THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
p4pnumber_1
rudeboyben84
Anfields5thKing
The_Axe_Emperor
8 posters

Bones would rather Anderson as a mentor than opponent

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Bones would rather Anderson as a mentor than opponent Empty Bones would rather Anderson as a mentor than opponent

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:56 am

Since both Jon Jones and Anderson Silva have been looking very dominant as champions on their respective weight classes, naturally there will be people who would be interested in a super-fight between both MMA stars. When Jones was asked about his thoughts on a potential match up, he said he wasn't that interested. Sensei SporTV has it (via MMA Mania):

"My job is to be prepared to face the best in the world. I'd rather not deal with Anderson, but if I have to fight him, I will focus on my confidence and on my technique. I respect and look up to him (Silva) so much. For me, the ideal scenario would be having him as my mentor and learn with him after he retires. It would be great for me. That would be ideal, but the world wants to see us fighting."

'Bones' also went on to say that he's still interested in fighting at heavyweight after dispatching of the next few contenders at 205.

"I spoke with Dana White about making a heavyweight fight in 2012 but he said he didn't consider it a good idea right now. But after beating Dan Henderson, Rashad Evans and maybe Alexander Gustafsson in 2012, I don't see what to do in this division, not wanting to disrespect anybody."

Jones seems to be very confident that he'll continue to eventually clean out his division, and while some fans will probably criticize him for these statements, I have to say, if he does beat those 3 guys, a heavyweight fight would certainly be very appealing.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Bones would rather Anderson as a mentor than opponent Empty Re: Bones would rather Anderson as a mentor than opponent

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:04 am

So he doesn't want to fight Anderson? Interesting. Not surprising.

He does want to fight at HW but Dana doesn't think it's a good idea? Interesting.

If he beats Rashad, Hendo and Gustaffson this year, he might move up. Also interesting.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Bones would rather Anderson as a mentor than opponent Empty Re: Bones would rather Anderson as a mentor than opponent

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 am

I dont see the problem with letting him fight up a devision, Anderson was allowed to do it when he was champ.

I would like to see Jones given the same chance (infact any champ should be allowed to) it makes for more matchups we wouldnt see otherwise and means less rematches in their own devision.

Make an easy Hw fight for him like Anderson got against James "Skelator" Irvin. Maby Meathead or someone, he needs to fight someone 250 or over to see what he is getting himself in for.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:59 pm

Kongo. Give him Kongo. That's a decent test.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Jones would beat Silva in my opinion.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:08 pm

I actually respect his honesty in saying he doesn't want to fight Silva but I think he could beat him.

A good fight for him at HW is Nelson except he has a pointless fight with Big foot coming up. Big country wants to move down and Jones is thinking about moving up, they can meet at around 235-240. I don't think Kongo really offers much considering he has awful take down defense and just lost to Mark Hunt.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:06 pm

Anderson has said numerous times in past how great Jones is, and how he has no intrest in fighting him at 205lb.

So i guess there will never be Anderson-Bones fight. And yes i think Jones wins aswell.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:23 pm

HW vs MW. Would hardly be an even contest in fairness.

That said, Anderson could KO him pretty easily. Jones would need to take it to the ground.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:19 am

I wouldnt back Bones over Anderson at all. Anderson would knock his ass out on the feet. The Standup Anderson has developed over the years in fights cant be matched by jones. At this stage Anderson is a master of the sport, you see what he did to Forrest? Vitor Belfort? That sort of 1 strike fight ending percision Jones doesnt have yet (Or might never have)

Bones would try to stand. He respects Anderson a lot and I dont think he would want to trip him, get on his and elbow him to a pulp (Like he should) I reckon he tries and stands. Machida was doing a good job on the feet and Anderson is a more deadly striker than Machida in terms of you cant make a mistake around him and not pay for it.

Speaking of Machida, there was talk of him moving to 185 a while back and he said he was open to the Idea as far as I remember. I wonder after Anderson is gone will Machida be trying to go after that belt. Im not backing Anderson over Sonnen in the rematch but for some reason I can see Machida being much better equiped to beat Sonnen. Its a fight id love to see if he moves down anyway.

Shame Shogun probabally wont make the cut, to me he is more or less Rich Franklin sized.

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:33 am

I seriously doubt Jones would stand with Silva any longer than he has to. He respects Silva so he knows not to fuck with him standing. Do you think Jackson would let him stand with Silva? Silva is probably at this stage the greatest striker in the history of the sport and while Jones is a good striker he would be out of his depth. Jones is a very clever fighter, it's one of the strongest parts of his game. I think he knows what he has to do.

I would back Machida to beat Sonnen at 185. Standing Machida has a huge advantage and on the ground Machida has the BJJ to cope. He also has excellent take down defense and at 185 he will have more muscle. Would be a good fight though.

Not sure about Shogun at 185, I reckon if he got it right he would destroy the rest of the division but if he got it wrong it would be a disaster. The cut could kill him and his gas tank isn't great at 205.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:05 am

Yeah Shoguns manager said he is walking round over 220lbs so guess he isnt a tiny Lhw, bit legs but I dont think he is much biggerent size wise to Rich Franklin.

