THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
hendos_right_hook
pinsman
ChelseaQuinsfan
manschesthair_utd
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
10 posters

Lil Nog interested in Forrest Griffin fight !

Poll

Who would win?

[ 8 ]
    Lil Nog interested in Forrest Griffin fight ! I_vote_lcap100%Lil Nog interested in Forrest Griffin fight ! I_vote_rcap [100%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Lil Nog interested in Forrest Griffin fight ! I_vote_lcap0%Lil Nog interested in Forrest Griffin fight ! I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Lil Nog interested in Forrest Griffin fight ! I_vote_lcap0%Lil Nog interested in Forrest Griffin fight ! I_vote_rcap [0%] 

Total Votes: 8
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Lil Nog interested in Forrest Griffin fight ! Empty Lil Nog interested in Forrest Griffin fight !

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:55 pm

It would be a good fight. Forrest is an aggressive guy who fights on his feet, and I like that. He also has excellent Jiu-Jitsu and absurd wind. It would be a really good fight." -Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

After quickly dispatching highly regarded UFC light-heavyweight prospect Luiz Cain, Antonio Rogerio "Minotouro" Nogueira looks forward to a possible showdown with former UFC light-heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin.

Both men were victorious at UFC 107 last Saturday -- Nogueira with a first-round knockout over Cain and Forrest with a three-round split decision over fellow former champion Tito Ortiz.

Nogueira (18-3) announced his UFC arrival in style with the win over Cane, a consensus top 10 ranked light-heavyweight, and showed the division that he will be a serious title contender. A win over Cain certainly warrants a bigger named opponent in his second outing with the promotion, with Griffin more than filling that bill.

Nogueira, a long-time Pride veteran, was once considered the best light-heavyweight in the world. He holds big wins over Kazuhiro Nakamura (x2), Kazushi Sakuraba, Alistair Overeem (x2), Dan Henderson, and Vladimir Matyushenko.

Griffin (17-6) reinforced his position as a UFC light-heavyweight contender with a big win over personal rival Tito Ortiz. The spirited performance went a long way toward erasing the memory of his sub-par outing against Anderson Silva at UFC 101 in August. Griffin looked immensely outclassed and was knocked down three times in the first round against Silva, who seemed to be two steps ahead of Griffin at every turn. After Griffin failed to get up following the third knockdown, and Silva was declared the winner, he famously ran out of the gym and into the locker room, refusing to discuss the contest

I woulder rather see Lil Nog fight winner of Evans-Silva, but this would also be good fight, i think Lil Nog takes it easily tbh, he has better stand up, better ground game and should beat Forrest.

Do you agree?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Lil Nog interested in Forrest Griffin fight ! Empty Re: Lil Nog interested in Forrest Griffin fight !

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Yep 100% agree, he has better standup and groundgame but looked to have more speed and power as well. Event though he has been KO'd as well I think he has a better chin also.

Griffin on the other hand has size over nearly anyone at Lhw, he would probabally have some weight and reach. He also has much better kicks and has great cardio...

Could be a great fight but on current form I think Nog has just too much for Griffin. I think beating Griffin might earn him a shot, Is beating T.Silva better than beatting Forrest? Im sure if Tito beat Forrest they would love him to have another shot. Shot or not Forrest is the biggest figth outside of Shogun, Rampage, Machida and Evans. All of who arent free to fight.

Its a great figth that makes a lot of sence and by the time Shogun and Machida fight again there could be time for the winner of T.Silva vs Evans to fight the winner of Nog vs Griffin...

Although Dana mentioned that if Rampage came back he would probabally get the winner of T.Silva vs Evans, that would throw a spanner in the works but im sure he can find more shit movie parts to keep him busy!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Lil Nog interested in Forrest Griffin fight ! Empty Re: Lil Nog interested in Forrest Griffin fight !

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:07 pm

Nog would win this one, but Forrest said on MMA live he isnt interested, he only wants fights with big name guys.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:46 pm

Yep 100% agree, he has better standup and groundgame but looked to have more speed and power as well. Event though he has been KO'd as well I think he has a better chin also.

Susan Boyle has a better chin than Forrest Griffin. This would be a very easy fight for Lil Nog on paper, and would probably end up with Griffin running from the ring. But don't underestimate Griffin, he has the Randy Couture ability to pull a win out of his ass. See Rampage and Shogun fights for evidence.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:32 pm

HaHa big names shocking Griffin. Personally I can't see Griffin reaching the heights he has achieved, and although Ortiz was crap Griffin wasn't particulary amazing... Griffin has never impressed me really sorry to say it, he was good in TUF and has made a name for himself beating a poor Rampage... turning down Little Nog is prob due to the fact he doesn't want to lose to a low tier fighter GO Little Nog!!!
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:27 am

manschesthair_utd wrote:Nog would win this one, but Forrest said on MMA live he isnt interested, he only wants fights with big name guys.

Big name guys?
    I know he isn't Minotauro, but he is a NOGUEIRA. Names don't get much bigger than that in MMA...

