THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
Wonga
Anfields5thKing
mikeyboybisping
KalDog
rudeboyben84
hendos_right_hook
payneNglory1
11 posters

Tito Ortiz Calls Out Forrest Griffin, Says Liddell Should Stay Retired

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Tito Ortiz Calls Out Forrest Griffin, Says Liddell Should Stay Retired  Empty Tito Ortiz Calls Out Forrest Griffin, Says Liddell Should Stay Retired

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:47 am

Following successful surgery on his neck, "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" Tito Ortiz has targeted a November return to the Octagon.

Ortiz has been on the shelf since suffering a neck injury while filming The Ultimate Fighter. Ortiz was scheduled to face Chuck Liddell at UFC 115 but pulled out of the bout.

Ortiz recently spoke his return and called out one of his former opponent, but not Chuck Liddell:

"The surgery went really, really well. I just started doing weight training so next week I start doing drills. I have to make sure I make the right steps for my future and my career. I hope I get the Chuck fight. As a fighter, I would love to kick his ass. As a human being, I don't think he should fight anymore just because health is more important than fights. Grudge matches are important to sell, but at the same time he has kids to take care of and I don't want nothin' serious to happen to him. (Getting knocked out) that many times, it gets kinda scary. I was really shocked (by the loss to Rich Franklin fight), I saw all my money go out the window. It is what it is, everything in this world happens for a reason and I'll be back at the end of November. I'd like to [fight] Forrest. If Forrest would like to do a trilogy it'd be awesome. We gave two great fights both times we fought and we'll get a triple fight more exciting than the last two."

hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Tito Ortiz Calls Out Forrest Griffin, Says Liddell Should Stay Retired  Empty Re: Tito Ortiz Calls Out Forrest Griffin, Says Liddell Should Stay Retired

Post  hendos_right_hook Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Ortiz should retire. Once you take away his past achivements and glories, he just isn't in the physical state to be fighting guys like Griffin anymore. Most of the division would beat him quite easily now. He didn't look particularly good in the last Griffin fight and now with his neck problems that will still be present in some fashion and could quite easily come back, he simply cannot compete in the sport anymore.

Who knows, I might just be being a tad harsh on the man. That said, I would put money on him returning, failing to win a fight and retiring after.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Tito Ortiz Calls Out Forrest Griffin, Says Liddell Should Stay Retired  Empty Re: Tito Ortiz Calls Out Forrest Griffin, Says Liddell Should Stay Retired

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Ortiz is lower ranked that Liddell! Ortiz isnt top 30, Griffin vs him may have been close enough but on paper Tito hasnt won in ages, or done anything in ages and his name doesnt mean as much these days.

He should have to fight his way up against lower ranked fighters and stop calling out top guys like Forrest. I say let him fight Matt Hamill who would be a step up from him in the rankings and he can take it from there.
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:13 pm

He's still a massive draw for the UFC. He at least talks a good fight and his last performance against Forrest was fine until he came out for the 3rd round!!! remember he was inactive for over a year before his last fight. Granted, he will never, ever challenge for the LHW belt but he's a genuine gate keeper and i still think he takes the rubber match with Forrest
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  mikeyboybisping Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Tito hasn't be fully fit in years. A cracked skull is a serious injury.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:59 am

It was also a blatant lie.

Ortiz should be made fight Chuck. He bitched out of the fight and is now praying Dana doesn't make it happen.
    Wonga
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  Wonga Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:17 pm

Ortiz likes chasing rematches

He had the whole Guy Mezger thing that he tried to drag out to three fights, then there was the Shamrock trilogy and now he's looking for a third match against Liddel and/or Griffen.

I think he will retire before fighting someone like Hammil as there would be much less publicity and the purse would propably be a lot lower. He wasnt to happy when he was made fight Machida.

KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Apart from Shogun, Tito is one of the few fighters who lasted the whole fight with Lyoto. (in recent times)
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:47 pm

Also apart from Shogun, he had Lyoto in the most trouble with that triangle, maybe even the most trouble he'd ever been in in his career up until the Shogun rematch.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:59 pm

Machida beat the shit out of Tito for 3 rounds and was never close to tapping. Tito never landed a single strike in that fight.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:02 pm

Ortiz should fight Liddell and both should retire after the fight. Maybe Tito can carry on if he wins.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:06 pm

Ortiz against Kimbo would have made sense.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:14 pm

Ye true but I think Liddell deserves a fight with Tito after all the shit he talked. Liddell was really pissed off after Ortiz said Liddell was an alcholic. It seems like the most logical way for Liddell to retire, against his biggest rival.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:05 pm

KalDog wrote:Apart from Shogun, Tito is one of the few fighters who lasted the whole fight with Lyoto. (in recent times)

depends what you call recent!

Lyoto has won loads of decisions, and used to be critisized for his defensive strategies all the time.
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Exactly what I mean, recently as in Tito, sokoudju, silva, Evans, rua x2, there's three finishes
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:23 am

What Chesty means(i think) is that Machida's fights before Tito, which could also be considered recent, went to decision as well. And it's not like Tito was even competitive in the fight.
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:42 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:What Chesty means(i think) is that Machida's fights before Tito, which could also be considered recent, went to decision as well. And it's not like Tito was even competitive in the fight.

I agree, it wasn't competitive, but machida had plenty of chances to finish and couldn't, unless your name is chuck, Ortiz is hard to put away
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:26 am

i actually think i dont know why ortiz could beat griffin and if he was to fight chuck again he maybe could out wrestle chuck,

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 3:22 am