THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
Cowboys From Hell
payneNglory1
rudeboyben84
7 posters

Jones vs Hendo for UFC 149?

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Jones vs Hendo for UFC 149? Empty Jones vs Hendo for UFC 149?

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:40 am

Hearing Rumors that UFC want Jones to fight Hendo in July at UFC 149. Glad to hear Jones is going to fight so soon.

Jones has taken fights on pretty short notice before, There was just over a month between Bader and Shogun and Less that 3 months between Rampage and Machida.

I dont think Jones is the type of guy to want to fight once or twice a year, Im hopefull we see it this summer.

Anyone giving Hendo a chance? I just watched an interview with Sonnen and Hendo looked small becide him, Hendos Wrestling isnt great any more IMO, I reckon Jones will be able to trip him and throw him about at will. I dont think ive wanted someone to win as much since Wand fought Bisping but honestly I dont know how he will win.

Jones will probabally be able to controll the distance and by the time he gets in striking range I see him getting taken down time and time again.

Hendo has to win this by KO, and he is like Manhoef or Hunt in that you can never count him out at any stage of the fight, If a big Bomb lands there arent maby Mortal men who will stay standing. But for me the Size will be a huge factor.

Jones is now up around 230 and Hendo pretty much walks around at 205 so were looking at

25lbs in weight
    5" in height
    and over 13" in reach

Over a foot of distance for Hendo to close. His footwork isnt bad for an old boy, he is quite good at skipping forwards and covering ground when uncorking a hayemaker but still more than a foot of reach worries me.

IMO Hendo is fighting for the GOAT spot in this one. Jones has done enough right here and now if he walked away from the sport to go down as a great in the weight class. If Hendo could beat Fedor, Jones, Wanderlei, Big Nog, Belfort etc.. you think he was UFC Tournament winner in 97, near 10 years later he is the only man to hold 2 world titles at the same time and come UFC 149, 5 years after his Pride Glory days ended if he could stop the next big thing of another generation of fighter I think it would put his Achievments over Fedor and Anderson because of the 3 weight classes.

Jones vs Hendo for UFC 149? Jonjonesbunny

Jones vs Hendo for UFC 149? Dan-Henderson-Michael-Bisping-115_large

How can you not hope for Hendo here! Laughing

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Jones vs Hendo for UFC 149? Empty Re: Jones vs Hendo for UFC 149?

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:59 am

I'm completely sold on Jon Jones,and have absolutely loved watching his run towards being one of,if not the best LHW I've ever seen.I really don't give hendo a chance in this fight apart from the one big overhand haymaker but saying that,no matter how much of a fan JJ has made of me,who doesn't want to see Hendo do it and become the most successful fighter ever in the game.

Hendo's legacy is all ready phenomenal,but if he could beat the young,on fire Jon Jones for the LHW belt at the age of 41/42,14 odd years after winning his first UFC title,Hendo's story would go down as one of the greatest sporting stories ever.

I know there wouldn't be an MMA fan alive who wouldn't go to the cinema,if Hollywood got a hold of the rights to his story.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:11 am

Jones has opened up as a nearly 6-1 favorite to beat Hendo.

Jon Jones = -565
    Hendo = +385

I still wouldn't put a tenner on Hendo winning.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:57 am

Shit those are crazy odds Mate!! He is about as much an underdog as Mir is to Junior isnt he? Shit Wand might not even be that big an underdog against Belfort! Laughing

The fact they are more or less 2 weight classes apart is the biggest thing for me. Hendo doesnt have a good gas tank anymore, Jones takes him down and a round on his back might gas Hendo trying to activley avoid elbows with someone so big and long on top of him.

Jones looks unstoppable right now, I still think Machida has the best chance to do it though. You gotta really respect Hendo for taking the fight because Honestly I dont think Anderson would. I hope Nog can work his way up to a title shot against Jones its a fight Id love to see before JJ leaves the devision (And being around 230 now I dont think that could be too far away)
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:45 am

Man I'd love Hendo to spark Jones out but I just don't see It until Jones moves up to where he should be fighting he isn't losing at LHW his size, reach and wrestling is too much to handle for the LHW's.

