THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

'TUF 15' tryouts attract 350 fighters, including Jamie Yager - Faber and Cruz to coach

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

'TUF 15' tryouts attract 350 fighters, including Jamie Yager - Faber and Cruz to coach Empty 'TUF 15' tryouts attract 350 fighters, including Jamie Yager - Faber and Cruz to coach

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:46 am

"The Ultimate Fighter 11" veteran Jamie Yager and K-1 kickboxing vet Kultar Gill were among approximately 150 welterweights who attended Monday's open tryout session for "The Ultimate Fighter 15."

Additionally, more than 200 lightweight fighters also attended the all-day session, which aims to secure a cast for the upcoming edition of the reality series, set to begin filming in early 2012.

The prospective cast members gathered at the Fertitta family-owned Texas Station Hotel & Gambling Hall in Las Vegas.

UFC president Dana White and UFC matchmakers Joe Silva and Sean Shelby were among the executives judging the hopefuls through grappling matches, striking workouts and interviews. FX Director of Production Maureen Timpa also attended the tryouts.

Gill, who has not competed in a professional MMA contest since 2008, was a perhaps-surprising entrant into the 170-pound field's very first group of applicants. But it was "The Black Mamba" and fellow hopeful Cortez Coleman whose grappling match brought the first cheers from the crowded room after a few safety-first matches kicked off the festivities.

A DREAM and K-1 Hero's veteran, Gill boasts MMA fights with Yves Edwards, Joachim Hansen, Tatsuya Kawajiri and Caol Uno, among others.

Meanwhile, Yager made it to the quarterfinals of "The Ultimate Fighter 11," downing Charlie Blanchard and Ben Stark while competing as a middleweight. He was ousted from the tournament by Josh Bryan and then released from the promotion after suffering a second-round TKO loss to Rich Attonito.

Yager has since dropped to 170 pounds and rattled off three-straight stoppage victories.

Other notable welterweights included MMA veterans Sam Alvey, Blas Avena, Rudy Bears, Zak Cummings, Cody McClintock, Leopoldo Serao and Dave Terrel, as well as a host of young prospects who each had to confirm a winning record with promotion officials before entering the actual tryouts.

Several fighters attended the session to advise their pupils, cheer on their teammates and simply watch the proceedings. Joe Lauzon, Vinny Magalhaes, Cody McKenzie, Brad Tavares and others were on hand for a stint, and MMA superstars Vitor Belfort and Wanderlei Silva also made cameo appearances during the day.

At publication time, the 200-plus lightweight fighters were just beginning their session, and FX officials declined to divulge the roster of participants.

"TUF," which debuted on Spike TV in 2005 and quickly became a driving force for the UFC's move into the mainstream, had launched the careers of more than 100 UFC fighters and has produced past champions such as Rashad Evans, Forrest Griffin and Matt Serra. The 14th season, which concluded this past weekend, was the first to feature bantamweight and featherweight fighters.

"The Ultimate Fighter 15" marks the first edition of the long-running program to air on FX. Unlike past editions of the series, "TUF 15" sees each week's elimination fights air live.

Current plans call for "TUF 15" to air over a 12-week span. Coaches for the show have yet to be determined, and it's still undetermined if the show's contestants will be kept in seclusion for the entirety of the show. Past editions of the series featured fighters living in a house together without television, phones and the like. The arrangement was necessary due to the tape-delayed nature of the broadcasts.

White, Silva and Shelby will travel to Sao Paulo, Brazil, later this month for a Dec. 14 tryout for the first-ever Brazilian version of "The Ultimate Fighter." According to sources close to the promotion, nearly 500 fighters have already registered for the session.

Wandi and Belfort TUF 15 coaches maybe?

checking out the talent for when they have to make their picks
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

'TUF 15' tryouts attract 350 fighters, including Jamie Yager - Faber and Cruz to coach Empty Re: 'TUF 15' tryouts attract 350 fighters, including Jamie Yager - Faber and Cruz to coach

Post  Ginginho Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:18 am

payneNglory1 wrote: Wandi and Belfort TUF 15 coaches maybe?

checking out the talent for when they have to make their picks

That's the first thing I thought when I read the article
    Jud_Danger
    Jud_Danger
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

'TUF 15' tryouts attract 350 fighters, including Jamie Yager - Faber and Cruz to coach Empty Re: 'TUF 15' tryouts attract 350 fighters, including Jamie Yager - Faber and Cruz to coach

Post  Jud_Danger Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:23 am

They would be better suited to be the 1st coaches for TUF Brazil wouldnt they?

Does it say when the season starts?

Im going LHW or LW next coaches......Bones & Rashad or Bendo & Edgar...maybe even Cruz & Faber.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:30 pm

Another Dave Terell I assume with one L is It and not a typo ?

I did hear Dave was thinking of returning I would have been surprised If TUF would have been his route.

Actually looking forward to the new TUF format should be interesting how It pans out.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:48 pm

What's the new format supposed to be like....?

I didn't watch the last few as i got pretty bored with all the over-edited shit that took up most of the episodes.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:41 am

Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz are the coaches

http://www.ufc.co.nz/news/tuf-15-coach-announcement-fx
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm looking forward to the new season,two exciting,top of the tree fighters who have a grudge against each other,as coaches,training hungry LW's and WW's,should equal a good show.

I hope the coaches fight at the finale and not the next PPV though,i think it makes for a better finale that way.

Last edited by payneNglory1 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Jud_Danger
    Jud_Danger
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Jud_Danger Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:21 pm

Jud_Danger wrote:They would be better suited to be the 1st coaches for TUF Brazil wouldnt they?

Does it say when the season starts?

Im going LHW or LW next coaches......Bones & Rashad or Bendo & Edgar...maybe even Cruz & Faber.

damn i should have had £££ on that shit!!!!!

Saying that i did nearly pick every match-up i could!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:47 am