THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
superman_punch
rudeboyben84
payneNglory1
KalDog
The_Axe_Emperor
9 posters

The flaws of Jon Jones

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

The flaws of Jon Jones Empty The flaws of Jon Jones

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:04 am

Prior to UFC 98, I noted a tendency in Rashad Evans to "walk backwards." The basic tenet of boxing footwork is to lead with the leg nearest the direction you want to travel. An orthodox fighter will lead with his left leg when he wants to move forward or to the left, and his right leg when he wants to move backward or to the right. Rashad would often, for instance, lead with his right foot when stepping to his left.

Improper footwork might seem like a small problem, but it can have huge consequences. Sound footwork maintains the integrity of a proper stance (feet shoulder-width apart, bent at the knees, etc.). When you compromise that integrity, you run the risk of losing balance; losing efficiency in movement; an inability to capitalize on mistakes; and susceptibility to takedowns, leg kicks, and other offensive attacks.

Rashad's footwork flaws (he also had a tendency to leave his feet when jumping in with a punch) led to him showing us his stanky leg against Lyoto Machida. I've seen improvement since that fight, though I still see some issues with his lateral movement.

Of course, Rashad Evans lost his title shot against Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 128 to Greg Jackson-stablemate Jon Jones. And wouldn't you know it, Jon Jones has the same footwork issues!

The flaws of Jon Jones 09_jones_bader_009_large

The first instance of Jones' footwork comes early in round two at UFC 126:

The flaws of Jon Jones JonJonesTwoStep_medium

Now, that's a mistake that he can get away with given the distance between him and Bader, but this isn't an isolated example of Jones' footwork either. The problem is obvious, though: Jones makes two obvious steps forward while leading with his back foot. Notice Jones' stance after he plants his back foot:

The flaws of Jon Jones JonesTwoStep000400_medium

Yikes.

Here's another look later in the round:

The flaws of Jon Jones JonJonesLat_medium

Jones again leads with his back foot. I'm also not fond of the length in Jones' stride, either. It should be obvious that if footwork should first work toward maintaining a proper stance that it would benefit a fighter to use short, quick steps instead of long, broad ones.

And while there's a ton of caveats to the point, I'd like to note that Stephan Bonnar outlanded Jones in total strikes at UFC 94 (74 to 70).

As for his ground work, Joe Rogan made a big stink about Jones' arm placement while in Brandon Vera's guard:

The flaws of Jon Jones JonJonesArmEx_medium

Look at all the space Jones is giving to Vera's hips! It looks like Vera's focused on controlling Jones' posture with his left hand. I also want to assume that Jones is scary strong because he was able to get away with this a few times during the fight. The issue here, though, is that he's putting his arm in a very precarious position. Vera can grab the hand with his cross arm and pull across, knock the arm across with the same-side hand, or use a two-one-one grip to pull across. With the arm across the center line, Vera would be in great position for an armbar or to take the back (among other things).
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

The flaws of Jon Jones Empty Re: The flaws of Jon Jones

Post  KalDog Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:01 pm

His footwork hasn't let him down so far, he's just unorthodox I guess, as far as the space he gave Vera..... Shogun would escape or sweep the shit out of him
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:21 am

Bump now he's champ. Surely the basic footwork problem he has will be ideal for Machida?

============================================

Plus, never mind 'flaws' of Bones, how about the 'elbows'!

The flaws of Jon Jones JonesBackElbow

The flaws of Jon Jones Brienufc100

The flaws of Jon Jones Jonbonesjonesspinningelbowsandregusmaoufc87

The flaws of Jon Jones 15qruro

The flaws of Jon Jones 2nk47ps

And 'throws'!

The flaws of Jon Jones Jonbonesjoneslateraldropsandregusmaoufc87

The flaws of Jon Jones 155qkh4

The flaws of Jon Jones 28sv9z4

The flaws of Jon Jones S14u3o

The flaws of Jon Jones Mll6bn
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:17 pm

that's a sweet Bones Avatar Axe,I really like that.

(much better than your last one Razz )
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:27 pm

You can have it if you want, i'm gonna just have a picture instead of a gif cos this one never seems to load Sad

If you want it hurry and get the URL off it cos i'm changing it in 10 mins mate Smile

PS: I'm sure you'd prefer to have an Av that actually fits!
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:24 pm

Or not.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks for the offer mate,it was a cool avatar.
    I was tempted to use it but I've now got an avatar bet on the Hardy fight with Efils.

