THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
Anfields5thKing
Moose Stuff For Money...
The_Axe_Emperor
payneNglory1
8 posters

Ben Saunders released from the UFC following Aug. 7 loss to Dennis Hallman

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Ben Saunders released from the UFC following Aug. 7 loss to Dennis Hallman  Empty Ben Saunders released from the UFC following Aug. 7 loss to Dennis Hallman

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:45 pm

Ben Saunders released from the UFC following Aug. 7 loss to Dennis Hallman  Saundersheadkick.aim640_medium

"Killa B" announces the unfortunate news via his official Facebook page

"Sorry everyone I tried to fight my best these past two fights but ended up getting outworked. The UFC has officially cut me. The good news is they told me to work on my wrestling and ground game and then come back. So that is all I am going to be doing, improving dramatically and show them I belong. Much respect to Swick, Fitch, and Hallman as they were the better men on those nights and have my full respect. To fight such names is a true honor."

I didn't see this cut coming really.

Not totally unjust,afterall he has lost 3 of his last 4 and he shouldn't really be losing to Hallman nowadays,but still,he has a good few highlight reel KO's on his record,he looked amazing against marcus davis and he did step up to take on the #2 WW on short notice.

But to be fair,he does need to work on his wrestling and IMO,he would of probably have been better off fighting and building himself up against lower ranked newcomers on a few more fight night cards first before being put on main PPV cards.
    So maybe this will be a good thing for him in the end.

though to be honest,I wouldn't mind seeing him in strikeforce,especially now Scott Smith has decided to drop weight,also a fight against cyborg would be entertaining IMO.

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Ben Saunders released from the UFC following Aug. 7 loss to Dennis Hallman  Empty Re: Ben Saunders released from the UFC following Aug. 7 loss to Dennis Hallman

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:08 pm

Didn't see this coming but as you pointed out its not totally uncalled for. Was shocked that he lost so comprehensively to Hallman but thats just his TDD that he needs to sort, however a guy as tall as him is always gonna be easier to take down compared to the smaller guys with a lower centre of gravity.

Maybe he should move up to 185lbs? How do you guys think he'd do there, i'd give him a good shot against the likes of Belcher, Leben and Lawler.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Ben Saunders released from the UFC following Aug. 7 loss to Dennis Hallman  Empty Re: Ben Saunders released from the UFC following Aug. 7 loss to Dennis Hallman

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:08 pm

I'm surprised by this, Saunders is usually good to watch.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:10 pm

Will be a good signing for Strikeforce. Such an exciting fighter.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:23 pm

He'll probably pick up a few wins at smaller shows outside UFC, and then come back with them. From the article above it does seem they have an understanding between them.

I think the same will happen to Jardine.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:49 pm

Thats what I think will happen too,I also think that is a reason daley has taken his time and has still not signed a strikeforce contract yet,I think he will,but I think thats more down to the fact of him losing hope that the UFC would ever forgive him and give him another shot.

I would like to see Saunders sign for strikeforce though because he's an entertaining fighter that i'd like the chance to see his next fights(which is usually hard finding them on some of these smaller shows).
    I think there are some good match ups for him there as well,against the likes of Scott Smith,Cyborg,Riggs,Zaromskis,Heiron etc,plus they have alot of lower skilled wrestlers on there WW rosta that would be a good enough level and test for him to improve from,unlike the level of wrestlers he's had no chance against in the UFC.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:26 pm

Gutted, love the "B"
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:46 pm

thats the ufc's loss ben is one of the most exciting fighters in the world imo
    Heterocyclic
    Heterocyclic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Heterocyclic Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:33 am

redmeanie77 wrote:He'll probably pick up a few wins at smaller shows outside UFC, and then come back with them. From the article above it does seem they have an understanding between them.

I think the same will happen to Jardine.

I'm sure we'll see a lot of this in the future. Get a few decent wins at various shows and they may get called back, rather than get tied up in an exclusive contract with another promotion.

Ben sounds really gracious in getting cut too, hope he makes it back. Some good fights.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:51 pm