THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
2brutal
pinsman
superman_punch
ChelseaQuinsfan
Mryzyz
Cowboys From Hell
rudeboyben84
Mannpagejackson
12 posters

Rampage v hamill ufc 130

Mannpagejackson
    Mannpagejackson
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Rampage v hamill ufc 130 Empty Rampage v hamill ufc 130

Post  Mannpagejackson Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:48 pm

Matt hamill on upcoming bout v rampage at 130
    "I know I'm going to break his will€“ I know I'm going to beat Rampage. I've been training real hard and my conditioning and my skills and technique, striking and kicking are a lot better... I think it's my moment and time to shine, so I'm really excited to fight Rampage... I knew that Jon Jones was going to go way up to the top when I fought him. I know he beat me... I made a mistake when he took me down. From now on, it won't happen again. My goal is to get a title shot no matter who the opponent is. So it depends on how the UFC plays the cards"

Of course he thinks he can win, rampage is the highest profile fighter in the ufc who has got very little ability. He is very beatable and the reason people call him out in the first place is because they know that he is the highest ranked fighter who can be beat. That said, i still think rampage will win. Despite his average skills, he has the stand up game, wrestling and knockout power to beat anyone in the division. But matt hamill is impressing no-one calling out rampage, and a win here for hammill will look great on his record but realistically does not prove that he has the game for a title shot.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Rampage v hamill ufc 130 Empty Re: Rampage v hamill ufc 130

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:09 pm

Ive always though Hamill is a poor mans rampage, he has good wrestling probabally technically better than Rampages because Page has pretty much switched to a pure boxing style... He isnt as good a striker and isnt as physically strong. The likelyhood of him outwrestling Jackson is slim to none IMO.

Rampage should have lost to MAchida (who put on a piss poor performance by his standards) and Ive always fancied any good Muay Thai fighter to pick him to peices, Id imagine Vera could give him hell etc..

Hamill has pretty much the same skillset but isnt as pig or powerfull and doesnt pack the same punch. I reckon Rampage to win via KO early in this one.

Its a strange matchup, I reckon we see Rampage vs Shogun rematch if Rampage wins.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:31 pm

I have to say I don't see how Hamill wins this one I can not see him getting Rampage down or out striking him I think Quinton knocks him out early.

You mention Shogun and Vera Ben for me that would be a great fight to make for Shogun's return.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Cowboy From Hell wrote:I have to say I don't see how Hamill wins this one I can not see him getting Rampage down or out striking him I think Quinton knocks him out early.

You mention Shogun and Vera Ben for me that would be a great fight to make for Shogun's return.

Who for Shoguns return? Vera or Rampage? Both would be good fights but Vera would be a huge step down, and Vera is much better than his ranking suggests.... seeing as he beat Couture and all! Wink Vera would be big risk little reward for Shogun, and Id actually see Rampage as an easier fight for him seeing as he has deteriated since joining the wolfslair...

If Not Rampage Shogun needs to rematch Forrest IMO. This loss could be put down to injury if he can get a rematch and give a good showing and prove he can hang with super sized 205ers. If he cant get the job done against Forrest I recoment a cut to 185 which would be a stretch I think, Wandy is making 185 with a walkabout weight about 220, I reckon Shogun isnt any heavier...
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:48 pm

Remember, last time Shogun came back from injury he was shit the first and second fight back.
    Shogun v Bonnar please. Vera could win if Shogun turned up in vs Coleman shape.

Last edited by Mryzyz on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm thinking Vera should be a decent scrap maybe It is a step down but stylistically I think I t could be a great fight or even a rematch with Lil Nog....scratch Vera Lil nog vs Shogun II would be far better. Very Happy

I think Rampage will end up fighting the winner of Bones vs Evans on the end of year card.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Yeah Shogun vs Lil Nog would be brilliant. I reckon Bader or a Mahcida rubbermatch are his other options realistically. I dont see UFC stepping him too far down in competition.

I love the Idea of a Nog rematch though the 1st was a classic and It would be great to see Nog fight someone who wouldnt spend the whole fight shooting on him.

Mryzyz - your right he was shite against Coleman, a really sub par performance, Bonnar would be an easy comeback fight and someone to maby get him used to Guys Bones' size.

