THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
Shanemc
Moose Stuff For Money...
6 posters

Tyson Griffin to featherweight

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Tyson Griffin to featherweight Empty Tyson Griffin to featherweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:32 pm

Although currently sidelined by a knee injury, former UFC lightweight contender Tyson Griffin has some big plans for his return to the cage: a drop in weight class.

The move to featherweight likely will come later this year.

Griffin (14-5 MMA, 7-5 UFC) recently announced the plans via his official website, www.tysongriffin.com.

The Xtreme Couture fighter splashed onto the UFC scene in 2006 and won seven of his first nine fights, and the lone losses came to current champ Frankie Edgar and former titleholder Sean Sherk. He also picked up a staggering five "Fight of the Night" bonuses and a "Submission of the Night" award in the process.

But a November split-decision defeat to Nik Lentz resulted in his third consecutive loss, and he's been on the shelf ever since.

"It's going to be a little bit longer before I can commit to a fight," Griffin said in his video update. "I had been having some problems with my knee. I decided to get an MRI and found some tears in my meniscus. I decided to get those cleaned out.

"It's going to be a few weeks weeks before I can put my knee to the test to make sure things are good to go and commit to a fight."

But when he does return, it'll be in a new weight class, which the UFC adopted following its recent merger with the WEC. Featherweight champion Jose Aldo currently rules the division and has an upcoming UFC 130 title fight with Mark Hominick.

The field is thin after Hominick, and if Griffin can find his previous form, the seemingly undersized lightweight could be a factor.

"I've got some big plans for 2011, and unfortunately, they're put on hold for now," Griffin said. "But those plans are to move to 145 and make a run for that belt. So you can see me in that new weight class hopefully looking stronger and better than ever."
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/22355/former-ufc-lightweight-tyson-griffin-headed-to-featherweight-division.mma
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Tyson Griffin to featherweight Empty Re: Tyson Griffin to featherweight

Post  Shanemc Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:51 pm

Tyson will do great at that weight i think he will be a contender as he was small for lightweight this will be his best weightclass cant wait to see him at that weight class
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:42 pm

Very good move for him, I've been calling for this since the UFC merged with the WEC. I think he can be a real contender at 145, and has a better chance than most at beating Aldo.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:49 pm

Kenflo is moving to 145lb aswell apperently. That division is going to fill up with UFC LW guys cutting more weight.

Im hoping Oliviera moves down aswell.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Florian only said he's considered the move, he has also said before that making 155lbs can be difficult.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:31 pm

good move for him iv said for years now he is too small at 155.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:54 pm

I think he'll do well, could win his way to a shot but I don't think he dominates necessarily. He's not a great offensive fighter, and his wrestling/top control isn't so imposing that he'll easily shut people down. I don't think he was losing fights at 155 exclusively because of being a bit undersized.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:16 am

Tyson is a guy i picked to be BJ succesor at 155lb. He is only 26 and has some pretty big wins on his record already, (im too lazy to type them up Laughing)

He he's on a 3 fight lossing streak, he got caught by Gomi, no shame there, Gomi is probably P4P harddest puncher in the sport, lost a SD to very talented Dunham, and i didnt watch the Lentz fight as it wasnt televised but from everyone ive heard from it was daylight robbery.

Im so glad Dana didnt cut him, i think he can work his way up that division, provided the weight cut isnt too demanding on him.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:14 am