THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
efils_god
ChelseaQuinsfan
Mannpagejackson
superman_punch
Sheldan
The_Axe_Emperor
Anfields5thKing
11 posters

Does GSP have to fight Nick Diaz for the sake of his legacy?

Poll

Does GSP need to beat Diaz to restore his legacy?

[ 1 ]
    Does GSP have to fight Nick Diaz for the sake of his legacy? I_vote_lcap14%Does GSP have to fight Nick Diaz for the sake of his legacy? I_vote_rcap [14%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Does GSP have to fight Nick Diaz for the sake of his legacy? I_vote_lcap43%Does GSP have to fight Nick Diaz for the sake of his legacy? I_vote_rcap [43%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Does GSP have to fight Nick Diaz for the sake of his legacy? I_vote_lcap43%Does GSP have to fight Nick Diaz for the sake of his legacy? I_vote_rcap [43%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Does GSP have to fight Nick Diaz for the sake of his legacy? I_vote_lcap0%Does GSP have to fight Nick Diaz for the sake of his legacy? I_vote_rcap [0%] 

Total Votes: 7
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Does GSP have to fight Nick Diaz for the sake of his legacy? Empty Does GSP have to fight Nick Diaz for the sake of his legacy?

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 03, 2011 12:43 am

As we all know GSP has failed to impress in his last 3 fights and failed to finish anyone in the last 4 years. It's very clear that since he was KO'd by Matt Serra he's a different fighter than he was. A much safer and less exciting fight. Other than his ass kicking of Serra and beatdown of Matt Hughes he really hasn't gone into a fight looking to finish. He did give John Fitch a beating but was never close to stopping him. His dryhumping of Alves and BJ were impressive but not inspiring, he was poor against Hardy and failed to submit him despite two easy submission opportunities which were given to him, his jab and jog tactics against Koscheck impressed nobody and his fight with Shields will go down as one of the worst title fights ever to not involve Tim Sylvia.

On the other side of the MMA divide we have Nick Diaz, who has impressed everyone in his last fights and with the exception of the questionable stoppage loss to Noons, hasn't been beaten since Sean Sherk use some lay and pray to beat him in 2006. Obviously he's not been fighting as high a level of competition as GSP but the way he has beaten everyone that's been put in front of him has to have impressed.

Dana White was quoted as saying he was going to Stockton this week to talk to Diaz to try and make the fight with GSP, GSP's head trainer has said he thinks GSP needs to beat Diaz to fully clean out the division before moving up, and now Diaz himself has called for the fight:

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/5/2/2149739/nick-diaz-let-me-get-in-there-and-fight-georges-st-pierre-video

(Diaz comes off really well in this interview in my opinion)

Diaz doesn't have boring fights and he will make GSP fight him. There will be no jab and jog because Diaz has much better boxing, a great chin, great stamina and an incredible desire. If it goes to the ground Diaz will be just as comfortable because his BJJ is of such a high standard. GSP would obviously go in as the bookmakers favourite but for my money, it would be the toughest fight of his career. GSP would have to go for the kill, because if he doesn't Diaz will wear him down. Does GSP need this fight to cement his legacy and lose the tag of "boring"?

Last edited by Anfields5thKing on Tue May 03, 2011 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Does GSP have to fight Nick Diaz for the sake of his legacy? Empty Re: Does GSP have to fight Nick Diaz for the sake of his legacy?

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue May 03, 2011 12:47 am

Who gives a shit if his fights are boring or if he doesn't finish fights? He wins and in any sport that is all that matters. GSP doesn't need to fight anyone to secure his legacy, it already is secure.

Diaz needs to fight GSP more than GSP needs to fight Diaz.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Does GSP have to fight Nick Diaz for the sake of his legacy? Empty Re: Does GSP have to fight Nick Diaz for the sake of his legacy?

Post  Sheldan Tue May 03, 2011 12:53 am

I don't think so, GSP has already established his legacy as one of the best, sadly since the Matt Serra fight he hasn't been the same GSP that we once knew, but I don't think a fight with Diaz would be needed to solidify his place. If GSP was to face Nick Diaz, I see the only way GSP winning is by grinding out a decision with a combination between jab work, staying away from Diaz, and the odd takedown, hardly a performance like that would warrent him only then being deemed as having a legacy, especially against a guy like Diaz who has not done much at welterweight to earn himself the right to be the man to decide whether or not GSP has a legacy as an all time great, if those still doubt that, then the only man who is left who could possibly change that is Anderson Silva.

Do I want to see GSP face Diaz? Yes and no, no because I think GSP would win using the strategy I said earlier, and yes because with Nick Diaz he's never in a fight that isn't exciting, and he is the only guy in the 170 pound division who has the tools to trouble GSP, good stand up, good BJJ, it's all there to give GSP real problems, whether or not GSP allows him to use those skills though are a different story.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 03, 2011 12:59 am

Well 55,000 of his own fans gave a shit when they booed him. The hundreds of thousands of people who pay to watch his fights give a shit. The thousands and thousands of people who have slated him on forums across the internet give a shit. And Dana will give a shit when his numbers drop.

