THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
pinsman
Anfields5thKing
The_Axe_Emperor
redmeanie77
Sheldan
9 posters

Edgar VS Maynard Title Fight Cancelled, Rampage VS Hamill New UFC 130 Main Event

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Edgar VS Maynard Title Fight Cancelled, Rampage VS Hamill New UFC 130 Main Event Empty Edgar VS Maynard Title Fight Cancelled, Rampage VS Hamill New UFC 130 Main Event

Post  Sheldan Mon May 09, 2011 9:26 pm

This month's UFC 130 event has lost its championship headliner.

Due to injuries sustained by both fighters, a lightweight title fight and third bout between champion Frankie Edgar (13-1-1 MMA, 8-1-1 UFC) and Gray Maynard (10-0-1 MMA, 8-0-1 UFC) has been scratched.

UFC officials today announced the change.

UFC 130 takes place May 30 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The night's main card airs on pay-per-view, and Spike TV airs a one-hour "UFC Prelims" special beforehand.

A light-heavyweight bout between Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (31-8 MMA, 6-2 UFC) and Matt Hamill (10-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) has been tapped the new headliner.

Additionally, a welterweight fight between Thiago Alves (18-7 MMA, 10-4 UFC) and Rick Story (12-3 MMA, 5-1 UFC) has been promoted to the main card. That bout, which initially was slated for the "UFC Prelims" special, has been replaced by middleweights Tim Boetsch (12-4 MMA, 3-3 UFC) and Kendall Grove (12-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC) on the Spike TV card.

Edgar and Maynard recently fought in the headliner of UFC 125, where Edgar attempted to defend his belt and avenge the only defeat of his career. Although Maynard jumped out to an early lead with a first-round knockdown, Edgar survived and ultimately took the fight the distance. The bout ended in an anticlimactic draw and prompted officials to book the third meeting.

No reschedule date has been set for the title fight.

The loss of the title fight is a huge hit to the Memorial Day-weekend show, which often are some of the UFC's bigger events.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Edgar VS Maynard Title Fight Cancelled, Rampage VS Hamill New UFC 130 Main Event Empty Re: Edgar VS Maynard Title Fight Cancelled, Rampage VS Hamill New UFC 130 Main Event

Post  redmeanie77 Mon May 09, 2011 10:32 pm

Fuck
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Edgar VS Maynard Title Fight Cancelled, Rampage VS Hamill New UFC 130 Main Event Empty Re: Edgar VS Maynard Title Fight Cancelled, Rampage VS Hamill New UFC 130 Main Event

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon May 09, 2011 11:53 pm

Gutting Sad
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Tue May 10, 2011 12:22 am

Dana White said the fight could still take place in either August or September, i'd either move it to UFC 133 main event, and push Aldo VS Mendes back to the UFC Rio co-main event, Aldo being Brazilian and all that, or put it as September card main event, because that's only got Hughes VS Sanchez set, and that's not a PPV main event.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 10, 2011 12:38 am

Gutted, was looking forward to watching Maynard destroy him for the 3rd time.

Rampage vs Hamill is a very weak main event. Least it means Alves is on the main card!
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Tue May 10, 2011 2:17 am

I wonder if it is simply conincidence that both Edgar and Maynard announced they were injured on the day that Zuffa announced that they will offer insurance to fighters who are injured in training.

UFC 130 has been hit with a huge amount of injuries, only 4 bouts have gone without changes since first being announced.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 10, 2011 4:20 am

Injuries and drug test failures. Was supposed to be Rampage-Silva remember.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Tue May 10, 2011 5:17 am

Yet another exciting ufc event =| when's the next round on the strikeforce GP? Overeem vs werdum could be a possible fight of the year so far!
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Tue May 10, 2011 11:22 am

THey were going to put petis in with maynard but he allegedly picked up an injury
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue May 10, 2011 12:35 pm

A shame the fight got cancelled but the card still looks pretty good even with Edgar vs Maynard III scratched Story vs Alves, Mir vs Nelson and Stann vs Santiago are pretty solid fights.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue May 10, 2011 5:08 pm

I'm just glad that I don't have to pay for it, as I have ESPN. Could you imagine living in the States and having already booked this on PPV? Headline fight Rampage and Hammil???? Embarassed
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue May 10, 2011 7:52 pm

I'm gutted about losing the Edgar - Maynard fight,it's definitely took some gloss off the card.
    I like watching Rampage,but your right,Ramapage - Hammill is hardly a great fight to Headline a card.