I really hope Rampage doesnt get a shot after loosing to Machida and Evans, then Beating Non ranked Hamill. I think they need to firmly establish a propper number 1 contender and not hand a shot to Rampage, Id like Forrest/Shogun/Machida/Rampage to all square off and decide a propper contender for Bones.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:07 pm

UFC needs Fedor at 205! cheers
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:53 pm

I agree beating beating Rampage isn't that impressive nowadays but but if Hammil beats him, he will be very close to a title shot. Dana thinks Rampage beat Machida who is top 5. Rampage is currently top 5, so if Hammil beats him he could very well be one fight away from a title shot. If Hammil wins, I'd have him fight Shogun. If Rampage wins, I assume he'll get a title shot, but realistically he should fight Shogun, who in turn probably needs an easy return fight before that happens. Machida should beat Couture and Bader should retire Ortiz so a fight between those two could make sense.

I'd like to see Lil Nog take on one of the snake, Vera or Cane. He needs a decent opponent but also a win, so it makes sense in my eyes.
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Can see Rampage starting off quickly and finishing the fight via KO relatively fast. Hammil is a poorer version of Bader who moves in slow motion. His punches if you can call them that are slow and not technically great, he just seems to paw his opponent away due to the lack of hand speed he has rather than deliver straight hard jabs. His hands spend most of the time at waist height it's a good job his shorts don't have pockets or he'd probably put them in them.

Rampage will catch him maybe in a clinch ala marvin Eastman and finish from there in my opinion.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:57 pm

No offence to Hammil but how is he getting this fight? He's a middle of the road guy... Rampage just beat Machida.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Rampage all the way for me does anyone see ham mil winning

Love the rematch lil nog and shogun had the best 10 min 1st round I ever saw,

I like Vera maybe he will get bonner

I see rampage bones headlining the same stacked December card as bisping sonnen
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:43 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    I'd like to see Lil Nog take on one of the snake, Vera or Cane. He needs a decent opponent but also a win, so it makes sense in my eyes.

Luiz Cane? Please tell me you saw Nog school him already?? that was one of the favorite debuts ever! Vera vs Lil Nog actually makes sence id like to see it. The Snake would Outstrike him bag but I think a Nog sub would be a cert. Vera vs Nog would make for an absolute war that could go either way.

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Laughing My bad Ben, completely forgot about that! That was one of my favorite KOs as well! Embarassed

Ye either Vera or the Snake. Vera has been in a bit of a slump recently and needs to get a few wins under his belt. Lil Nog isn't exactly a gimme fight. The Snake has been very impressive recently and might need a step up in competition. Lil Nog fits the bill, and it could be a very good fight.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 pm

I think this fight will go a long way as to seeing whether or not Rampage still processes the same boxing ability that he has shown in the past, or whether he will just through wild shots and hope for a flash knock out. Also, to see whether or not his take down defense is at a level to stop Hamill, as he has been a bit hit and miss against wrestlers in the past, being schooled by Rashad, but being able to deal with Hendo's wrestling.

I think Hamill will have a better chance than many are giving him, he's a tough cookie, I think he'll be able to control the fight with wrestling in the first round, but then I think once Rampage settles he'll be able to get the stoppage late in the second or early in the third.

If only Thiago Silva wasn't a mess and we could have seen a stand up war rather than the usual Wrestler VS Boxer Crying or Very sad
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:12 pm

Can't see anything but a Rampage win in this one,unless of coarse Rampage turns up in shocking shape.

Hamill has a good wrestling pedigree but personally I don't think he is explosive enough with his takedowns like Rashad was,to simply rely on getting Rampage down and controlling the fight there,I think Rampage's takedown defence and wrestling ability is easily good enough to stop Hamill's takedown attempts,and when it comes to striking,Rampage is far superior,Hamill's movement seems rigid and he throws more slow,stiff pawing shots,not anything that I think is going to put Rampage in trouble,while Rampage moves well on his feet and throws fast powerful combos.

Hamill can take a good shot,but I'm not sure how many of Rampages he can take,I think the ref stops this fight late in the second or early in the third.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:28 pm

Big yawn.

Rampage got owned by Evans and Machida put on his worst performance and still schooled him. Rampage has been shit since he joined the Wolfslair and will be shit until he leaves.

Matt Hamill belongs on the undercard.

If Rampage wins it proves he can beat up guys ranked between 20 and 30 in the world. If Hamill wins it proves Rampage is done.

Either way who cares? 129 is a better card and it's happening sooner, let's focus on that.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:35 pm

Agreed. We also need a thread for Diaz-Daley for this weekend. Really wish Thiago didnt get caught and he was fighting Rampage still Mad
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:18 am

Agreed. We also need a thread for Diaz-Daley for this weekend. Really wish Thiago didnt get caught and he was fighting Rampage still

You've inspired me Meanie.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:26 pm