THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
The_Axe_Emperor
sunthunder
the_king
Cowboys From Hell
superman_punch
efils_god
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
2brutal
13 posters

Big nog v schaub confirmed for brazil

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Big nog v schaub confirmed for brazil  Empty Big nog v schaub confirmed for brazil

Post  2brutal Mon May 16, 2011 8:21 pm

I'm going nog you guys any thoughts
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Big nog v schaub confirmed for brazil  Empty Re: Big nog v schaub confirmed for brazil

Post  redmeanie77 Mon May 16, 2011 10:22 pm

Schaub UD
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Big nog v schaub confirmed for brazil  Empty Re: Big nog v schaub confirmed for brazil

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon May 16, 2011 11:06 pm

Nog to easily outbox him and be on his way to a comfortable UD when Schaub will close his eyes and throw a huge hail mary haywaker which will knock Nog to the ground where he will hit his head hard on the ground and be knocked out.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue May 17, 2011 9:02 am

Gotta go Schuab UD after nog's layoff. Hope not though....
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Tue May 17, 2011 11:38 am

I'm going for Schaub merely on the fact I can't remember the last time Nog looked good and put someone in danger. Mir and Cain handled him with ease, I know he wasn't 100% for the Mir fight but I still think Schaubs size will get him the UD.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue May 17, 2011 12:51 pm

I don't like this fight and this is typical of what the UFC have been doing with Schuab giving him Big named fighters way past their prime.

Really want to back Nog in this one but have this horrible feeling Schaub is going to Ko Nog Sad
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Tue May 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Have faith big nog no doubt in my mind
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 17, 2011 2:20 pm

superman_punch wrote:merely on the fact I can't remember the last time Nog looked good and put someone in danger.

Probably Couture.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue May 17, 2011 2:25 pm

shaub to win by ko.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue May 17, 2011 11:42 pm

Nogueira is always going to be one trip takedown away from a win against nearly every heavyweight.

But realistically, he's shot. He's been shot since the Mir fight. Schaub probably clobbers him with a right hand to add another depressing coffin nail to the grave of the Pride old guard.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed May 18, 2011 12:43 am

For the key to this fight, look at the Schaub- Gonzaga fight. Schaub was beating him up on the feet but the very second (and i mean the VERY second) Gonzaga got him down he sunk in the choke and had the bell not sounded would have choked him out.

Nog is superior to Gonzaga on the ground and not in love with his standup like Gabe was so he'll constantly try for the takedown.

Nog first round sub.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed May 18, 2011 12:03 pm

I'm with Cowboy on this one. UFC seems to be handing names (way past their best)to the likes of Schaub, in a vain effort to build the newer fighters rep.

I would love to see Nog take this, but, I fear that he's well shot now. I see a stoppage victory for Schaub 2nd or 3rd, but, see predictions league for how effective my predictions are.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed May 18, 2011 2:44 pm

Agree, it's just the UFC trying to create a top level fighter out of a shit fighter, like they've done countless times. And as has happened countless times, the first time he faces anyone decent he'll get destroyed. Oh wait, Roy Nelson already destroyed him. Schaub = shit.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed May 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Why are people all over Schaubs nuts?

Just to put things into prespective he was going to loose to Mirko before the KO. Thats Mirko who IS shot to shit.

Nog is still a top 10 heavy and doesnt get the respect that goes hand in hand with it, He schooled Couture, dropped him with Strikes, nearly subbed him and beat him black and Blue.

You can write off the Cain loss because Cain is the best Heavy in the roster, the Champ and has beaten everyone he has fought (the mighty brock included)

Mir beat Nog, fair enough but Nog fought sick as hell! Ive called Nog shot myself but I didnt realise he was fighting with old injuries that needed surgery.
    --------------------------

If reports are true that Nogs surgeries have fixed his body there isnt a hope in hell that Schaub beats him.

Nog 1st round Sub.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Wed May 18, 2011 3:29 pm

I agree to a certain extent. I think he'll probably beat Nog, but then i can't see him going any further up the ladder. He has been given fights with people on the downslide for a while now.

