THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+10
sunthunder
The_Axe_Emperor
mikeyboybisping
ChelseaQuinsfan
Heterocyclic
Shanemc
Anfields5thKing
payneNglory1
wilksdaman
rudeboyben84
14 posters

UFC's loss Strikeforces gain...

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

UFC's loss Strikeforces gain... Empty UFC's loss Strikeforces gain...

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:56 pm

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2010/08/01/paul-%E2%80%9Csemtex%E2%80%9D-daley-signs-a-six-fight-contract-with-strikeforce-evangelista-%E2%80%9Ccyborg%E2%80%9D-santos-up-first/

SF just signed top 10 Ww Paul Daley! His 1st fight is going to be Cybory Santos... anyone see a repeat of Cyborg vs Manhoef??? Awsome news. Winner of this gives Diaz a credible fight at 170lbs for sure.
    wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

UFC's loss Strikeforces gain... Empty Re: UFC's loss Strikeforces gain...

Post  wilksdaman Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:13 pm

Good job UFC. You just handed over a top 10, possibly 5 welterweight right over to your biggest competitors.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:30 pm

thats a great signing for Strikeforce and Daley,if it comes off and I'm happy for Daley,that he is going to be getting the publicity his skills warrent in a big Org instead of wasting his time flitting between smaller Orgs.

I thought he might have stayed away from Strikeforce with the hope that the UFC might have gave him another chance down the line,but obviously the chances of that happening are pretty slim,and he'll be wasting time and money waiting,so I don't blame him one bit,he's got to look after No1 and the money he'll make off his Strikeforce contract,I would imagine will dwarf what he can make out of these little Orgs(thats if these Orgs actually end up paying there fighters Mad ),plus he has stability and the fact he'll be fighting in front of a far bigger audience at Strikeforce.

I think Dana was right for the company in making the stand and cutting him,after what he did,but this is deffinitely the UFC's loss and Strikeforces gain.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:36 pm

I assume this means he's not fighting on the Shark Fights card?? Good signing for Strikeforce. Still think he needs to beat a credible grappler to be ranked as one of the top WW in the world but SF have some decent fights for him.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:38 pm

According to the article,he'll still be fighting on the shark fight card and in the golden glory 8 man tourney,
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:24 pm

Ah ok, cheers mate. I'm posting off my blackberry. Came away and left my laptop at home. Two weeks without it, bit much.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:32 pm

No probs bud
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:53 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:I assume this means he's not fighting on the Shark Fights card?? Good signing for Strikeforce. Still think he needs to beat a credible grappler to be ranked as one of the top WW in the world but SF have some decent fights for him.

Dustin Hazelett?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Paul Daley hasn't signed with Strikeforce, fighter weighing options

Former Cage Rage champion and recent UFC fighter Paul Daley has not signed with Strikeforce.

Despite reports of a completed six-figure deal, Strikeforce spokesperson Mike Afromowitz today told MMAjunkie,no deal has been reached with the British fighter. Additionally, a representative for Daley said the fighter is weighing multiple options.

Daley currently is slated to fight at next month's Shark Fights 13 event as part of a one-fight deal with the promotion.

"At this point, I'm not really in a position to comment at this point and time," Wad Alameddine of Fight Management told MMAjunkie.com. "We've definitely been talking to Strikeforce, and we've been talking to a number of different groups. But right now, I'm in a position where I can't make any comment on that, unfortunately."

Daley, who's ranked among the world's top 10 at 170 pounds, also is one of the sport's top free agents. However, he only became available after UFC officials terminated his contract following UFC 113. After dropping a unanimous decision to Josh Koscheck at the May event, Daley threw a post-fight punch at his rival. UFC president Dana White condemned the action and announced the fighter's termination just an hour later in the night's post-fight press conference.

Despite the loss and the criticism he received, Daley nonetheless owns a solid 24-9-2 record, and he's won five of his past six fights (all via stoppage). Most recently, he submitted Daniel Acacio (21-9 at the time) at July's Impact FC 2 event in Australia.

An opponent has not been named for his upcoming Shark Fights 13 bout, which is part of the deepest fight card in the Texas-based promotion's history.