I'm still think it will be a good event and I'm looking forward to some of the other fights though.

I've wanted to see the Mir v Nelson fight in the UFC ever since seeing that Grapplers quest video of the two ages ago and I think the Johnson - Torres,Alves - Story,Stann - Santiago should all be good fights.
    Struve vs Browne is an interesting match up too,two huge guys with pretty similar styles.I like Struve,he doesn't usually do boring fights.

I'm not trying to say that this is a card,that at first look,blows you away,especially with the loss of the main event,but to be fair,it's a card that on the main and Spike TV card,you have a former UFC HW champ(Mir),a former LHW champ(Rampage),a former WEC Bantam weight Champ(Torres),the current MW Sengoku champ(Santiago),a former #1 WW contender(Alves) and two TUF winners in Nelson and Grove,so it's not exactly a bad card is it.

Main card
    Quinton Jackson vs Matt Hamill
    Frank Mir vs Roy Nelson
    Thiago Alves vs Rick Story
    Stefan Struve vs Travis Browne
    Brian Stann vs Jorge Santiago

Spike TV
    Tim Boetsch vs Kendall Grove
    Demetrious Johnson vs Miguel Torres

Pre-lims
    Renan Barao vs Cole Escovedo
    Chris Cariaso vs Michael McDonald
    Bart Palaszewski vs Gleison Tibau

I'm actually hoping that they air all three of the pre lims at some stage during the Spike TV broadcast or the PPV.
    I think the Palaszewski - Tibau,Mcdonald - Cariaso and Barao - Escovedo should all be pretty good fights,they would all of made a WEC main card.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed May 11, 2011 1:30 am

I think Struve vs Brown being on the main card over the Torres fight is a stupid move. They're still trying to capture the WEC fanbase and Torres was very popular. And he's a former world champ.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed May 11, 2011 2:17 am

Struve is getting put to sleep in the first round, he's shit, don't know why anybody rates him, he is on a two fight win streak, with the two wins coming against arguably the two weakest heavyweights in the division, the two times he has been in their with top 10 talent, he's been put to sleep in around 90 seconds combined. Struve can't cope with strikers, and Browne is a good striker, Struve is going to sleep.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed May 11, 2011 7:37 am

I think the only reason the Torres fight is not on the main card is just because they want to entice people into buying the PPV by having it free on the Spike TV card.

I'd say that's a little harsh on Struve,and a little bit funny to be bigging up a totally unproven fighter,while knocking a guy who has done more in the sport,has fought a much better standard of fighter,at a higher level and one who has a winning 5-2 record in the UFC,also as for your "Struve can't cope with Strikers",Buentello,Stojnic and Morecraft were all strikers aswell weren't they.

Struves no title contender,but he always comes to fight and never gives up,shit the guys had 25 fights and only been to a decision once,like I say,he's no world beater,but he has all the traits that I like to see in a fighter.

I don't know what fights you have watched of Brownes yet that made you determine he's a great striker.(Don't tell me it was against that beast of a fighter,James McSweeny Laughing )
    I'm not saying I think Browne is a sure thing to lose,like I said,I think this an interesting match up,but come on,he hasn't done anything in the sport to get excited about yet,he hasn't even fought against a good fighter yet,never mind a top 10 fighter.

The best fighter Browne has fought so far is Kongo,who he drew with,and he'd of lost that fight if Kongo hadn't of got the pt deduction for grabbing his shorts,apart from that,he has a winning record against a list of really poor bums.

Here check out his list of victims,there's some serious compitition amongst that lot Wink

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Travis-Browne-16785
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed May 11, 2011 11:16 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:I think Struve vs Brown being on the main card over the Torres fight is a stupid move. They're still trying to capture the WEC fanbase and Torres was very popular. And he's a former world champ.

I think that is the reason Torres is on the Spike portion of the card to show case his talents to a wider US audience (and free) I assume.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed May 11, 2011 11:45 am

Reading back what I wrote I think maybe I was a bit harsh on Struve, I was in a bad mood last night and Struve was the victim of my rant Very Happy .. He does come out and fight yes and credit to him for doing so, and you can't knock the guy for some of his comeback victories with blood pouring from his head, but I just think he's really over rated, and I still think Browne will knock him out.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:23 pm