No point taking an Av that I'll probably only have for 2 days.

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:00 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:

Thanks for the offer mate,it was a cool avatar.
    I was tempted to use it but I've now got an avatar bet on the Hardy fight with Efils.

No point taking an Av that I'll probably only have for 2 days.

Oh well, Brock is back now baby Twisted Evil
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:22 pm

What do you all make of this now...
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:39 pm

People who fight their own fight get away with having Flaws if you know what I mean, If you are generally not getting hit and dictating the pace of the fight you can get away with Bad footwork and in the case of 90% of MMA fighters walk around with your hands by your sides too! (as opposed to up in a boxing stance)

Andersons a fighter who goes against the Rules so was Roy Jones Jr in boxing but when your winning and controlling the fight you can get away with not being textbook with your style.
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:03 am

The biggest flaw of Jon Jones is that he's beaten everyone who's been put in front of him (with ease) and cos he's humble and comes across arrogant to some people, people dislike him.

If he was outside of the UFC I'd put money on it the opinion of him on here would be the opposite.
    thebadgersbits
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  thebadgersbits Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:23 am

Does seem to be a anti jones brigade on here , having said that i am no fan of him either fed up of hearing the unstoppable juggernaught crap . At some point or other he is gonna get knocked out then we will see what his excuses are then .
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:16 pm

I don't think many are anti Jones in terms of Skill he is obviously very talented and knows how to use his gigantic reach and grappling skills exceptionally well.

I do reckon though Jones's attitude and general persona in the media does cloud over a lot of his achievements amongst most fans.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:04 pm

superman_punch wrote:

If he was outside of the UFC I'd put money on it the opinion of him on here would be the opposite.

Completely agree,If Jones was fighting in Dream etc and put on the same performances against lower level fighters,alot more people would be swinging from his nut sack.

Look at Mo and Mousassi,they haven't achieved or beat anything close to what Jones has,and they have also put in some stinking performances,something Jones is yet to do,but they are held in high regard.

and as for a bad attitude,Jones does come across bad sometimes, but he doesn't come close to Mo,he's full of himself and he's always bitching and moaning about something.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Really poor footwork. Sloppy striking which relies on his target standing directly in front of him. No head movement other than backwards. Telegraphed kicks which again rely on his target standing directly in front of him. Arrogance. Cowardice. Distinct lack of power with his hands.

That's all I can think of for now in terms of Jones' weaknesses.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:25 pm

thebadgersbits wrote:Does seem to be a anti jones brigade on here , having said that i am no fan of him either fed up of hearing the unstoppable juggernaught crap . At some point or other he is gonna get knocked out then we will see what his excuses are then .

The hilarious claims from Joe Rogan that he's "the most talented fighter we've ever seen" are just a step too far.

Have the retards at the UFC looked at their roster lately? There's a guy called Jose Aldo on it. He's FAR more talented than Jones.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Really poor footwork. Sloppy striking which relies on his target standing directly in front of him. No head movement other than backwards. Telegraphed kicks which again rely on his target standing directly in front of him. Arrogance. Cowardice. Distinct lack of power with his hands.

Thats a hell of a list! What I love is that you could apply those last 3 to Bisping too! Laughing

You really hate Bones mate. Bones has dished out so maby flashy and entertaining techniques including Judo throws its a supprise to hear anyone hate him so much.

I hate that he is called things like the most tallented fighter ever this early in his career. To be honest someone like Cruz diserves every big as much credit and is more well rounded and also has a flashy style too. It really annoys me that he gets so much attention but he is really good and 95% of the time a great figther to watch.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:24 pm

I can't understand how,by others making claims and bigging Jones up,why that would contribute to not liking Jones.

Arrogance I would agree with,but I think that's a fine line with confidence and the fact he is still a young lad.

Cowardice,I don't think so,what coward takes on a prospect at the time who was thought of just as highly as himself,followed by 3 of the best and most recent LHW champs back to back.
    I'm not buying that he's not afraid of Rampage,Shogun nor Machida but he's scared of Rashad.