Anyone above Nog's rank i think beats him pretty easily. The problem is outside the top 5 or so the HW division is pretty weak. If he beats nog who will he face. Mir-Nelson loser? Carwin-JDS loser? Russow? Mitrione? There are not a whole lot of 'intermediate' fights out there in the HW division.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Wed May 18, 2011 3:41 pm

Glad I'm not alone Ben, nog to outclass him big time
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed May 18, 2011 5:10 pm

I'm with Axe and Ben, i've got Nog to sub Schaub in the 1st, I think everybody are looking too much into what Schaub did to Cro Cop and Gonzaga, one guy has literally no ground game, and the other guy for some reason chooses not to use his ground game, so he's been in there with other guys who will stand with him. Nog will try and take Schaub down and sub him, and I see nothing from Schaub that will stop him from doing so.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed May 18, 2011 5:42 pm

I understand where you guys are coming from (in expecting a Nog victory), and if Nog was even half the fighter that he has been, he would walk this. I just don't think that he has got a great deal left. Hope I'm wrong though.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed May 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Nogs biggerst weakness is his Physicality, Crocop is Physical in comparison to him Schaub is a big young guy and if Nog was a young man starting his career today he would be doing it at Lhw.

Its really wether Schaub is fast and strong enough to keep Nog from taking him down, Considering Nogs slow footwork you could only assume Schaub wants to stick and move looking for a KO shot...

Schaub keeping Nog at range long enough to KO him doesnt sound unlikely given Nogs chin might have gone the way of Chucks but you see his head being still in the game 99% of the time he gets dropped, Nog is a very very dangerous man to pounce on and try to finish for a guy like Schaub... Schaub delivering a standing 1 punch Lombard KO is the only way I see him winning.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Nog put Couture on his arse a couple of times in their fight. He trains with Machida, Anderson, Aldo, Lil Nog... being Blackhouse is a good thing for anyone in its striking. Nelson is overrated on the feet and he turned Schuabs lights out. Nog has been fighting injuries his whole career, he has just got Hip and Knee surgery which he clearly has needed for years.

Nog doesnt get the credit he diserves on some MMA websites, bet if 606 was still there he would be!! The way I see if the rest and Surgery help him Schaub is in way over his head, if Nog is only in the form he was Schaub is still the underdog in my eyes.

Nog has overcome nearly every other championship level fighter apart from Fedor,

Couture
    Sylvia
    Barnett
    Werdum
    Crocoo
    Hendo
    Rico (could take him off to be picky)
    Coleman

looses to

Mir (could take him off too to be Picky! Laughing
    Cain
    Hendo (Split decision)
    Barnett (Split decision)

Are people really seeing a big TUF figter who so far has pretty much been a can crusher,

Crocop - Lets just be polite to a legend and say "unranked" but gave him a good fight all the same

Gonzaga - Cant throw hands for shit, couldnt win a boxing match with Jake Shields... and had thoughts of a career change after the Schaub fight!

Chris Tuchscherer - Non Zuffa, all wrestling human punchbag fighter.

Chase Gormley - Non Zuffa, Lost 3 of his last 4

Bojan Spalević - 3-6

Alex Rozman - 0-12 id like to point out he has been finished every fight, a nice 6KO and 6Sub!! Is the hall of shame still about? man has never made it past 2:07 as far as I see on Sherdog!

Johnny Curtis - 6-3 Lost to Schaub because of a freak accident 1 min into the fight

Jay Lester - Who at 0-1-0 AFTER the schaub fight did nothing more than Turtle up his entire 30 second MMA career.

---------------

Does this record not reak of Can crusher? He is getting fed to a 34 yearold who is the 2nd best Heavy of all time and his best hope is to land another hail mary punch out of the blue and finsih Nog, If Greg Jackson's camp hasny tought GSP to throw an overhand most Boxers wouldnt laugh at I dont see Schaub having the boxing to 1 punch KO Nog.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed May 18, 2011 9:56 pm

I just worry about Nog's punch resistance Ben. I think Nog will control the fight but it wouldn't surprise me to see Schaub pull off the fluke like he did against Mirko.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Wed May 18, 2011 11:13 pm

When they enter the ring, Nogueira will not have won a fight for nearly two years. And that win was over Couture, who himself hasn't won a meaningful fight since 2007.

Nogueira was badly declined two years, it'll only be worse now. Not saying he couldn't win, but I can't favour him, inspite of him having more or less the most impressive heavyweight resume.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu May 19, 2011 1:37 am

‘Minotauro’ promises fight of the night at UFC Rio: “I’ll submit (Schaub)”

How was the feeling of being called in to be part of UFC Rio card?

Big Nog - We were waiting for the doctor to say I was good to go. I met him this week, I’ve asked the guys from UFC to wait a little longer (to tell that I’d be fighting in Rio), to check if I would have conditions to do actually do it. The doctor told me I’m ok, asked me to start training and he’ll be side by side with me until the bout, to check how I’m doing. I’m coming back after over a year without fighting, doing my trainings and regaining speed, but I’m feeling fine. I’m not 100% yet. The problem is my conditioning, because I’m completely healed from my injury.