If signed, Daley, who counts 18 knockouts among his 24 career wins, would join a Strikeforce welterweight division currently ruled by champ Nick Diaz. Other notables in the weight class include Jay Hieron, Andre Galvao, Joe Riggs, Tyron Woodley and Marius Zaromskis.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/20135/officials-paul-daley-hasnt-signed-with-strikeforce-fighter-weighing-options.mma
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:06 am

Shanemc wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:I assume this means he's not fighting on the Shark Fights card?? Good signing for Strikeforce. Still think he needs to beat a credible grappler to be ranked as one of the top WW in the world but SF have some decent fights for him.

Dustin Hazelett?

Hazelett is a good grappler, but not a top class fighter. And he stood in front of Daley with his hands wide and his chin up.
    Heterocyclic
    Heterocyclic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Heterocyclic Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:08 am

MMAjunkie never gets it wrong.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:46 am

Daley has never beat a decent wrestler. He was taken down and controlled by Kos and Thompson and taken down and subbed by Shields, Kitaoka and Healy. Anyone with decent takedowns has been able to beat him easily. He needs to sort out his takedown defence I think, it seems to me like he will never be able to fight off his back, which is fine. Most fighters today can't, but if he can stop the takedowns he can be a really good fighter.

Worst matchups on paper for him at SF are Hieron because of his wrestling, Diaz because of his BJJ and some time down the road possibly Woodley and Coy.

I think he beats Hieron easily, he'll KO before he has a chance to shoot but Diaz is a tougher one. If Diaz tries to trade lather with him, Diaz will go to sleep but if Diaz can get him down then its over.
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  mikeyboybisping Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:54 pm

Big loss for the UFC, Daley could blast out anyone at the weight.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:01 pm

jimmyboypost wrote:Big loss for the UFC, Daley could blast out anyone at the weight.

Except anyone with the slightest hint of wrestling.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:11 pm

Daley's wrestling was actually pretty decent against Koscheck I thought. The fact he was able to stuff even a few takedowns and escape a few times was extremely encouraging. Koscheck is arguable the number 2/3 wrestler at 170.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm

yes he has a weakness to wrestling...doesnt mean wrestlers are immune to his power shots to the chin!
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:23 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:yes he has a weakness to wrestling...doesnt mean wrestlers are immune to his power shots to the chin!

What are the chances that he lands one of those powers shots whilst on his back? And thats where hes gonna be more often than not when he faces wrestlers, as we've seen with the fights with Kos and Shields, they aren't stupid enough to stand with him. What, do you think Daley has a chance against Fitch or even GSP? I think not. I'd love to see him improve his takedown defense and just utilize sprawl and brawl ala Cro Cop but with his attitude i just dont see it happening.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:29 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:
    manschesthair_utd wrote:yes he has a weakness to wrestling...doesnt mean wrestlers are immune to his power shots to the chin!

What are the chances that he lands one of those powers shots whilst on his back? And thats where hes gonna be more often than not when he faces wrestlers, as we've seen with the fights with Kos and Shields, they aren't stupid enough to stand with him. What, do you think Daley has a chance against Fitch or even GSP? I think not. I'd love to see him improve his takedown defense and just utilize sprawl and brawl ala Cro Cop but with his attitude i just dont see it happening.

Thats why he will never be in the top of the division. Only with a puncher's chance, a la Matt Serra
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:31 pm

My point exactly, hendos_right_hook.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:44 pm

There's a difference between not being able to beat GSP/Koscheck/Shields (top the division) and being completely vulnerable to anyone with a hint of wrestling. The idea "oh his wrestling isn't good enough to make him champion" does not mean his wrestling is worthless entirely. I think he's going to wreck Diaz if he signs with Strikeforce.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:48 pm

It doesn't appear his wrestling is his only weakness though, thats the thing. I believe his all round grappling is also in question.

Diaz will sub him.

Last edited by The_Axe_Emperor on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:28 pm

wilksdaman wrote:Good job UFC. You just handed over a top 10, possibly 5 welterweight right over to your biggest competitors.

Top 5? My ballix is he top 5, in fact he would be lucky to be 10th in my top 10
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:31 pm

He will never beat Nick Diaz. No chance
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:11 pm

come on guys! you must get it by now!!
    the super one dimensional fighters such as daley, aoki, pat barry, maia....ALWAYS have a chance.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:15 pm

How does he have no chance against Diaz? He's a better striker, with good takedown defense and with a lot more power. Honestly, Diaz is one of the most over-rated fighters here. Zaromskis had him in big trouble not all that long ago, and Diaz hasn't fought any real top quality fighters in a long time.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 3:30 am