THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

Top-ranked featherweight Hatsu Hioki vacates Shooto belt, will attend UFC 131

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Top-ranked featherweight Hatsu Hioki vacates Shooto belt, will attend UFC 131 Empty Top-ranked featherweight Hatsu Hioki vacates Shooto belt, will attend UFC 131

Post  Sheldan Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:48 am

If all goes well, the UFC could have all the top-ranked featherweight talent locked up by next month.

Japanese featherweight Hatsu Hioki turned down an offer to fight featherweight champion Hiroyuki Takeya at DREAM.17 and on Tuesday announced that he's vacating his Shooto lightweight title.

Shu Hirata, an associate of Hioki who represents several Japanese fighters, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the fighter is headed to UFC 131 as a guest, and all signs point to contract negotiations.

"I think he's going to have a sit-down with (UFC matchmaker) Sean Shelby and try to work out a deal," Hirata said.

Hioki wrote about his decision to relinquish the belt in a statement issued to the media.

"There is ... pride in wearing the Shooto world title, but I think that in the near future I would like to challenge a new stage of pride," he stated.

The manager said Shooto's official rules require a champion to defend his title every six months. However, that stipulation is not in the promotion's contracts, and the fighter's announcement is simply a courteous gesture to his former employer.

Hioki is also the Sengoku featherweight champion and has a contract with its promoter, World Victory Road. His deal has one fight remaining on it, yet it's unknown whether the promotion will ever return given serious financial problems its recently suffered. Several of its champions have asked for and been granted release from their contracts, including Jorge Santiago, who held the promotion's middleweight belt before he vacated it for a UFC contract.

"The number of fights they promised is already in breach," Hirata said. "But in Japanese culture, you don't really go an talk about the breach of contract unless you really, really have to.

"I think Hioki had to choose a political clearance by choosing the right time to vacate the (Shooto) belt and choosing the right time to tell Sengoku that he's going to the U.S. to negotiate."

Hioki (24-4-2) won the Shooto belt one year ago by defeating "Lion" Takeshi Inoue by split decision. This past December, he added the Sengoku belt to his mantle with a unanimous-decision win over the highly touted Marlon Sandro. He long has been considered one of the best fighters at 145 pounds.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Top-ranked featherweight Hatsu Hioki vacates Shooto belt, will attend UFC 131 Empty Re: Top-ranked featherweight Hatsu Hioki vacates Shooto belt, will attend UFC 131

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:00 am

good news for the ufc.
    Bad for DREAM, and Shooto, there would be plenty of good fights for him in DREAM too.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Top-ranked featherweight Hatsu Hioki vacates Shooto belt, will attend UFC 131 Empty Re: Top-ranked featherweight Hatsu Hioki vacates Shooto belt, will attend UFC 131

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:33 am

Great news for Hioki and probably another pointer towards sengoku being officially done.

It will Interesting to see who he will fight first.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:56 pm

there are shit loads of good fights for him in the UFC,hopefully a good signing.

If he does sign,who do you think he should fight in his first fight?

I think they could get him involved the title picture quite quickly,if he obviuosly doe's well on his debut,I would say Mendes and the winner of Kenny and Nunes would be ahead of him though.

If he can can a couple of wins back to back over a couple of the guys I've listed below,i would say that puts him right behind them for a title shot.

You have the two rematches available,Hominick and Omigawa,maybe the winners of Vasquez v Joe Daddy,Nam Phan v MTB,swanson v Koch,Manny v Griffin and then there's the Korean Zombie and Alcantara,this is the beauty of a fresh division,there is so many good fights still to be made to actually sort out properly the pecking order in the division.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:15 am