THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
redmeanie77
The_Axe_Emperor
manschesthair_utd
ChelseaQuinsfan
8 posters

Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II

Poll

Who will win the LW title?

[ 4 ]
    Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II I_vote_lcap40%Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II I_vote_rcap [40%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II I_vote_lcap30%Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II I_vote_rcap [30%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II I_vote_lcap20%Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II I_vote_rcap [20%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II I_vote_lcap10%Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II I_vote_rcap [10%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II I_vote_lcap0%Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II I_vote_rcap [0%] 

Total Votes: 10
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II Empty Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Strangely I find myself excited for this fight, despite the fact that I think it's going to be a hump fest as Axe would say.

More than anything, I really want Edgar to win. His performances against BJ were both very impressive, especially the second one. For a fighter who really should be at FW, he has had a great career at LW beating the likes of BJ, Sherk, Bocek, Griffin and Miller while only suffering one loss. And while he isn't much of a finisher, he is still relatively exciting and certainly more so than Maynard who has only ever stopped one fight against a can.

Maynard himself is a talented fighter though and has recently become a bit of a trash talker:

For those who haven't see the first fight here it is:

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Gray_Maynard_vs_Frank_Edgar_UFN_13?vid=10000986

Maynard was able to manhandle Edgar using his superior wrestling and size. Mayanrd is a big LW, in the top 5 biggest LWs while Edgar should be at FW. I really can't see much hope for Edgar, I think Maynard is going to get a hold of him and take him down. Then dry hump for 5 minutes. For 25 minutes, thats what I see happening.

Is anyone backing Edgar out there? I really hope he wins, and he still has superior standup, but I just can't see him avoiding Maynard's takedowns. This is a horrible match up style wise for him

I did however rule out Edgar twice against BJ, but honestly even that was a more favorable matchup than Maynard. So far, no one has been able to stop Maynard's take downs and that includes Edgar himself as well as other wrestlers like Jim Miller and Huerta and experienced grapplers like Siver, Clementi, Diaz and KenFlo. It's a hell of a test for Edgar.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II Empty Re: Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard II

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:48 pm

cant say i really care about this matchup at all, sorry chelsea!! tongue

i don't like or dislike either man, i dislike both of their styles, the sooner Pettis neos one of them, the better. afro

I'll vote for Edgar.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Nah I didn't really expect anyone else to be excited about this, I'm not even sure why I am tbh!

I'd hope for Pettis against either of them, but I'm not sure how well he'd do against Maynard.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:07 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Strangely I find myself excited for this fight, despite the fact that I think it's going to be a hump fest as Axe would say.

What, when did i say that? Laughing

I'm actually pretty excited for this too, i don't know why, but i guess its the same as when i get excited for GSP fights knowing they're gonna go to a decision. I suppose the fact its a title fight makes it more important too.

I'm backing Edgar in this, i think he'll use his speed and pick the sloppy Maynard apart.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:26 pm

Im very excited about this fight, and im picking Frankie to win, probably by decision.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:37 pm

You said it when you were referring to what Fitch and GSP would do to Alves I think. I remember you specifically using that term and I thought it was brilliant.

Watching there first fight again, it's clear that Edgar gassed in the third round, and that's really when Maynard dominated him. The first two rounds were close and Edgar could have even snatched the second one. But while Edgar has brilliant conditioning, your going to get tired when your stuffing or trying take downs against a much bigger man who has better wrestling.

Edgar should at all costs try and avoid turning this into a wrestling contest, other wise he will get dominated. If he works on keeping the fight standing, then he has a chance.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:46 pm

Edgar can't move whilst Maynard is laying on top of him.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:47 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:
    IHateTheManBelow wrote:Koscheck outwrestled GSP until his eye closed. GSP was good, never tried to finish the fight though. Never landed more than 2 shots before moving away. Really disappointed with Kos, he proved in the first round that he was the better wrestler and should have tried to turn it in to a wrestling match. GSP gave him a lesson in how to use the jab in MMA.

McCorkle has no business in with anyone decent. AWFUL.

Alves was immense. He looked so much better than he has before in the UFC. He was ripped rather than bulky and it made him quicker. Was really impressed with his takedowns and his striking looked really crisp. That Thiago can beat anyone. He needs to be more disciplined in all aspects. Mike Dolce could be the best thing that's ever happened to his career.

Disagree that that Thiago can beat anyone. That Thiago can beat anyone willing to stand and trade, or anyone who can't get the fight to the deck (eg Kos), but against GSP, Fitch and Shields he'll just be taken down and shagged en route to a decision. He is the perfect fighter for the Strikeforce WW's as they are all bangers. He'll never be a champ in the UFC, simply because of the stylistic matchups.

Sure that wasn't it?

You're right, as good a wrestler as Frank is he'll always get outwrestled by Maynard simply because of his size. I think his cardios improbed significantly since their first fight but he should be under no illusions, he has to keep it standing and do what he did to BJ.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:56 am

"Edgar...........probably by decision".

When you show no interest in engaging and just try to hit and then sprint around the octagon you are never going to win any other way.

Maynard is going to pick him up, slam him down and beat him him.

First fight wasn't even close, Maynard's a much better fighter than he was then. Edgar's gotten quicker due to all the sprinting practice he seems to have been doing. Maynard by TKO in the 4th.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:58 pm

Sure that wasn't it?

You're right, as good a wrestler as Frank is he'll always get outwrestled by Maynard simply because of his size. I think his cardios improbed significantly since their first fight but he should be under no illusions, he has to keep it standing and do what he did to BJ.

No I specifically remember someone using the term hump fest. I know you referred to Fitch and Shields as the "humpers" but come to think of it, it might have been some else who said hump fest, possibly Anfield.

Anfield do you think Maynard can finish Edgar? He isn't much of a finisher, with one finish in 10 fights. That's Mckee level right there. He has some power, but I'd give the edge to Edgar standing so I don't think he'll catch him.

Also I think the first fight was reasonably close. Back then Maynard had the advantage standing as well, know Edgar does IMO. I thought the first two rounds were quite close and then in the third round, Edgar gassed and Maynard ran away with it.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:06 pm

I cant remember the 1st fight, id have to watch it again before I vote. Reckon if Maynard controlled him on the ground easily enough in that one he will do it again unfortunatley!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:40 pm

If Maynard puts Edgar on his back and punches him in the face the way he did in their last fight, it won't reach the final round IMO.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:13 pm

i think it will be much closer than the first fight but with the same result hope im wrong though i like Frankie

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:11 am