THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
payneNglory1
pinsman
manschesthair_utd
the_king
2brutal
Cowboys From Hell
ChelseaQuinsfan
11 posters

UFC 132: Cruz vs Faber review

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 132: Cruz vs Faber review Empty UFC 132: Cruz vs Faber review

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:40 pm

I just finished watching it and I thought it was a brilliant event. Great fights and Kos all over the card. There were about 3 or 4 fights that would have had FOTN on nearly any other card.

Starting from the main event, I changed my prediction for the fight about 100 times before finally landing on Cruz. I really enjoyed the fight, it was extremely fast paced and fun to watch. I thought Cruz won, but it was a close fight. I don't know the official stats but I can make a guess and say Cruz landed more strikes. Faber actually landed some big shots and rocked him a couple of times but overall Cruz got the better of him standing. Wrestling wise they cancelled each other out and no one was on there back for long. The energy in that fight was unbelievable. I think if Faber gets one or two wins, then he will be entitled to a rubber match with Cruz. I reckon either Mighty Mouse or Bowles gets the next shot at Cruz and whoever doesn't will probably face Faber.

What can you say about Wandi vs Leben? It's sad seeing a legend take so many KOs. This one was the worse for me, because at least all his previous losses were against top fighters and champions. Wandi came out fired up, but was very sloppy. While looking for Lebens chin, he left his wide open and at this stage of his career it was not wise for Wandi to get in a brawl with an iron-jawed, heavy handed Leben. Leben caught Wandi on the chin and then 3 or 4 uppercuts later, the rest was history. Not good to see. I wonder if Wandi is going to give it up or have another go, if he wants to continue I say give him some one like Ed Herman or Simpson. Leben coming of the biggest win of his career will want someone big, maybe Munoz or even Sonnen.

Siver vs Wiman was a fun fight, but man was Siver lucky. It was a close fight, but many peole had Wiman winning the match 29-28. The third was very close. However the fight exposed a huge flaw in Siver's game. He does not know how to handle wrestlers. Wiman and before him him Pearson, who beat him, caused him a lot of problems. Wiman isn't even that great a wrestler but when he got him down he punished him badly. In a division filled with top wrestlers like Maynard, Edgar, Miller, Bendo and Guida he's going to have a lot of problems if he wants to be a top fighter. Give him Pettis next I say.

I was mind fucked by the Tito fight? Don't know what happened to Bader but that was embarrassing. Good on Tito though for keeping his career going.

Condit looked brilliant, he's such an exciting fighter. When Kim got him down I thought this was going to be a 3 round LnP fest, Condit's sweep was brilliant. The flying knee and stoppage were also fanstastic. He could very well be ready for the next shot after Diaz.

I didn't catch the Guillard fight, although I hear it was an awesome KO. The Dos Anjos KO was brilliant was sick, I was kicking myself for not picking him in the Prediction league. He's a very good fighter but I never expected him to have that kind of power.

Anthony vs Winner was a great standup fight. Anthony's striking looked brilliant. Winner is a tough guy though, how he didn't go down after the first round is just amazing.

Finally a solid performance by Bowles against a tough opponent with a broken hand. I hope he gets the next shot, I think he can beat Cruz.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

UFC 132: Cruz vs Faber review Empty Re: UFC 132: Cruz vs Faber review

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:01 pm

The Tito fight completely shocked me I couldn't believe it Tito looked pretty sharp he certainly isn't going to fighting again but there some interesting fights available to him.

The Wand KO was sad to see but I just had this strong feeling it would end this way for him Wand.
    He hasn't just been KO'd by Hendo, Cro Cop and Rampage he had been brutally KO'd by them I felt the mileage on his clock against some with power like Leben would end badly for him but that early.

The Condit KO was a surprise to me and great to see surely Fitch should next for him.

The Spike Prelim Ko's were great the Dos Anjos was completely surprising.

I was not surprised Siver got the nod I felt he just shaded 1 & 3 but got dominated in Round 2, Fights like this would benefit the Idea being proposed for 1/2 points would have benefited this Fight.

