THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
Anfields5thKing
payneNglory1
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
Moose Stuff For Money...
TomHughes1983
Ginginho
10 posters

UFC 110 - Jamie Te Huna

Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 110 - Jamie Te Huna Empty UFC 110 - Jamie Te Huna

Post  Ginginho Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:23 am

The one prelim fight I hope is shown on the UFC PPV next weekend is the one between Igor Pokrajac and kiwi Jamie Te Huna. Finally a fighter I can follow with patriotic pride as you British guys do with Bisping Laughing Hopefully he repays that pride with some good performances.

Jamie Te Huna is NZ born and has lived in Aussie for the last 11 years. He is currently the no. 1 ranked LHW in Australasia and has an 11-4 record, with his last 5 being wins. He suffered in his early career with frequent shoulder dislocations, he estimates more than 100 over his first 5 years.

One of the links below is to highlights of a fight a few years ago where his shoulder was dislocated against Takahiro Oba. The doctor couldn't pop it back in and threatened to end the fight so he got his corner man (who looks a little bit like Mark Hunt) to do it and he ground out a decision win. The fight after that he had to submit to the same injury against Hector Lombard, who is seen as a bit of an up and comer by some at the Armbar. That was his last loss (2007).

He took a year off to sort his shoulder out properly and has won his last 5 fights. He fought 4 times last year, winning all by stoppage, 3 in the first round. When he heard rumours of the UFC coming to Sydney, he quit his job as a bricklayer to go into full time training to put himself in a position to sign with them and was rewarded with a 4 fight deal. He had actually signed with Pride in 2007 but never fought due to his shoulder and then the UFC buy out.

He has trained with Wanderlei and Thiago Silva and Mike Whitehead and cornered Mark Hunt in his Pride fights with Fedor and Nishijima.

I hope he does well, especially if it raises the profile of MMA in NZ. NZ MMA still has that element of being an "underground" sport and it doesn't have a high profile here, something I really hope this Aussie event will improve.

He looks like a well rounded fighter. Of the 4 losses he has had, 3 have been by submission, although 1 of those was because of injury, so he may have a weakness on the ground.

I was pretty pissed I missed tickets for this event (they sold out before I knew they were on sale Crying or Very sad) because it may have been the only chance I would have had of seeing absolute legends (Big Nog, Wandi, Cro Cop) of MMA competing in the flesh. The one consolation would be for the UFC to show this fight on tv and for Jamie to kick some arse.

So while most of you guys, and that includes me, are hoping the "pride of Britain" gets KTFO, I'll be hoping the Maori boy does NZ proud. I am sure you will all get behind him too because if he wins, anyone picking him in the predictions league will be getting 10 bonus points Cool

Highlights of shoulder dislocation (and relocation) vs Takahiro Oba

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5gnj2_james-te-huna-shoulder-dislocation_sport

His last fight against Anthony Perosh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UljmgnEJcTM
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

UFC 110 - Jamie Te Huna Empty Re: UFC 110 - Jamie Te Huna

Post  TomHughes1983 Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Ginginho, I'm always one for following home grown talent. Unfortunately, I'm at work at the moment so as much as I'd love to watch the stuff on daily motion, I can't. I'm guessing that you were pleased by Antz Nansen's performance against Ishii in Sengoku.

As for the shoulder dislocation thing, didn't one of the British fighters suffer from that in the Ultimate Fighter (possibly Ross Pearson)?

Personally, the only thing I'm not too keen on is the UFC using homegrown fighters for their international events just to bring in local revenue. I see that Elvis Zinosic has been brought in to fight on the Australian card but I can assume that he'll be cut as soon as the show returns to the USA.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:12 pm

TomHughes1983 wrote:As for the shoulder dislocation thing, didn't one of the British fighters suffer from that in the Ultimate Fighter (possibly Ross Pearson)?

Ross Pearson has had problems with his shoulder, hopefully it won't hold him back.
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:58 pm

it wasn't Pearson on the ultimate fighter it was that one who give up on his stool i'm sure he was called Dave, he had a weird gag reflex aswell and kept spitting his mouth piece out aswell.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Dave Faulkner,Britains number one member of the hall of shame.

man that guy was an embarrasment to the sport and himself,full of excuses through out the whole show,can't use a mouth piece bollox,how did he get through his fights pre TUF then,gasses and quits on his stool,lets himself and his team down and then comes out with a gem,"but I really enjoyed it".

I wonder what he's doing now though,have his wrestling dreams took off.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:20 pm

It was Pearson with the shoulder problem.

After the bout we immediately go to Team U.K.'s training session for lightweight Ross Pearson in his fight against Jason Dent. Everything appears normal until Pearson pops his right shoulder out. Michael Bisping helps set the shoulder and Ross gets up apparently unfazed. In a confessional interview Pearson says the shoulder dislocation is a lingering injury and happens all the time. Hopefully the British healthcare system can fix that problem.
    http://www.watchkalibrun.com/2009/6/10/905540/tuf-10-episode-11-recap-dislocated
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:00 pm

Yeah it was Pearson with the shoulder problem. That Faulkner guy was a joke. Has he fought since?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:26 pm

Dave Faulkner, what a clown. Bisping's golden boy turned out to be a complete can.