What do you expect off this bout with Brendan Schaub?

Big Nog - I’ll do my homework and watch his bouts. He’s a good boxer, uses the distance, but I’m prepared to strike. I won’t keep trying to take him down all the time. I’ll try to do my best, no matter where things are. I’m not worried about him. I want to be at my best, in a good shape, because I believe in myself. I want to be focused in being in my best shape ever. He’s a tall and thin guy, knows how to deal with the distance, he’s a good wrestler, he punches hard, but I’ll really go for it.

Your greatest motivation is to be fighting in Rio de Janeiro?

Big Nog - Absolutely. I speed things up on my healing process because of this bout. I’ve focused on what I would need so that I could fight in Rio. I’ve never fought in Brazil. It’s a dream come true, fighting where I live, in my home. It’ll be nice, exciting. Representing Brazil will be cool.

Have you noticed any difference on your training, now with no pain coming from your injuries?

Big Nog - I’m more balanced and more explosive. I’m doing my physiotherapy sessions with Angela Cortes, who was pointed out by my doctor. She helped on Gustavo’s (tennis player) healing process and she’s really good. After the injury is completely healed, I’ll keep doing physiotherapy so that I get more stretched. We get hut every day. The truth is that a MMA fighter is always injured. We need to do some stretches here and there. I’m doing it three hours a day, from Monday to Saturday, and I’m faster, more at ease. I used to do it on Sundays too, but I’ve stop a couple of weeks ago. I was doing it like five hours a day.

Will your surgeries make it easier for you to use your Jiu-Jitsu on the guard?

Big Nog - I was fighting injured, I wasn’t doing good at all, I was slow, my leg was heavy, my hip was injured. I couldn’t really explode because I was slow, less agile, less flexible.

Where do you see yourself on this division currently?

Big Nog - I want to be on a good position again. I was last defeated by the champion (Cain Velasquez), who’s been beating everybody down. Many people try to let me down, saying that I’m not that Rodrigo I used to be anymore, but as the bouts go by, I’ll be among the tops again.

Do you believe you can fight for the title again?

Big Nog - If I have the chance, absolutely. But I won’t fight Dos Santos. Other than him, I’ll fight anyone.

Talking about the other bouts scheduled for UFC Rio, do you believe Okami has enough game to defeat Anderson?

Big Nog - He’s a tough guy, strategic, also left-handed, a good wrestler, he’s one of the best to confront Anderson. But he won’t keep it up to that something else that Anderson’s got. Okami will feel Anderson’s coups, because he always uses something you can’t imagine him doing, a surprise coup, one that makes the difference. I believe Okami will be knocked out.

Among the confirmed bouts, which one do you believe that will be the best of the night?

Big Nog - It’ll be mine. I’ll submit him. It’ll be a good bout. He (Schaub) is a warrior. It’ll be a pretty busy fight for the heavyweight division.

What do you hope to see happening in Junior Dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin?

Big Nog - I guess it’s easier for him (Dos Santos). (Brock) Lesnar would take him down. Carwin is strong and likes to strike. It’ll be another exciting bout, but he won’t handle the rhythm that Junior will impose, because he has bad conditioning. Junior is more talented and is also better on the ground too. I like this match up. The guy’s a tough opponent, a tough guy, but he had bad conditioning. I bet Junior will knock him out.

http://www.tatame.com/2011/05/18/Minotauro-promises-fight-of-the-night-at-UFC-Rio-Ill-submit-Schaub
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu May 19, 2011 11:09 am

Man thats great news to hear Nog is healthy again, I do expect a better Nog to show up, Ring rust wont be bad enough to cancell out all the speed and movement he should have. I reckon he will look a lot closer to a 34year old with fixed Legs and hips, he looked like he had the footwork of a 60 year old.

Sun do you not think hearing that interview Surgery will be a bigger plus that Ringrust being a negative?

Anfield I agree the Chin is a big factor but liek I said if he does land the Punch to put him down he is taking a big risk to sping on Nog and try to finish because his groundgame isnt good enough to be on the ground with Nog full stop... and like I said Nog even when he got dropped still seemed to have his head in the game, if Schaub floors him he could jump straight into a triangle or something....

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu May 19, 2011 11:50 pm

Wouldn't read too much into that interview Ben, reminds me of the sort of shit CroCop would say!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:12 am