The main Event was a fantastic advertisement for MMA to non fans fast pace high action It was such a joy too watch I felt Cruz done enough to win the fight by a few Rounds.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Double post.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:47 pm

Cruz was busier and more awkward style, nice kicks hig then low and a few snappy jabs
    Not sure about 50 45 though faber hurt him a few times

Wandi will not quit although Dana wants him to apparently
    Leben showed good power and I agree maybe sonnen next if he can get his license back

Tito looked physically a lot better nice punch that set up the choke I was telling my mates tit has a slim chance and by sub, I sud of trumped bowles,

Siver edged it just on the way mma is scored now if it was amended to half points 1 and a half point or total fight he would of lost though,

Condit is fast becoming one of my favourite fighters he always brings entertainment maybe bj or fitch next if either of them are injured,

Melvin is looking very good him and condit are the only 2 Jackson fighters who are still extremely fun to watch, Melvin petis maybe

Dos anjos got a big win gsot is well down the pecking order maybe e welcome back sherk
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:47 pm

yeah very sad to see the ko of wrandi, great win for tito. good fights all over the card.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:44 pm

Sad

Very sad to see one of the greatest ever knocked out by that dude who pissed on the Jason Thacker's bed on TUF.
    Wand said before the fight that he wants to fight another 5 years....I wonder if he still feels the same way.
    He never had a great chin, but always recovered well and was very hard to finish. Leben is a bum who pumped himself full of steroids and got jabbed to bits by Michael Bisping.
    Not Dana's place to tell Wand to quit, to be quite honest he isnt fit to tie Wand's shoes. He beat Bisping in his fight before that...the Leben defeat is his only bad one in the UFC.
    wins over Jardine and Bisping, losses to Leben and Rampage, 50-50 fights with Chuck and Franklin.

Sad to see Kim knocked out like that, especially by a guy like condit who is a grumpy bastard...dont rate Condit to be honest, he is quite spectacular fighter though, but being spectacular will only get you so far, he hasnt got the striking style to defeat a great striker.
    -Alves
    -Daley
    -Diaz would beat him easily IMO
    Would like to see him beaten up and submitted by Nick Diaz at some point. Maybe Condit/Alves next though?

I like Urijah Faber alot more after watching this fight. He has amazing takedown defence and his scrambling is awesome to watch, (although in fairness Cruz also does) did yo usee the bit where he did a backwards roll into a guillotine attempt?? -- wow.
    I dont like Cruz' style...you know the type that shoots for a takedown in the last 5 seconds of every round?? - he is a point fighter plain and simple and i don't like it. Just like Frankie Edgar, too bad they're both champs.

Siver was rightly given the decision, don't blame the judges...if you feel the rassler should have won, blame round-by-round scoring.

Best part was Tito beating Bader...awesome!!! cheers
    I am not really a Tito fan but Bader has always been Overated, Nogueria beat him IMO.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:58 pm

Agree with all that chesty except condit no alves either coming of a loss condit will be number 1 match against fitch or Penn
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:44 pm

Great event, esp after my topic the other day "RIP exciting MMA" (feel a right dick now)

Wandi has got to give it up in my opinion sorry to see him get nailed like that last night. Faber fight was exciting as always. Condit has some good wins now and two awesome KO's interested to see where he goes now.

Good card, ill eat my post
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Don't feel to bad pinsman my mate has been saying the same last few months, was a cracker Tito rolled back the years anyone notice how long he held on to the choke a bit naughty that or maybe he was in shock he actually one, condit is a beast, leben showed some great ko power, Melvin is gunn a take some stopping
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:09 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:Sad

Very sad to see one of the greatest ever knocked out by that dude who pissed on the Jason Thacker's bed on TUF.
    Wand said before the fight that he wants to fight another 5 years....I wonder if he still feels the same way.
    He never had a great chin, but always recovered well and was very hard to finish. Leben is a bum who pumped himself full of steroids and got jabbed to bits by Michael Bisping.
    Not Dana's place to tell Wand to quit, to be quite honest he isnt fit to tie Wand's shoes. He beat Bisping in his fight before that...the Leben defeat is his only bad one in the UFC.
    wins over Jardine and Bisping, losses to Leben and Rampage, 50-50 fights with Chuck and Franklin.

Sad to see Kim knocked out like that, especially by a guy like condit who is a grumpy bastard...dont rate Condit to be honest, he is quite spectacular fighter though, but being spectacular will only get you so far, he hasnt got the striking style to defeat a great striker.
    -Alves
    -Daley
    -Diaz would beat him easily IMO
    Would like to see him beaten up and submitted by Nick Diaz at some point. Maybe Condit/Alves next though?

I like Urijah Faber alot more after watching this fight. He has amazing takedown defence and his scrambling is awesome to watch, (although in fairness Cruz also does) did yo usee the bit where he did a backwards roll into a guillotine attempt?? -- wow.
    I dont like Cruz' style...you know the type that shoots for a takedown in the last 5 seconds of every round?? - he is a point fighter plain and simple and i don't like it. Just like Frankie Edgar, too bad they're both champs.

Siver was rightly given the decision, don't blame the judges...if you feel the rassler should have won, blame round-by-round scoring.

Best part was Tito beating Bader...awesome!!! cheers
    I am not really a Tito fan but Bader has always been Overated, Nogueria beat him IMO.