Hate to say It but Jones will Sub Hendo at some stage in the fight unless Hendo some how clips Jones I can't see how he wins. Sad 0
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Aldo confirmed to be fighting at UFC 149, meaning it is unlikely that Jones-Hendo will take place at that event.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:52 pm

I can honestly see Jones becoming the first man to finish Hendo via strikes. Think he will put him on his back and finish him with devastating elbows.
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:28 pm

Yeah it's hard to see past a Jones win via 2nd or 3rd round TKO via strikes or a finish similar to how Jones finished Rampage.

One thing is that even if Hendo managed to land a big bomb and win JJ would get a re-match and it's nigh on impossible to think it would happen twice.

Point is it proves JJ has to move up to HW within the next 2 years unless someone like Gustafson with a similar build can cause him problems.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Cowboys From Hell wrote:Man I'd love Hendo to spark Jones out but I just don't see It until Jones moves up to where he should be fighting he isn't losing at LHW his size, reach and wrestling is too much to handle for the LHW's.

Hate to say It but Jones will Sub Hendo at some stage in the fight unless Hendo some how clips Jones I can't see how he wins. Sad 0

Yeah I think a Sub is the most likely outcome too mate, I think Hendo would have done himself a favor and bust his balls to make 185 and fight Anderson.

He wont get the same treatment he got last stint in UFC where he has given a shot at both titles again. Was reading Liddell said he would come back to a title fight, Id love to see him get in great shape and come back to fight Hendo, Its a fight I always wanted to see.

Really if Hendo looses this fight Machida is the guy I see him facing next. I reckon he is at 205 for the rest of his career regargless of what hapens here.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:27 pm

Yeah I don't see Hendo getting stopped by strikes Ben, Title shot wise It's a bit of conundrum for Hendo though at 185 he really flatters to deceive he looked bad against Misaki & Shields and of course fades pretty badly the Shields & Franklin fights show this yet at 205 (& above) especially of late he has looked excellent against Babalu, Feijao, Fedor & Shogun.

If Hendo loses I'm really struggling to see who can beat Jones at 205.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:17 am

Jones weighed between 235 and 240 on fight night for his last fight. Hendo will weight about 208 when he walks into the cage. One is a HW hiding out at LHW, the other is a MW too old to be arsed with nonsense like weight cutting.

Regardless of the outcome, Jones is likely going to HW after this fight, at which time we'll see what he's really made of.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:16 am

I read,that Jones said he was at the heaviest and strongest he's ever been going into the Rashad fight,and that was 230lb.

Just because he's cleaning the division with ease,does not make him a HW hiding in the LHW division,against Machida,shogun etc,he was closer to the 220lb mark.

If cutting about 7% before the Evans fight to 11% now,means you are hiding from your division,then I'd say over 50% of fighter in the UFC are hiding from their divisions.

The "he should be fighting at HW" crap is just an excuse for the haters to have a pop,even at the first time he cut from 230lb,that still isn't any different to a loads of LHW's.

Admittedly he'll eventually have to move up to HW,but at the moment,he's as natural a LHW as most LHW's fighting today.

230lb to 205 lbs is an 11% cut

Why is it different for two of your UFC Favorites,Anfield ?

Sonnen 217lb to 185lb is a 15% cut
    Alves now 195lb to 170lb is a 13% cut - before 19% cut

are they both hiding from their divisions?

(It's easy enough to Google all of these interviews if you don't believe my figures)

He cuts a smaller percentage of weight than what Sonnen cuts,(he claimed at one of the Q&A's he did with Goldberg that he walks around at about 217 lb +),Anderson Silva walks around close to what Sonnen does,GSP walks around over 200lbs,your boy Alves,who you defend to the hilt that he is in the correct weight class,has stated in interviews that before Dolce,he walked around between 200 and 210lbs,but now only lets himself get between 195-200lbs,so his % of weight cut is still more than JJ.

