THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+10
the_king
manschesthair_utd
Albion_Oakley
Shanemc
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
payneNglory1
rudeboyben84
ChelseaQuinsfan
Moose Stuff For Money...
14 posters

'Lights Out' Toney For The UFC?

Poll

Would you like to see Toney in the octagon?

[ 1 ]
    'Lights Out' Toney For The UFC? I_vote_lcap9%'Lights Out' Toney For The UFC? I_vote_rcap [9%] 
    [ 8 ]
    'Lights Out' Toney For The UFC? I_vote_lcap73%'Lights Out' Toney For The UFC? I_vote_rcap [73%] 
    [ 2 ]
    'Lights Out' Toney For The UFC? I_vote_lcap18%'Lights Out' Toney For The UFC? I_vote_rcap [18%] 

Total Votes: 11
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

'Lights Out' Toney For The UFC? Empty 'Lights Out' Toney For The UFC?

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:27 pm

James 'Lights Out' Toney seems to reckon that "Chicken Shit" Dana White is going to offer him a deal...

http://www.cagepotato.com/james-toney-still-wants-fight-ufc-still-out-his-damn-mind

I'd be very surprised if Toney ever competed in the UFC. His best days are long behind him but he seems to reckon he could go in and compete at the top level.

Toney was never quite the same boxer after Roy Jones Junior gave him a boxing lesson and has piled on the pounds and failed a drug test (after beating John Ruiz for the heavyweight title) since then. However, before the Jones defeat, whilst Tyson was incarcerated, Toney was one of the biggest draws in boxing and is probably still one of the most well known fighters in the sport. If the UFC hires Kimbo to sell events what's to stop them from turning to Toney?

Last edited by Moose Stuff For Money... on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

'Lights Out' Toney For The UFC? Empty Re: 'Lights Out' Toney For The UFC?

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:48 pm

One fight and see how he does, After some training with a good camp like ATT. If he does good sign him up. Why not, Imagine Toney vs Kimbo or Toney vs Liddell. A lot of money in those fights.

The name of this thread is very misleading BTW. Smile
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:53 pm

Title has been modified.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 pm

Yeah id love to see it, he would be the biggest name Pro Boxer to cross over to MMA, he said if Mercer could KO Sylvia imagine what he would do! He also said Liddell was intimidated by him!!! Id love to see it, Fat or not Toney is still one hell of a figher. One of the best Heavys in Boxing. He was right down to 217lbs for his last fight were be blew his opponent away in 2 rounds... I think a few months at a good camp and he would be a force in MMA, I think he would batter Kimbo 1 handed and probabally KO liddell standing but I dont think he has any MMA experience so its just a matter of taking him down
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:37 pm

I met up with Dana. He was cool and said we could do business. We exchanged numbers and I texted him all night.

I presume that was a two way dialogue or do you think it went something like this.

11:48 PM
    "Yo Day-Day,

Still thinking about when we met up. Yous a special new friend. I want you to know that if you eva need 2 chat I'm here..."

12:04 AM
    "Day-Day,

Hadn't heard from u. Just want to remind you that my phone is on and I'm up all night usually. It's okay if you wake me up if you want to holla..."

12:45 AM
    "Hey did you txt me just now? I felt something buzzing. Maybe I'm trippin, lol"

1:03 AM
    "Dawg check dat moon out. Shit got its shine on for real. Beautiful."

1:05 AM
    "Sorry if you were asleep. Look out ur window before you go back to sleep though. That some special shit, just wanted to make sure you got 2 see it."

1:36 AM
    "OK Day-Day, getting in my pj's now. You can txt me 2moro if you want, I'll be up by noon. Maybe...lmao. Damn BK near me stops serving breakfast wraps at 11 you believe that shit?

1:45 AM
    "Did you just call Day-Day,I was in the Boyz room,thought I heard summit"

1:55 AM
    "G'nite Day-Day,talk 2moro.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:43 pm

Thats brilliant........ lol!

"Day-Day" lol
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:53 pm

James Toney probably likes to think everyone is intimidated by him.

Toney was a quality boxer and I would look forward to seeing how he would fair in MMA. A Toney destruction of Kimbo would be particularly enjoyable to watch. However, he would need to put the required work in first to ensure he could compete and work hasn't always been his strong point. If he was down to 217lbs for his last fight that is good though.

The last Toney fight I saw was the second against Samuel Peter. I've never really rated Peter too highly but he controlled the fight and won the decision. Toney landed a few nice counters but he no longer seemed to have the handspeed or movement to stop Peter's slugging.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:27 pm

Toney used to be a great fighter. He's not anymore. I'd have no interest in seeing him fight MMA.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:48 pm

id watch but has he got any training in mma at all?
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:52 am

Not that I'm aware of.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:11 pm

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:26 pm

Laughing Dana didn't seem to keen on signing Toney.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:47 pm

I'd like to see Toney vs Rampage
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:10 am

I'd like to see Toney v Kimbo.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:05 am

good call moose a realistic fight kimbo could win love to see toney ko him and the look on danas face
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:03 pm

A catchweight would probabally suit Toney as well who would be rag dolled by most heavys with a bit of grappling and he has probabally taken too many roids and eaten too many KFC's to make 205!

Kimbo wouldnt dare bang with Toney but maby his Basic Groundgame ATT have shown him would carry him to a win. Rampage might be stupid enough to try and Box with him because thats all Rampage does these days! But realistically if he had half a bit of sence he would slam Toney on his head!

I hope Toney does some kind of MMA training if he wants to fight in the UFC, Maby Toney vs Shannon Briggs?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Guys some more information about this.

Is the former IBF champion heading to the UFC?

