THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

3 posters

Is Jones the best p4p fighter now or is it just his style is more fan friendly than GSP?

Poll

Whos top p4p fighter now?

[ 3 ]
    Is Jones the best p4p fighter now or is it just his style is more fan friendly than GSP? I_vote_lcap100%Is Jones the best p4p fighter now or is it just his style is more fan friendly than GSP? I_vote_rcap [100%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Is Jones the best p4p fighter now or is it just his style is more fan friendly than GSP? I_vote_lcap0%Is Jones the best p4p fighter now or is it just his style is more fan friendly than GSP? I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Is Jones the best p4p fighter now or is it just his style is more fan friendly than GSP? I_vote_lcap0%Is Jones the best p4p fighter now or is it just his style is more fan friendly than GSP? I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 3
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Is Jones the best p4p fighter now or is it just his style is more fan friendly than GSP? Empty Is Jones the best p4p fighter now or is it just his style is more fan friendly than GSP?

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:41 am

Jones is on a 9 fight run
    GSP is on an 11 fight run
    (Aldo is on a 15 fight run)

Jones has made 5 title defences
    GSP has made 8 title defences
    (Aldo has made 6 title defences)

Ill not compare Aldo because really GSP is the guy in contention with him right now but I was highlighting of the 3 guys who are top with Anderson losing Jones doesnt even stand out from either of them.

Before he was champ in Jones unbeaten run he fought Vlad and Vera werent top flight competition as these were in the build up to him earning a shot where as GSP's unbeaten run started with Matt Hughes and Kos to get his title back

Before that run Jones wasnt really ranked, he was on a lot of peoples radar after the Bonnar fight especially but he wasnt top of the pile in the devision.

Both men are multi skilled as they tick the 3 main boxes is Striking, Wrestling and Subs. On paper comparing stats GSP has a higher accuracy striking and absorbs less strikes, while Jones has better TDD GSP is more successfull scoring takedowns. So while Jones may be getting finishes and entertains fans more there isnt anything to point to him being more dominant in his fights or a more exceptional fighter, more finishes are due to being about 50lbs heavier and their styles of getting the job done.

GSP lost his place for having a few dull fights but IMO he should be number 1 now.

So even if we only look at recent history GSP is better but before Jones was a contender GSP had already captured UFC gold, he had beat Hughes, Penn, Sherk, Trigg, Mayhem, Hieron, Karo etc.. on a 13-1 run. Infact he had done all that before Jones threw a punch in a cage.

GSP isnt a figther I love, Give me a Jones fight any day to watch but I cant see a case for Jones being called the top p4p fighter right now.

Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Is Jones the best p4p fighter now or is it just his style is more fan friendly than GSP? Empty Re: Is Jones the best p4p fighter now or is it just his style is more fan friendly than GSP?

Post  Mryzyz Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:48 pm

I have difficulty placing JJ on any p4p list because he has had such considerable physical advantages over all his opponents. It sort of defeats the point of 'p4p'.

GSP and Aldo certainly have better technique than Jones, and the techniques Jones utilises most effectively are almost unique to himself and revolve around exploiting his physical advantages ('hand fighting' or elbows for example)

Only if you take 'p4p' to mean the most dominant in their division can you make a case for Jon Jones. And even then I think GSP edges it.

I would place Cain above Jones on any p4p list as well. In an openweight fight they would both weigh in at roughly the same and Cain would win.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Is Jones the best p4p fighter now or is it just his style is more fan friendly than GSP? Empty Re: Is Jones the best p4p fighter now or is it just his style is more fan friendly than GSP?

Post  efils_god Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:58 pm

Mryzyz wrote:I have difficulty placing JJ on any p4p list because he has had such considerable physical advantages over all his opponents. It sort of defeats the point of 'p4p'.

GSP and Aldo certainly have better technique than Jones, and the techniques Jones utilises most effectively are almost unique to himself and revolve around exploiting his physical advantages ('hand fighting' or elbows for example)

Only if you take 'p4p' to mean the most dominant in their division can you make a case for Jon Jones. And even then I think GSP edges it.

I would place Cain above Jones on any p4p list as well. In an openweight fight they would both weigh in at roughly the same and Cain would win.

Totally agree. People seem to think P4P is just comparing who has the best record in each weight class. Cain is a good shout as he almost always gives up 20 pounds of weight to opponents.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:25 pm

I suppose p4p people have trouble seperating who is best for their size or who is best for comparing their performances and records regardless of weigt class.

For me I didnt even see the need to point out JJ is a Huge Lhw, I hear so much moaning about it and in this case I didnt think it was an issue.

You climb to the top of your devision, keep beating top contenders in a stacked devision and the only way you should fall lower than a young up coming champ is when you lose or you are fighting a lesser quality of oponent.

GSP had been UFC's number 2 p4p guy ever since they started calling Anderson the top p4p figther in the world. How did he overtake GSP? In my eyes finishing fights which is stupid because like many sports there is offence and defence. GSP might not dish out the damage but he dominates and doesnt get in dangerous spots. Just looking at what they have done in their devisions GSP has lived Jones career nearly twice over, across 2 generations of fighters and stayed firmly on top.

Jones has a good case for number 3 over Aldo but a lot of that is based on 205ers being bigger names in the sport.

If were talking about size being included you would have to mention Cain is beating fighters sometimes 50lbs heavier than the ones Jones has been. Bigfoot compared to Sonnen for example! Jones doesnt rank high on a P4p list like that untill we measure how well he does at Hw I say.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:47 am