THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
Sheldan
Cowboys From Hell
6 posters

R.I.P Randy Savage

Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

R.I.P Randy Savage Empty R.I.P Randy Savage

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri May 20, 2011 7:53 pm

TMZ spoke with Randy's brother, Lanny Poffo, who tells us the wrestling legend suffered a heart attack while he was behind the wheel around 9:25 AM ... and lost control of his vehicle.

Earlier this month, Savage celebrated his 1-year anniversary with his new wife Lynn.

Savage was 58.

Macho Man began wrestling in the WWF in 1985 and became a superstar with his trademark catchphrase "Ooooooh Yeaahhhhh." Savage was so popular, he became the spokesperson for Slim Jim in the mid '90s ... and became virtually synonymous with the brand.

UPDATE: Florida Highway Patrol tells TMZ ... Savage was driving his 2009 Jeep Wrangler when he veered across a concrete median ... through oncoming traffic ... and "collided head-on with a tree."

Savage was transported to Largo Medical center, where he died from his injuries.

Savage's wife was a passenger in the vehicle during the collision -- but survived with "minor injuries." She was transported to a different local hospital where she was treated.

Absolutley gutted was a huge Randy fan a kid Sad
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

R.I.P Randy Savage Empty Re: R.I.P Randy Savage

Post  Sheldan Fri May 20, 2011 8:06 pm

R.I.P Macho Man

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri May 20, 2011 10:05 pm

yes rip randy thanks for getting me interested in pro wrestling.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Fri May 20, 2011 11:51 pm

I remember reading somewhere the rate of serious injury and or death related to competing in various pro sports, per 100'000 participants.
    The figures I recall were I think MMA and Gridiron were around 1, cheerleading 0.6, and pro wrasslin'...

2'500

A ludicrous price to pay for one of the most baffling and awful creations of human culture.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sat May 21, 2011 12:40 am

Mryzyz wrote:I remember reading somewhere the rate of serious injury and or death related to competing in various pro sports, per 100'000 participants.
    The figures I recall were I think MMA and Gridiron were around 1, cheerleading 0.6, and pro wrasslin'...

2'500

A ludicrous price to pay for one of the most baffling and awful creations of human culture.

In the 90's professional wrestling was arguably the most exciting "entertainment product" that was out there, (I say entertainment product because most people wouldn't call it a sport), even now despite being that much of a fan anymore I find myself watching due to the likes of The Rock returning. To say it is an awful creation is a bit dismissive of something that has guys that probably work harder than any other guys in any other entertainment industry or any other sport, and I doubt that there is anybody out there who can argue that as a child they didn't watch somebody like Hulk Hogan or Bret Hart or Macho Man Randy Savage and wasn't excited at what they were watching.

Professional wrestling is a killer though, and the fact that it is scripted is the reason why there are no real rule sets as to what guys can and can't do and most of the time guys do stupid things to put their body on the line. Luckily the likes of WWE are making restrictions on certain things such as chair shots to the head to try and prevent those injuries, but unfortunatly due to the simple nature of what professional wrestling requires, that number you quoted won't be coming down anytime soon, and for the guys who spend 10+ years in the professional wrestling industry, they're putting their health seriously at risk.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat May 21, 2011 6:01 am

Tragic loss. RIP Macho Man.
    1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  1972-casual Sat May 21, 2011 9:36 am

OOOOOOOHHHHHH YEEEEAAAAAHHHH

Most pro wrestlers die due to some sort fo substance based issue but this seems different. Real shame the Macho King has gone.

PS Wonder if he tried to kick out on 2

Thanks for the memories Macho Man
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun May 22, 2011 4:40 pm

i watched a kurt angle documentary and he was saying that steroids wasnt a huge issue it was the pain killer addictions they had keeping up with 320 day a year shedule.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:03 am