Bones would rather Anderson as a mentor than opponent Griffin-franklin-126

Bones would rather Anderson as a mentor than opponent Forrest-griffin-rich-franklin

Bones would rather Anderson as a mentor than opponent 134-rua-griffin-2

Suppose his cardio isnt his strong point but I cant help but feel if he was dishing out the damaege to guys his own size it would be ending fights.

I dont know, Jones doesnt seem the type to bullrush or dive a few feet for a double leg. He sets up TD's and uses them from the clintch, I think he would get caught trying to tie Anderson up. Id have no doubt that he could put Anderson on his back and make him eat elbows but lets not totally dismiss Andersons BJJ off his back if he did. Jones Long Limbs surely make for big targets for an armbar, we dont see it a lot but he caught Luter in a triangle and he is a real legit BJJ BB. I have seen too much of Anderson great timing and not enough of Jones is fights like the Machida one to favor Jones. Dont rule out a win, just see an Anderson KO as more likely than Jones GnP'ing him out.

I stick it im my 2013/14 predictions, Mw Title: Machida vs Sonnen what you think, see it happening? I doubt Machida tips the scales at much over 215.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:49 am

Why would Jones not want to fight Silva forget all lovey dovey stuff for a minute If Jones stops Silva (which I think he would and man handle him too that's why Dana does not the the fight to happen IMO) his stock would sky rocket and could arguably consider himself the best MMA fighter on the planet.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:12 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Yeah Shoguns manager said he is walking round over 220lbs so guess he isnt a tiny Lhw, bit legs but I dont think he is much biggerent size wise to Rich Franklin.

Bones would rather Anderson as a mentor than opponent Griffin-franklin-126

Bones would rather Anderson as a mentor than opponent Forrest-griffin-rich-franklin

Bones would rather Anderson as a mentor than opponent 134-rua-griffin-2

Suppose his cardio isnt his strong point but I cant help but feel if he was dishing out the damaege to guys his own size it would be ending fights.

I dont know, Jones doesnt seem the type to bullrush or dive a few feet for a double leg. He sets up TD's and uses them from the clintch, I think he would get caught trying to tie Anderson up. Id have no doubt that he could put Anderson on his back and make him eat elbows but lets not totally dismiss Andersons BJJ off his back if he did. Jones Long Limbs surely make for big targets for an armbar, we dont see it a lot but he caught Luter in a triangle and he is a real legit BJJ BB. I have seen too much of Anderson great timing and not enough of Jones is fights like the Machida one to favor Jones. Dont rule out a win, just see an Anderson KO as more likely than Jones GnP'ing him out.

I stick it im my 2013/14 predictions, Mw Title: Machida vs Sonnen what you think, see it happening? I doubt Machida tips the scales at much over 215.

Ye I know what your saying, Shogun isn't a big man. About the same size as Franklin but the difference is my boy Franklin is one of the fittest fighters in the history of the sport. It's the strongest aspect of his game. At the top of his game he was easily in the top 5 best in shape fighters, his cardio was outstanding.

However if Shogun got the cut right I don't think there's a fighter in the MW division outside Silva and possibly Sonnen who could touch him. I would back Shogun against both btw. However after a couple of fights I think Shogun would run out of competition. Shogun vs Silva is a fight I still really want to see, two of the greatest strikers and fighters ever.

Jones wouldn't bullrush Silva, he would work his way into a take down. He would strike very cautiosly and use his strikes to set up the take down ala GSP. Jones can easily put Silva on his back and while Silva is dangerous off his back I think Bones has a grappling advantage and a big size advantage as well. Never rule out Silva but I think I would edge towards Jones.

I do hope Machida makes the move to 185, if Silva retires and Shogun stays at 205 he'll be a champ. Not sure who he'll be facing though, possibly Sonnen or maybe someone like Palhares.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:49 pm

Anderson would always have a margin for landing a fight ending strike if he faced Jones but honestly I think Jones could double leg him at will and would just massacre him on the ground.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:29 pm

sunthunder wrote:Anderson would always have a margin for landing a fight ending strike if he faced Jones but honestly I think Jones could double leg him at will and would just massacre him on the ground.

Yeah agreed. He would do what Sonnen couldn't, finish anderson with vicious strikes whilst in a dominant position on the ground.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:23 pm

Bones has nowhere near the level of wrestling that Sonnen has, talk of him double legging Anderson is bizarre as he's never shown a good double leg against anyone with any takedown defence.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:25 pm

He wouldn't double leg him, he wouldn't need to. He's an expert and trips and throws, that's how he'd get him down.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Bones has nowhere near the level of wrestling that Sonnen has, talk of him double legging Anderson is bizarre as he's never shown a good double leg against anyone with any takedown defence.

Bones' size and strength combined with his superb trips and throws means he could take Anderson down at will.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:57 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:Bones has nowhere near the level of wrestling that Sonnen has, talk of him double legging Anderson is bizarre as he's never shown a good double leg against anyone with any takedown defence.

Bones' size and strength combined with his superb trips and throws means he could take Anderson down at will.

they're effective, because of his length advantage, they are not superb.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:02 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:He wouldn't double leg him, he wouldn't need to. He's an expert and trips and throws, that's how he'd get him down.

Jon Jones is not an expert at trips and throws. I'm a 4th dan black belt in Judo, I'm an expert at trips and throws because i've been practising them since before he was born. Jon Jones has a ridiculous length advantage over most of his opponents, that's the sole reason they are effective.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:41 am