"I enjoyed it" hahaha Laughing

Has TUF had some AWFUL fighters or what? Jason Thacker, Ross Pointon, Andy Wang, Wayne Weems, Joe Scarola, Marlon Simms, Titties and so so many more. You could easily make a list of 30 names that were just plain shit.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:37 pm

Andy Wang has to be the worst though!

"I'm a warrior!".

No, you are a crybaby and a tit!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:54 pm

Andy Wang always comes to bang... shame his standup is shite! Laughing

All this talk of people having a countryman to cheer on upsets me! Colin Fucking Robinson was ours! Taken out by the 1st leg kick of a fight! only to be cut by UFC and then Sexually assaulted by Dan Severn for 15mins!

Anfield you know much about good Irish MMA camps, In the North especially there really are few fighters Ive heard of doing well on a Pro Level...

Our Wrestling coach said to me when me and my Bro came a long to MMA classes that he wasnt supprised we boxed a bit because he said "A lot of YOU boys do" (Catholics! Laughing "What do you mean YOU people!" ) He said that he though a lot of Catholics are just traditionally into boxing and not a lot into Martial arts... I think Maby culturally Ireland is still very proud of its boxing history and a lot of tallented young fighters are Boxing insted of training MMA still.

Any of our Irish posters know of any of our boys having success at Pro Level?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:07 am

It's about time TUF did some school against school shows and let the top trainers choose who they think are good enough to represent them

I think it would be great to see camps like Gregg Jacksons,training their up and coming fighters to take on say ATT's coaches and fighters.
    The UFC could run a whole series of school vs school shows and I think we fans would learn and enjoy it so much more watching actual camps working out compared to these coaching teams that are thrown together,I mean Rampage and Tiki UFC 110 - Jamie Te Huna Icon_rolleyes
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:09 am

Yeah mate Id love to see that, Some fighters can coach for shit, I like that Team vs Team Idea.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:20 am

That's my idea for TUF. Have Jackson go against ATT, or Sityodong against AKA or Matt Hughes team and the Pit and so on and so forth.

That'd be so much better than the current shite.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:32 am

I want to see team USA against team Brazil.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:59 am

TomHughes1983 wrote:
    Personally, the only thing I'm not too keen on is the UFC using homegrown fighters for their international events just to bring in local revenue. I see that Elvis Zinosic has been brought in to fight on the Australian card but I can assume that he'll be cut as soon as the show returns to the USA.

I see your point where Sinosec is concerned. But they didn't need home grown talent as the event sold out in a few hours, and you can guarantee it wasn't because Elvis would be in the building!!

Given that Jamie had signed for Pride just before they were bought out by the UFC, and the subsequent injury break, surely he deserves a shot over, for example, some of the British fighters who get a crack at the big time just to penetrate the UK market or former NFL stars.

So no surprising then that I would favour an international TUF, similar to how The Contender: Muay Thai was.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:35 am

Colin Fucking Robinson was ours! Taken out by the 1st leg kick of a fight! only to be cut by UFC and then Sexually assaulted by Dan Severn for 15mins!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No offence Ben but didn't Robinson lose to Eddie Sanchez?

Im sure there are some good Irish fighters out there, Marcus Davis Laughing
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Yeah he did! And No offence taken Colin Robinson wouldnt be keen on me calling him an "Irish Fighter" anyway!

Colin Robinson is beyone shit... he lost to Hardonk with the 1st strike of the fight that connented also, a leg kick!!! Guy got pinned down and molested by Severn in Belfast for 15 straight mins after UFC cut him!! 1st class Bum!!

Its a sad thing that Marcus Davis is the closest think we have to an Irish Figher! Laughing Ill just support one of the Scouses they are close enough to Irish for me! Go on Paul Kelly!! cheers Laughing
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:03 pm

Haha fair enough mate, Il take Kelly over Robinson easily.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:28 pm

Literally in an openweight fight! Laughing

Ireland needs to catch up in MMA with the rest of the world, I think Kokoro is our top gym, a guy from there beat my Brother in his only MMA fight... They work with the Grecies but havnt produced anyone of note...

Stevie Lynch how fought on the Belfast card with Colin Robinson is 5-2 in MMA one loss to Dustin Hazlett, but really no one good I can think of, Someone Needs to Show Brian Magee or Paul McCloskey an Armbar! Laughing

What about "Irish" Jake O'Brien! Laughing he is as Irish as Marcus Davis!! Liddell and Forrest both have Irish grandparents I think....

Still hopefully next time UFC comes here we will have better local tallent than Tom Egan or Colin Robinson!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:32 pm

Ben, are you forgetting about Thomas the tank Egan??

What I want to know is - Is Mr Te Huna classy?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:40 pm

You need to ask Goldberg that question.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Mr. Te Huna has an interesting past Laughing

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:25 am

Here's a link to Jamie's fight - not a bad first up performance but still has a lot to work on which will hopefully come as he faces up to better competition. He can take a punch although he should give up on the Mark Hunt method of strike defence. Seemed very strong and took him down almost at will. Probably not skilled or big enough to make a mark in the division but hey, I'll keep on supporting him - at least he doesn't run his mouth off like Bisping (well not yet anyway). A very poor stoppage but I had him slightly ahead at that stage.

http://mixedmartialartvideos.com/james-te-huna-vs-igor-pokrajac-video-ufc-110/

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:43 am