THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
payneNglory1
manschesthair_utd
Moose Stuff For Money...
Sly Uses
the_king
9 posters

randy v toney

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

randy v toney Empty randy v toney

Post  the_king Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:58 pm

hi guys just been reading an artical on a boxing site that calls the randy v toney the biggest freak show ever calling mma a non sport cock fest. however on a recent poll on this sight more people said they would buy this fight than any other boxing bout as it will settle the boxing vs mma debate.
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

randy v toney Empty Re: randy v toney

Post  Sly Uses Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:58 am

Can someone explain the 'boxing vs MMA' debate please? There was never a 'wrestling vs MMA' debate, and if there was then wrestling would probably win Neutral PRIDE even had basically Judo vs MMA (if we assume this fight is boxing vs MMA) yet nobody cares about it.

Toney's been training wrestling, jiu jitsu, kicks etc so when he faces Randy he will step in as a mixed martial artist.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:01 am

I doubt it will settle anything...

If Randy wins a decision or submission the arguments will start...
    - Toney hasn't been relevant as a boxer for years.
    - Toney is out of shape.
    - Randy just hugged Toney he didn't hurt him.
    - It was a bad first fight for Toney to take.
    - Randy was just too experienced.

If Toney wins by knockout the arguments will start...
    - Randy's too old.
    - So what? A boxer should have enough power to KO anyone whilst wearing small gloves.
    - It was a lucky punch (a questionable argument but it was brought up in the Mercer v Silvia arguments).

The only way I think it'll go any way to solving the argument is if either Toney submits Randy or Randy KO's Toney, or perhaps show equal skill in the other person's discipline.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:04 am

IamFluffykins wrote:Can someone explain the 'boxing vs MMA' debate please?
    I think it's more a lack of respect from some corners of the boxing world to MMA.

Last edited by Moose Stuff For Money... on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 am; edited 2 times in total
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:20 am

B-Hop...
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:37 am

king have you got a link to the article please??
    i would be interested to read it.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:04 am

I find that most combat sport fans and competators have a great respect for and enjoy boxing,infact i don't think I've met an MMA fan that doesn't love to watch a good boxing match, but for some reason alot of boxing purists and fighters have a weird out look on other combat sports,they seem to want to dismiss them and look down on them,especially MMA.
    Especially now because of the huge popularity MMA has found,they somehow see it as a threat to there sport and would prefer to critise than except it as a completely differant form of fighting entertainment.
    How many K1,MMA,BJJ guys do you see,saying they would take Mayweather,Klitshco etc out in a boxing match,for me it's about on par as an Ozzie rules star thinking he could be the best player in the NFL or vice versa,two completely differant sports that share a very small aspect of each others sport.
    If kickboxing,BJJ,Judo or any of the other combat sports had found the same popularity and following that MMA has created,I would bet any money they would be doing exactly the same towards them.
    The beauty of it all,is no boxing vs any other sport will make a shit of differance to the subject,no matter the outcome of any of these fights,it's the fans that choose what they want to watch and there is more than enough room for them all to survive.
    It's a daft argument and I intend to carry on enjoying both.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:25 am

sorry dont know where the link is, but i also watch both boxing and mma. i thing as boxing is like a million years old and mma has been around a fraction of that time boxing fans feel agreived that all the young talent is now wanting to jump on the mma band wagon, as a mma fan more than boxing i am happy for all the talented young guns to switch,.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:11 am

I think only a small percentage of guys will switch to MMA from boxing,afterall there is still alot more money to be made at boxing compared to MMA but I can see a few moving across as the average pay in MMA increases and the sponsership deals become more and more lucrative.

Boxing in the US has been struggling for a while now because of American football and basketball and not any other sports,as the most physically strong,big athletic guys choose a sport that they can make 10 times the amount of money compared to what your average fighter can make in a lifetime,(without getting smacked in the head),just by getting signed,never mind actually making the team.
    Plus the fact it's only about the top 1% of boxers like your Mayweathers and del a hoyas that make stupid amounts of money.

MMA has not taken anything away from boxing,they have attracted a completely differant kind of fighter.
    MMA has opened the door and gave a chance for millions of fighters from predominantly Amature background combat sports that normally had no chance or atleast a very slim chance at making an actual living out of there sports,who also would never have been boxers in the 1st place,so really that should have absolutely no effect on boxing at all.

Look at these college wrestlers that once they had spent a lifetime becoming the best at there sport,they left school and had nowhere to go with there sport,except teaching,otherwise it's a matter of joining the everyday work force.
    Now they have the opportunity to put all there energy into it,with the knowledge of knowing they can make a living from it and it's nearly exactly the same for your other combat sports that were nearly impossible to make a full time living from.
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  mikeyboybisping Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:50 am

Boxing is dead, long live MMA!!!
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:51 pm

SirSquatAlot
    SirSquatAlot
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  SirSquatAlot Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:11 pm

Hey Guys.

I'm on here all the time but don't post very often.. however. I watched that James Tony video and i'm wondering if there is something up with him or if he's just had to many punches to the head as that is the worst god damn smack talk i've ever heard. He sounds drunk!!

In some respects i hope he beats Randy because he'll then be fed to somebody who could hopefully do him some proper damage. On the other hand, he seems like a complete tool and if (when) he gets beaten, i hopefully won't have to see him again!!

Anyways, cheers for keeping me amused with the great posts, gives me something to do at lunch times and i'll be sure to contribute more in future.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:24 pm

V klitchko is fighting Shannon Briggs

W Klitchko is fighting Samuel Peters

David haye rumoured to be fighting Fraudley.

Its no wonder boxing fans/commentators/promoters are worried. There is only one fight of interest on the horizon in boxing and that may or may not happen, boxing has had a shocking decline since the late 90's.
    Hank Scorpio
    Hank Scorpio
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Hank Scorpio Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:32 pm

I don't think you can compare Boxing or any other martial art on its own or wrestling to MMA. It would be the same as trying to compare the 100 metres sprint to the decathalon....pointless imho.

Sure a top boxer can move to MMA using his boxing as the basis to "begin" his MMA training much like Kos and many others have done with wrestling or Maia and many others with jujitsu.

A top boxer will get plenty of wins via KO in MMA but there will be more fights he cant win than can if all he's bringing to the Octagon is his punching power...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:01 pm

SirSquatAlot wrote:I watched that James Tony video and i'm wondering if there is something up with him or if he's just had to many punches to the head as that is the worst god damn smack talk i've ever heard. He sounds drunk!!
    His speech is definately more slurred now than it used to be, however I've also heard him worse than he is in that video.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 12:36 pm