After pro boxer James Toney attended his second straight UFC PPV last night at UFC 108, the rumors are flying that the former IBF middleweight and super middleweight champion is looking to get into the UFC. Well, UFC President Dana White recently commented on the Toney situation during last night's UFC 108 post-fight press conference:

"He's stalking me, man. I don't know. He and I are gonna sit down and talk this evening. He looks good though.

"(Boxer) Zab (Judah's) like, ‘Man, you need to teach these guys how to box. You need to teach them this, that, and everything,' but these guys don't understand. You don't balance your weight the same way you balance your weight in boxing. You'll get that front leg kicked off into the eighth row somewhere if you distribute your weight the same way they do in boxing. There's an education process there for these guys that I learned the fucking hard way. I went in and got choked out and kicked in the leg and all the stuff that happened to me when I started.

"I got blasted this week? Let me make this fight. Then I'll get blasted from her to-- I'm the first guy out there going, ‘This is a fucking freak show. Who would put on a fight like that? But I gotta tell you this. I've always wanted to see a guy--(Toney's) a guy I actually respect. He's tough as nails. He's mean. He's nasty. (But) he better get in shape if he wants to come in here and do this stuff."

Credit: Sherdog.com
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:07 pm

I think Toney's best option is a cruiserweight boxing match with Bernard Hopkins, then retirement.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Bernard Hopkins would fuck Toney up beyone belief! I think Hopkins wants Green then Haye at Hw (yes I think he is loosing his mind as well!!) But for Toney... Maby Shannon Briggs in MMA? Maby Kimbo? I think he is done as a top contender in Boxing because I think he wont make Cruiser or under again.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:43 pm

This rumour is picking up pace rather quickly now.

On meeting with Dana White and joining the UFC...

"Everything went good man. I can’t complain about it. We went in and took care of our business and now we’re going to see if he puts his money where his mouth is."

"I want Brock Lesnar and I know, unfortunately, he’s injured right now and had surgery, but I want him, Kimbo, Kendra, whatever his name is, Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell or whoever."

"They think I will get my ass whooped. They will all be disappointed. You know I got a very big mouth and it can’t be shut. I have never been stopped in damn near 90 professional boxing fights and never will be. I still do my thing. They let a street fighter in the UFC; I know they can let a future Hall of Fame boxer with real fighting skills and credentials in there, but they scared."

"They see what I did to peoples face with 10 oz. gloves, right? My chin is great dog! I ain’t even worried about that. Just show them the video tape of these fighters after I finish hitting them with 4 oz. gloves. They gotta get this shit together man; can’t nobody see me in this game. They talking about ground game? That don’t mean nothing to me dog. Number one, I ain’t going to allow none of them boys to lay on top of me like a lil’ fag, you know what I’m saying?"

"I have put the ball in Dana’s court and if he doesn’t do it, everybody will know he’s scared."

"I ain’t going to the ground; that ain’t happening. I got one of the best mixed martial arts trainers in the world, which is my daddy. You know what I’m saying? He is one of the original death fighters. They fought to the death, like in them movies, but it’s a matter of time. I will be ready to go."

There is more to the interview here.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content6619.html
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:53 pm

Toney is a straight up G! Laughing

he makes Kimbo look white and middle class in comparison!

Toney is right though, if UFC offered Kimbo a shot based on popularity they should offer Toney who was (Ill stop short at Great) but was a very very good boxer. And most MMA fighters who stand with him are in serious trouble. MMA is still evloving and I feel a lot of MMA fighters have poor boxing technique, a lot of top fighters still throw armpunches etc..

I think Toney KO's a lot of Lhw's who havnt great kicks on the feet. Vera etc.. would maul him (see Muay Thai vs Boxing!) But honestly all this calling out Brock is Funny, Brock is so Strong and such a good wrestler I think he literally could Rape Toney! Laughing

Fuck It I want to see him in the UFC. Shannon Briggs vs Toney. whoever wins gets a contract I say, At least Briggs is in an MMA gym, I doubt Toneys pop is going to teach him how to escape a rear naked choke! Laughing

Just another point Toney weighed 217.5lbs for his last fight. I think he can make 205lbs no probs.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:11 pm

Toney v Briggs (with both of them wearing one boxing glove) Laughing
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:23 am

I say Dana makes an example out of Toney,give him the weight advantage and give the fight to GSP at LHW.
    They are both about 5'10 and GSP without cutting easily makes 205,Toney obviously doesn't cut weight now but should easily make 205,the man looks like a giant cannonball.

show him why you need a ground game aswell in this game.
    Plus it could be just the kind of challenge that might make GSP stick with MMA and forget this Olympic dream he's got going on Very Happy .
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:16 am

Toney keeps talking...

“They talking about ground game? That don’t mean nothing to me dog. Number one, I ain’t going to allow none of them boys to lay on top of me like a lil’ fag, you know what I’m saying? I ain’t going to the ground; that ain’t happening, you know what I’m saying?

…I know a lot of them thinking they would fuck me up and they gonna shoot in on me and all of that, but I ain’t going to the ground; that ain’t happening. I got one of the best mixed martial arts trainers in the world, which is my daddy. You know what I’m saying? He is one of the original death fighters. They fought to the death like in them movies, but it’s a matter of time. I will be ready to go.”

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content6619.html
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:40 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:Bernard Hopkins would fuck Toney up beyone belief! I think Hopkins wants Green then Haye at Hw (yes I think he is loosing his mind as well!!) But for Toney... Maby Shannon Briggs in MMA? Maby Kimbo? I think he is done as a top contender in Boxing because I think he wont make Cruiser or under again.

I dunno, Toney is one of the great technical boxers ever and BHop didn't impress me in his last fight. BHop would win but it would be a competitive fight IMO.

Toney vs Tarver might be an option either.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 11:28 am