Tibau,Griffin,Rampage,Sherk,Marqaurdt,Dan Hardy,Paul Daley,Johnson,Faber,Siver,Ken flo,Aldo,Kingsbury,Bonner,Tito,BJ,Sanchez at LW,Maynard,Kos,Okami,Leban,Franklin at MW,shit the list could go on forever about who cuts more or a very similar percentage of weight as Jon Jones.
    I wouldn't be surprised if over 40% - 50% of the best fighters in the UFC cut more or a similar percentage of weight as Jon Jones.

The only reason JJ is getting more shit than so many worse offenders than himself, is simply because,some fans can't support success,especially when they don't like his attitude,they hate seeing him clean house against so many fan favorites,and because he's doing it so easily,they can't except it's down to his talent,so it has to be because he's fighting out of his weight class Rolling Eyes .
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:48 pm

He was heavier than 230.

He's a HW hiding at LHW. Would anyone be impressed if GSP went to 155 and beat everyone up?

Sonnen cut that amount once, after he hadn't fought in a well over a year. He didn't claim to walk around at 217. He stepped on a scales prior to the Stann fight and that's what he weighed. Don't make up lies to protect Jones.

Alves is a body builder. He's a naturally small man who packs on muscle. He's got the frame of a small WW. He could make LW if he didn't want to lift weights constantly.

None of the others you mention cut down below their natural weight class. They pack muscle onto small frames and then cut water weight. None of them diet 365 days a year or are forced to work out 4-5 times a day just to keep their weight down. None of them are hiding. Jones is.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Jones said he was cutting from 230ish but im sure between fights when he isnt so lean he is heavier, he is without a doubt the biggest man in the devision overall.

Sonnen might have just been a bit pudgy to weight 217lbs, As Anfield said Alves is like a bodybuilder, packing too much mass on a small frame is different to a guy with a big frame trying to stay as lean as possible to have a size advantage,

Jones vs Hendo for UFC 149? Corey%20hill

I dont really bother me Jones is a Lhw, he is young enough to make the cut so why not do it. I cant see him being a Lhw by 2014 though.

Jones vs Hendo for UFC 149? GYI0064517135
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:44 pm

Watching this Hendo HL, Hendos TD's are the only type I can see working against Jones. He is so much taller both hands clasped round his waist, pulling it towards his own, under Jones own hands and walking forward triping his legs is a the Ideal way to take Jones down.

If Jones backpeddles when he is hit or is on the back foot I honestly think Hendos style of Takedowns will work, he is good at getting the clintch and using greco roman throws. We havnt seen much of Hendo's offensive wrestling because standing and winging the right hand has been so succesfull, but I think if he is planning on steaming forward throwing Bombs and keeping moving forward to try and lock up could work.

Anyone think Hendo has a shot at taking Jones down or is the standing KO the only way he could win. Hendo is strong enough to lift up and dump jones down but I could see him getting Guilitines trying this, I think if Jones stays 230lbs+ he might be too big for Hendo to push around, I think physical strength, wether Hendo can push Jones back when they lock up will be a big factor and I worry that he wont be able to if Jones has 30lbs on him.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:05 am

Hendo has said that you have to get in close to Jones to fight him. His hands are average and his power is non existant so Hendo can walk through his punches. It's the elbows that will cause him problems. If Hendo can get close and land, Jones is going to be in trouble. Hendo has fought HW's before, not sure any were as big as Jones but Hendo won't care. He'll go for broke until his gas tank runs out.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:24 am

I just hope Hendo can stick to that gameplan, Evans was going to have a similar gameplan and once he was in with Jones he looked like guys fighting Anderson, just ending up playing his game.

He has faced guys of similar weight but Honestly Jones is probabally bigger than any of them Bakouri Gogitidze was 236 but only 6"1, Yvel 222lbs the same back then, Nog and Fedor are smaller than Jones. Your right Jones is the biggest guy he has faced.

I think Hendo may be able to take Jones down, but Jones more than likely will be able to toss Hendo around in the clintch than vice versa.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 01, 2012 3:09 am

Evans had the plan to use his speed and move in and out, Hendo will just move forward.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:36 am