I agree about what you've said about Leben but I disagree that it's not Dana's place to say when a fighter should call it a day. MMA as a whole gets a lot of abuse for being too violent and so far the UFC can say no one has died or has been seriously damaged for life in the UFC. To a certain extent, it's Dana's responsibility to stop a fighter taking too much damage and ending up like Muhammad Ali. Not only for the good of the companies image, but just morally as well.

Surprised you don't like Condit, he seems like the kind of fighter you like. I thought you'd hate Kim, apart from being Asian ofc.

Cruz is the perfect example of a points fighter, I agree.

I don't know about the Siver-Wiman fight, Wiman did beat Siver up a lot worse than Siver beat up Wiman.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Two good events back to back,lets hope it continues.

I think we got a little spoilt with the KO's last night,everyone of them were great.

I didn't think we would see a better one than the Dos Anjos one,Guillard came close in the next fight with another great display of vicious punching and then Condit treated us to a sweet flying knee,straight after that,what more can you ask for than 3 spectacular KO's back to back,(it started reminding me of the Strikeforce,Hendo - babalu card,when we got Lawler,Daley and Hendo KO's back to back).

Then props to Tito for a good punch and nicely executed guilotine,not a Tito fan and was hoping he lost but afterwards i have to admitt,i was really happy for the guy.
    saved his job,beat a ranked opponent,put himself some what back in thje picture and took home a nice bonus check aswell,absolutely great night for him.

Meanie joked about the rankings and what that now means to Tito's ranking,he did beat the #8 guy,another headache for ben me thinks Laughing

I gave the decision to Wiman personally,but it was in no way a robbery,it was a good close fight.

Horrible sight seeing wandi like that,haven't a clue where he goes from here though,that was a huge set back for him.
    Maybe the loser of the Vitor - akiyama fight,winner of sakara - Rivera or maybe a TUF guy like McGee,Ring maybe.

Thought the main event was a really good fight,Cruz deservedly got the decision IMO,but I don't know what that one judge was smoking to give it as a 50-45 scorecard.

Also have to give Njo a mention for that lovely display of brutal Muay thai in the first rd against winner,that made Anderson,s franklin destruction look a bit tame.
    Haven't a clue how Winner stayed conscious after that,great chin and fantastic display of courage and will from Winner.
    I think he he actually made Njo lose confidence in his power,he must of been more shocked than any of us to still see winner standing and not only standing but putting the pressure on and swinging for his head at the end of the third rd.

One side of me thinks Winner should probably get his walking papers,I mean at the end of the day,that is his third straight loss and it was hardly a close fight,he got battered,but then when you see a guy show that much heart and courage,you don't want to see him lose his job after that.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Dana on Wandi:

Dana White spoke last night about Wanderlei Silva's loss to Chris Leben at UFC 132. Check out the highlights:

On where Silva goes from here: "People love him so much because of the way he fights and his style and the type of person he is. But yeah, (it's) probably the end of the road for Wanderlei."

On the fight: "People knew that [Silva] and Leben were going to come out and they were going to throw until somebody fell down, and it was Wanderlei tonight."

On Silva retiring: "I think it's one of those ones where I'd like to sit down and talk to him and kind of Chuck Liddell him into it. I think the guy has nothing left to prove. He's a warrior. People love him all over the world, and I just don't want to see that happen to him anymore."

Chris Leben on Silva: "Wanderlei Silva is my favorite fighter; he always has been. To tell you the truth, I never visualized the fight going the way it went. I only visualized a three-round war. I've never been as scared to go into the ring as to fight Wanderlei Silva. The man is a legend. What he's done for the sport is absolutely amazing.
    "
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:21 pm

dislike condit because of that horrible scowl he always has on his face Laughing
    UFC 132: Cruz vs Faber review Carlos_condit
    UFC 132: Cruz vs Faber review Wecaugif__mg_4687_l_

i like Kim because his grappling skills are always impressive, such as the way he worked over Diaz and Sadollah...and his style is Judo of course.
    - i am not the "just bleed guy" (thats pinsman Laughing)

i agree Wiman beat up Siver worse - however i feel Siver correctly got the victory because hevedged 2 rounds; and thats how the fights are scored. (i might have given it a draw though - rd 2 being 10-8 or rd 3 10-10)
    The system is totally flawed in an MMA context though.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:39 pm

Payne: I think Winner should drop to 145, it could save him his job and I think he could be more successful in the division. There are some good fights for him there.

Chesty: That is a pretty horrible face he puts on Very Happy

Kims style has been boring in the past as well though, when he first started his career he was very exciting but in his UFC career I've found him quite boring. More Okami than Yoshida.

I thought it could have been a draw as well honestly, 2nd could easily have been a 10-8.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:18 pm

Yeah I never thought about 145 for Winner,probably would be a good move for him.

