them fight again if that's what's needed.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:07 pm

"Was anything but an easy win the first time. Kos was winning that fight when he was relying on his wrestling.

He took the Alves fight on 2 weeks notice and Alves had massacred Karo and Hughes before that and was on the roll of his life.

And the KO loss to PT was a fluke. Let them fight again if that's what's needed."

No I didn't mean there first fight was easy, I meant GSPs last fights have been pretty easy and this will be another easy one. GSP was asleep in the first round, he woke up and outwrestled Kos. Kos still tried to use his wrestling but GSP avoided all his takedowns. Kos, beyond a big left or right posses little problems.

A very wise guy told me that (Manchesthair) In MMA there is never such a thing as a fluke. Thiago threw the punch with the intention of hurting Kos and thats what he did. Same with Serra-GSP and its even the same with Coleman-Shogun 1. In MMA, the intention is to hurt your opponent. Thats what Thiago did.

Fair enough Kos only had 2 weeks to prepare but he could not take Alves down. Whatever he did, he couldn't do it. Personally I think Kos would pose a much bigger threat to GSP than Hardy but before everyone puts him next in line, you can't forget Fitch. Fitch beat Thiago, Thiago beat Kos. Therefore Fitch is higher placed than Kos.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:11 pm

Fitch had a title shot and got battered. Kos gave GSP a much harder fight than Fitch.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:00 pm

Firstly the GSP that battered Fitch was a lot better than the GSP who fought Kos.
    Secondly the Fitch fight was 5 rounds, Kos only 3. I think if Kos took the damage Fitch took he would have been finished.
    alex6674
    alex6674
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  alex6674 Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:17 pm

Agree with Anfield; Fitch has had his shot, and i think Kos is near the top of the list. Kos v Hardy eliminator-that would be superb, there would defo be a lot of bad blood and trash talk going on too!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:29 pm

Fitch has had his shot, and i think Kos is near the top of the list

Kos had his shot at GSP as well. Id love to see the trash talk between Kos and Hardy as well but I think its a very simple fight for Kos, and an even easier fight for GSP.

Hardy<Kos<Fitch and Alves< GSP
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:47 pm

Hardy has a puncher's chance against GSP, if Serra can KO him then Hardy can. Having said that Hardy rocked both Davis and Swick but didn't finish the fights. I'd be very surprised if Hardy could get the win though and would expect GSP to dominate him. Koscheck should beat Hardy as well.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:01 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Firstly the GSP that battered Fitch was a lot better than the GSP who fought Kos.
    Secondly the Fitch fight was 5 rounds, Kos only 3. I think if Kos took the damage Fitch took he would have been finished.

No it was the same bump and grind GSP who fought bought. He had made his big improvement before the Kos fight.

Kos didn't take the damage because Kos was giving him a better fight.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:45 pm

Saunders still pushing for the rematch...

“I would love a rematch with Mike Swick. If it was up to me, without a doubt Mike Swick would be my next fight. I would get that loss off my record. We had a game plan and everything set up. Mentally I was feeling phenomenal. Physically I was in the best shape of my life. Then I ended up getting cracked ribs before that fight, so it kind of changed everything. I had to change my game plan up pretty much spur of the moment just how the fight would go to see what I could and could not do with my situation.”

“Anybody that’s seen my jiu-jitsu, not saying that Swick isn’t a good quality opponent, but he ain’t no jiu-jitsu black belt. He’s not known for being so ridiculously dominant on the ground. I couldn’t really do anything. I felt like a turtle upside down. Even though I had all these techniques in my mind of what I wanted to do off my back, physically I felt I was unable to perform any of it.”

“What it came down to was financially I had to fight. I got an injury two days before flying out to Germany. It was unprofessional on my part. It was kind of a messed up situation where I didn’t really know what to do or how serious the injury was completely before flying out. I just did what I felt was best for me and the UFC.”

“I didn’t even have enough money to pay my bills the next month. I had three fights in the UFC, but that Swick fight would have been two years since I joined up with them. I quit my job. This is pretty much what I do for a living. They pay me well, but unfortunately I haven’t been able to fight as much as I wanted to. I got that Hazelett fight that they set me up with and I broke my toe. I ended up re-breaking it two or three months later and it put me out all the way to June.”

“Props to him none the less because he came out and did what he was supposed to do. He came out and fought me and beat the Ben Saunders that was put in front of him, but I just wish I would have been able to fight him under other circumstances. It was unprofessional on my part to even take that fight. It was a bad choice. I thought I’d still be able to go out there and still win.”
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:09 pm

No it was the same bump and grind GSP who fought bought. He had made his big improvement before the Kos fight.

Kos didn't take the damage because Kos was giving him a better fight.

No GSP improves with every fight, the one that fought Fitch was a lot better than the one who just came off a loss to Serra.

I Say lets just have Fitch fight Kos to show who the better fighter is while Hardy fights GSP. Fitch KOed Alves, Kos got his ass kicked for three rounds. Fitch and Alves are the best the WW has to offer besides GSP, its that simple.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 2:30 pm