And as for a distinct lack of power in his hands,I don't think Shogun would agree,in fact i bet you can't find a statement from any of his past victims that would back that up.
    His hands are powerful enough,plus he doesn't just rely on punching power,the guy has far more skills than that,to just try and rely on one technique to win a fight,the guy hits you with everything,punches,elbows,Knees,Kicks and since he has finished 12(13 including hammill) of his 15 opponents,I don't think lack of power is even a point that can be made,when talking about Jones.
    And that's just his striking game,the guys game consists of so much more than that,when you add in his wrestling and BJJ.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:39 am

payneNglory1 wrote:I can't understand how,by others making claims and bigging Jones up,why that would contribute to not liking Jones.

Arrogance I would agree with,but I think that's a fine line with confidence and the fact he is still a young lad.

Cowardice,I don't think so,what coward takes on a prospect at the time who was thought of just as highly as himself,followed by 3 of the best and most recent LHW champs back to back.
    I'm not buying that he's not afraid of Rampage,Shogun nor Machida but he's scared of Rashad.

And as for a distinct lack of power in his hands,I don't think Shogun would agree,in fact i bet you can't find a statement from any of his past victims that would back that up.
    His hands are powerful enough,plus he doesn't just rely on punching power,the guy has far more skills than that,to just try and rely on one technique to win a fight,the guy hits you with everything,punches,elbows,Knees,Kicks and since he has finished 12(13 including hammill) of his 15 opponents,I don't think lack of power is even a point that can be made,when talking about Jones.
    And that's just his striking game,the guys game consists of so much more than that,when you add in his wrestling and BJJ.

Ducked Rashad twice. Coward. What three of the best did he fight?? Injured Shogun might count for a half. Ramplod might count for a half. That makes 1.

He doesn't have any punching power, or any technique. Shogun was too tired to even hold his hands up and block punches. You get hit with a pillow enough times you'll eventually fall over.

His elbows and knees are impressive. His punches and kicks are flashy but carry nothing and the technique is poor.

His wrestling is decent, nothing more. Aided mostly by his long legs. His BJJ????? Who's he subbed worth talking about?? What competitions has he been in? What are his grappling creditionals?? A whole heap of nothing.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:43 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:Really poor footwork. Sloppy striking which relies on his target standing directly in front of him. No head movement other than backwards. Telegraphed kicks which again rely on his target standing directly in front of him. Arrogance. Cowardice. Distinct lack of power with his hands.

Thats a hell of a list! What I love is that you could apply those last 3 to Bisping too! Laughing

You really hate Bones mate. Bones has dished out so maby flashy and entertaining techniques including Judo throws its a supprise to hear anyone hate him so much.

I hate that he is called things like the most tallented fighter ever this early in his career. To be honest someone like Cruz diserves every big as much credit and is more well rounded and also has a flashy style too. It really annoys me that he gets so much attention but he is really good and 95% of the time a great figther to watch.

He's good to watch if you want style rather than substance.

Cruz is a much better fighter than Jon Jones! That's not even close. Aldo, GSP, Anderson, Shogun, Belfort, Machida - especially Machida, these are all more talented than Bones.

The claims that he might do anything at HW are laughable. What exactly is he going to do?? Any top HW will walk through him, slam him on his head and punch his face in.

Let's not talk about Jon Jones' attempts at using Judo.
    thebadgersbits
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  thebadgersbits Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:38 am

All jones is doing is bringing more use of elbows and knees into the game using thai boxing techniques alot more . Watch a few youtube fights and you see the same and rogan seems to think that because jones is doing it its suddenly WOW ,OMG etc etc .
    Alot of people got sucked into the lesnar hype and now the are building jones in the same way .
    he has a big advantage in reach but i dont believe his punch power is shit he's hurt his opposition with elbows and knees .Shogun was tagged from the off with a kneee and by his own admission he never quite recovered from
    He's going sparko soon and then thats his hype over !!
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:32 am

Cant wait to see what you come up with when he has beaten ur boy machida and rashad, he has destroyed every 1 give him the credit he deserve

Ps his lack of bjj credentials does not mean he isnt a threat look at gsp not known for his wrestling but out does most of his opponents.

Hope edgar wins if only to read your spin on it

Give the government a bell they could use or spin

Very entertaining but a little dilusional
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:18 pm

Edgar has had his ass handed to him twice by Maynard, who's PISSED about getting screwed last time, get ready for the third ass kicking in this instalment.

Bones has destroyed everyone, but he hasn't fought anyone other than Rampage who's finished. EVERY single fighter he's faced has been a carbon copy of each other. SLOW UNATHLETIC PLODDERS who stand right in front of him.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:42 am