But anyway, Griffin isn't the fighter he used to be (or was he ever that good? Did he just ride his luck?). Lil Nog is always a threat, and should win this one.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:13 pm

I reckon Forrest is ducking Little Nog, claiming he isn't a big enough name sounds like an excuse to me.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:45 pm

I think Forrest knows it'd be nap-time if he fought Lil Nog!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:50 pm

I think Lil Nog should be looking for better opposition at the momment anyway. Fuck Forrest, I think him vs T Silva would be a good fight. I think Lil Nog could beat any LHW on the world. Brilliant on the feet with the best BJJ in the LHW division. Maybe him vs Franklin but I don't want Franklin to lose so I hope that doesn't happen.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:57 pm

I think Nog needs a big name fighter next rather than a top fighter. Griffin makes the most sense, but Franklin is a great call.

Lil Nog against Silva, Rashad or Shogun would be wonderful. I think he could beat all 3. Not Machida though. He's too slow and too methodical. Machida would counter him into a KO.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:39 am

I was just going to say i think he would struggle against Machida. Id love to see a Shogun-Lil Nog rematch, there first fight was amazing. I think Lil Nog would beat T Silva but im not sure about Evans. If Evans stops thinking he is a kickboxer and goes back to his roots, he could cause a problem.

Franklin looks like the most likely but I hope not. He deserves a bit of a break after his last few fights.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:30 pm

lil nog ko rd 1 easy fight for him
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:23 pm

Lost a lot of respect for Forrest thinking Nog isnt a big enough name for him.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:33 pm

It funny, when i first found out about this fight i wanted Nog to face more higher calibre opponent, now Forrest doesnt think Nog is good enough for him....

Good riddance i say, it one step closer to Shogun-Nog rematch which is what we all want, or Nog-Rampage would be a treat.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:40 pm

Id just like to see Nog batter Griffin now, What an arsehole to actually think Nog is below him. Nog beat Hendo and Overeem so what makes Griffin too good for him? Not the humble Griffin people seem to like

Nog just beat a top 10 guy in the 1st round
    Griffin just beat a top 20 guy by SD

Nog is on a 6 fight winning spree
    Griffin is on a 1 fight winning spree

Nogs Record 18/3/0
    Griffins Record 17/6/0

Id love to see Nog fight either Shogun, Machida, Ramapge or the Evans vs T.Silva winner, Ie someone who isnt a step down in competition but Id love him to batter Griffin just to bring him down to earth again.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:44 pm

Griffin didn't say Nog was below him or anything of the sort. People need to start listening to what is said. He said that at this point in his career it would be better for him to get his ass kicked by someone that people know and is a superstar rather than get beaten by someone who's a bit of an unknown. And Little Nog is an unknown to American UFC fans who are still asking what all the fuss about some Russian bloke is about. Griffin gave credit to Nog and admitted he could very well lose to him but it's better for him to lose to an Evans or Liddell than someone people don't know.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:47 pm

yes i got the impression he was spoiling for an evans rematch.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Nog beat Hendo and Overeem so what makes Griffin too good for him

Griffin beat Rampage and Shogun who are bigger wins. Certainly over Overoid who isn't worth a shit when he isn't roiding.

But thats besides the point, I don't think Griffin is the kind of guy who would say that. Casual fans not only in the US but everywhere don't really know Lil Nog. If Griffin lost to him like everyone thinks, the fans will think he is past it because he lost to a can. Clearly thats not the case because Lil Nog could always beat Griffin but you have to think of it from a casual fans mind.

Anyway Griffin should not look at Evans right now, Evans would be too much.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:45 am

Thats actually fair enough Anfield! I actually posted in work and didnt get to read the link. I see where he is coming from. Shame the American fans are so Ignorant.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:26 pm

Realistically, at his best Little Nog is a top 5 LHW(he's number 4 right now for me after Machida, Shogun, Rashad). And no1 in their right mind would have him outside the top 10.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:11 pm

This fight is apparently back on "soon" this year

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=3782
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:18 pm

Nog would walk straight through Forrest IMO. Would love to see him against Shogun, Machida, Evans or Jackson. Not sure where the fuck Griffin gets off on thinking that Nog isn't a 'big enough name', as has been said, Little Nog has to be top 5 in the div.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:36 pm

Its been explained before,Lil Nog is not a big enough name in the US according to Griffin and thats fair enough IMO. He said that he though Lil Nog could beat him.

As for the fight itself, its a bad fight for Griffin, Lil Nog has very good boxing, better than his big brother, he looked outstanding in his fight against Luiz Cane. Nog also probably has the best BJJ in the UFC LHW division and top 3 everywhere else. Griffin won'tsub him and on the feet, sooner or later he will get caught on his weak chin.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:43 pm

I hear that Nog is gettin the winner of Vera/Bones thats even better all these lanky strikers are great to watch, any combination of Nog/Bones/Vera/Griffin works for me but I think Bones wins and fight Nog... Id like to see Vera vs Griffin but with another loss Vera might not be a big enough name!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:06 am