It would give him a chance to earn some more descent paydays,but he'd still have to work hard on filling some of the holes in his game,if he wants to compete with half of the 145lbers that are around at the mo.
    He's going nowhere if he stays in the UFC LW division,that's for sure.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:21 pm

manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:44 am

just seen this posted on sherdog

10 Team Parlay #217436534 (Placed by Web)
    Mixed Martial Arts (Game) Moneyline
    UFC 132 - MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada
    Both must fight for action.
    (8068) Anthony Njokuani -150 Sat@6:00p

Final Scores
    Anthony Njokuani 1
    Andre Winner 0

(8064) Aaron "A-Train" Simpson -300 Sat@6:30p

Final Scores
    Aaron "A-Train" Simpson 1
    Brad Tavares 0

(8060) Brian Bowles -500 Sat@7:00p

Final Scores
    Brian Bowles 1
    Takeya Mizugaki 0

(8052) Rafael dos Anjos +185 Sat@8:00p

Final Scores
    George Sotiropoulos 0
    Rafael dos Anjos 1

(9036) Dennis Siver -140 Sat@9:00p

Final Scores
    Dennis Siver 1
    Matt "Handsome" Wiman 0

(9034) Carlos "Natural Born Killer" Condit -115 Sat@10:10p

Final Scores
    Carlos "Natural Born Killer" Condit 1
    Dong Hyun "Stun Gun" Kim 0

(9032) Melvin "The Young Assassin" Guillard -300 Sat@10:30p

Final Scores
    Melvin "The Young Assassin" Guillard 1
    Shane Roller 0

(9030) Ryan "Darth" Bader -575 Sat@11:00p

Final Scores
    Ryan "Darth" Bader 0
    Tito "Huntington Beach Bad Boy" Ortiz 1

(9029) Chris "The Crippler" Leben +150 Sat@11:05p

Final Scores
    Wanderlei "The Axe Murderer" Silva 0
    Chris "The Crippler" Leben 1

Bantamweight Championship
    (9026) Dominick "The Dominator" Cruz -155 Sat@11:30p

Final Scores
    Dominick "The Dominator" Cruz 1
    Urijah "The California Kid" Faber 0

Outcome:
    Loss

Risk CA$ 11.14 to win CA$ 1735.67

OOPS!!! cheers
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:19 am

Wandi needs to quit. Leben is a cheating bum and to get beat by him is embarrassing. Hope they feed Leben to Vitor after he beats Akiyama. He's stupid enough to stand and trade with him.

Bader is all hype by the looks of things, but at least this means Tito will get a relevant fight so he can lose again.

Not a chance in hell the main event was 50-45. Cruz won, but barely. I'd back Bowles to beat him personally. 48-47.

Gutted for the stun gun. Guess that leaves Okami as my only hope for a Judo UFC Champ. I'm a Condit fan though, so glad for him. 1 more win and he'll be Diaz's first defense.

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:11 am

Hope tito doesn't test positive he looked in greAt shape and all his team were massive

Nate diaz nearly had Kim in the 3rd rd of there fight

Condit is the man love him
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:50 am

I gave Faber round 1 and 4 because of the knock downs, i felt all rounds were reasonably close other than round 5. But Cruz is just so busy, moves really well, throws many strikes. You have to finish him if u want to beat him. Good fight though.

Bader got what he deserved tbh, he loses to his first fight pretty dominantly, and then starts calling out Tito, to try and get an easy win. So glad to see Tito teach him a lesson and put him in his place. There are no easy fights in MMA, and you cant afford to underestimate fighters. All it takes is 1 punch.

I think Tito will fight Forrest (if Shogun wins) or Nog/Franklin winner.

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:56 am

Tito v Franklin I rekon rich will beat lil nog
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:18 pm

I would love to see Tito in a rematch, but not against Chuck or Forrest... etc

I wanna see Tito-Wandi 2 at LHW bounce

Now theres a fight that everyone would be up for!!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Wand needs to retire, he has gone the way of Chuck, both men spent careers happy to go blow for blow because there want a man alive who could exchange with them and live! Laughing

After 15 years of having opponents rattle their brains both mens chin is shot to shit even if they can still hang in there skill wise.

Its the same case, Chuck could still hang with top guys, and when Wand isnt getting put to sleep in the opening exchange so can he. He could hand pick him next opponents to not be power punchers but I get the feeling if he hasnt a chance of getting a title Wand wont stick around and be a journeyman.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:25 pm

This is actually bearable to watch.

pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Was watching some Judo the other day Anfield, purely because of you ha ha! A greek fella kicked some japanesse fellas ass! was a beautiful throw!!! Think it was the world champs or something was a sky sports 4.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:03 am