THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

Swick's changed his tune

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Swick's changed his tune Empty Swick's changed his tune

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Mike Swick and Dan Hardy have never appeared to be the best of friends. Of course, Hardy beat Swick to earn a welterweight title shot in November and then Swick talked publicly about how he didn't believe Hardy had done enough to truly earn that shot.

So with that in mind, you might be surprised to hear that Swick has changed his tune about Hardy's right to face Georges St-Pierre later this month at UFC 111 and his chances of pulling off the upset in Newark, NJ.

"Hardy can definitely win. Overall, GSP has the better chances to win, of course, but Hardy is getting better and better and, honestly, I am more excited to see this GSP fight versus Hardy than pretty much anyone else you could put GSP in with," Swick recently said.

"I am super excited about the fight; I can't wait to see what happens as a MMA fan. Dan can definitely win this if he takes his chances with his strikes.

Time seems to have healed Swick's wounds, because he now believes Hardy deserves a shot at the 170-pound champion after all.

"Dan Hardy definitely deserves his title shot in Newark. I said in a few interviews he didn't but - I want to clear the air - when I said that I was still upset I'd got beat by him at UFC 105. I made that mistake of talking when I was feeling emotional, when I was feeling down and was disappointed in my performance. But it wasn't my true opinion; at least not one I'd actually thought about," he said.

"I'm a little embarrassed I said that, and want to say publicly Hardy deserves his shot and has a good chance of winning. He's a top fighter. I said on my Twitter I hope Dan does well and good luck to him, that he deserves shot. But obviously no-one picked up on that while the other stuff I said before was everywhere.

"Has Hardy had a fast route to the title? Yes, but he's taken chances and accepted tough fights when offered to him. It's true: if I had won that fight no-one would be saying I didn't earn it. And do I wish I'd have gotten a faster route to a number one contender fight? Of course. You wouldn't be hearing me complain, or any other welterweight complain, about getting a quicker route to a number one contender fight. He stepped up to fight me and won.

Following Swick's loss to Paulo Thiago at UFC 109, the American Kickboxing Academy member went to Thailand to work on sharpening his skills. He was rumored to be facing Matt Serra at the yet to be announced Ultimate Fight Night 22 event next month, but an elbow injury will keep him out of action indefinitely.

"I realize now I need to change up my own style. I have had the same style all my UFC career and smart fighters like Hardy and Thiago, at this elite level, can predict what I was doing if they did their homework," he said.

"Against Hardy I rushed in, like he knew I would, and he nailed me on the tip of the jaw with a left hook. Then I did same with Thiago and he choked me out while I was stunned.

"And against Thiago, I was at my best physically but now I know I made the same mistake. When you see me next, there will be some changes to my style and opponents won't be able to predict me.

With UFC 111 less than three weeks away, Swick just wants to clear the air between himself and Hardy, and it's interesting to note that he doesn't think a Hardy era as welterweight champion would be all that bad. In fact, he would welcome the change.

"Behind all the talk, I know Dan's a very good guy. We didn't have problem before or after our own fight, so there's no need to talk all this stuff now. I wish him the best. It would be very exciting for the division to have him as champion. Obviously I'd love a rematch for myself but anytime a division is shaken up its great for the sport."
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/03/09/mike-swick-dan-hardy-deserves-title-shot-against-gsp-can-defi/
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Swick's changed his tune Empty Re: Swick's changed his tune

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:49 pm

Good on you Swick,it takes a real man to admit your mistakes and it's nice to hear that he has no excuses now and knows he needs to knuckle down and work on his game.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:02 am

He's going through a real tough time with two losses... maybe trying to make himself look a little better by being beaten by a title contender? Fair play all the same
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:19 pm

Fuck Swick he is a cock, he mouthed off really badly to Ben Saunders after he won, laughed in his face and made a fool of him when he had his crew with him.

I want to see Saunders get his rematch and put Swicks nose through the back of his head in a Thai Clintch Twisted Evil
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:34 pm

I've got no problems with Swick at all,but I too would like Saunders to get his revenge.

When Saunders is on song he is a joy to watch,every Knee the guy lands makes me wince,as if it's me getting hit Laughing
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:31 pm

i like swick as a fighter but seems like a bit of a prick like the way he treated saunders but in that fight Saunders was giving as much as he was getting as all have said above i would love to see the rematch and Saunders get his revenge

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 am