This is a fight, not just a normal sport. Winning the way he wins is the equivalent of catennacio. Look at the Inter Milan team that won 2 European Cups, they are not considered a great team. They are considered spoilers and not talked about with the greats. The greek team that won Euro 2004 is not held in any esteem because of how they played and how they won.

Look at boxing. There's been a number of fighters who won world titles and loads of fights but don't get talked about among the greats because of their styles and their reluctance to take any chances.

How do you figure Diaz needs the fight more? Diaz has far more options than GSP. He can go do pro boxing, he can move to MW in SF, stay at WW in SF, go to the UFC and fight a whole list of people at WW or MW. GSP has 3 options, get knocked unconscious by Anderson Silva, get an ass kicking by Chael Sonnen, or a fight with Diaz.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 03, 2011 1:03 am

Sheldan wrote:I don't think so, GSP has already established his legacy as one of the best, sadly since the Matt Serra fight he hasn't been the same GSP that we once knew, but I don't think a fight with Diaz would be needed to solidify his place. If GSP was to face Nick Diaz, I see the only way GSP winning is by grinding out a decision with a combination between jab work, staying away from Diaz, and the odd takedown, hardly a performance like that would warrent him only then being deemed as having a legacy, especially against a guy like Diaz who has not done much at welterweight to earn himself the right to be the man to decide whether or not GSP has a legacy as an all time great, if those still doubt that, then the only man who is left who could possibly change that is Anderson Silva.

Do I want to see GSP face Diaz? Yes and no, no because I think GSP would win using the strategy I said earlier, and yes because with Nick Diaz he's never in a fight that isn't exciting, and he is the only guy in the 170 pound division who has the tools to trouble GSP, good stand up, good BJJ, it's all there to give GSP real problems, whether or not GSP allows him to use those skills though are a different story.

I partially agree with you, I think that GSP will come in and try to jab and jog.

But when that fails because he's in with a superior striker with better reach, he's going to have to try something else. Does he really want to sit in Nick Diaz's guard? I doubt it. He had no interest in being in Jake Shields. I think GSP would have to go all out, throw caution to the wind and fight Diaz in the centre of the cage. He'll have to bring out the full arsenal and use his explosiveness and speed to try and beat Diaz.

GSP doesn't just want to be an all-time great. He wants to be the very best MMA fighter there has ever been. He will never become that by dryhumping and jabbing and jogging. Getting his ass handed to him by Anderson Silva will do nothing for his legacy.
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Tue May 03, 2011 1:08 am

I agree. Diaz needs GSP more than GSP needs Diaz.

He's in a very similar position to Anderson was going into the Chael Sonnen fight. Anderson looked far from impressive against Cote, Leites and Maia and was beginning to get heat for his performances in the cage.

I think a lot of the frustration with GSP is that he's becoming almost one dimensional. When he started out his career he was throwing caution to the wind and was a far more exciting fighter but in order to become dominant like he is he's playing to his biggest strength and so far no one has even come close to defeating him. This has made him a legend, not massively exciting but hugely successful.

GSP was rightfully so complaining about his eye and not been able to see out so this has to take some of the emphasis off his performance, after all Jake should have sensed he wasn't right and attacked but he didn't. Matt Serra didn't hold back when his opportunity arose and this is when GSP is most vulnerable, when he's hurt. I don't think Georges reacts well when hurt. He was like bambi on ice when Serra hurt him, some fighters are at there most dangerous when hurt but GSP is at the other end of the spectrum.

Mannpagejackson
    Mannpagejackson
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Mannpagejackson Tue May 03, 2011 1:27 am

I think we all know that he doesnt have to, but Performances like that can really hurt the sport. A viewer who is new to the sport or casual fan may of been lured into buying the ppv or watching on espn. Especially when hearing that a dominant force, a multi-year world champion was fighting an up and coming wanna be fighter with nothing to loose (not that shields is an up and coming youngster, but the ufc commercials painted him in this light). But a performance like that from an all time great (and gsp will undoubtadly go down as that) is going to destroy his reputation with the nutral. The ufc brands itself as one of the fastest growing most exciting sports in the world and a performance like that from a landmark fighter is appauling. And, not his first bad fight as already has been mentioned.

If gsp does not fight diaz, does he ruin his legacy, no! Of course not but He leaves the last chance for anyone who doubts him as the best in his weight class, and after his recent performances, the 1 thing gsp has is the list of fighters who he has beat. If he adds diaz, (if he can) he not only cements his legacy, he does so by saying "i am the champ and i beat everyone i could." no excuses! It does not leave it open for debate (ala mayweather and manny). And if he then has 1 go at the spider - win, lose or draw, He has left himself a Legacy that will never be questioned, doubted or forgotten.

Last edited by Mannpagejackson on Tue May 03, 2011 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 03, 2011 1:30 am

superman_punch wrote:I agree. Diaz needs GSP more than GSP needs Diaz.

He's in a very similar position to Anderson was going into the Chael Sonnen fight. Anderson looked far from impressive against Cote, Leites and Maia and was beginning to get heat for his performances in the cage.

I'm confused as to whether you've got the first sentence backways because the second bit would indicate you agree that GSP needs Diaz more.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 03, 2011 1:59 am

I think I need to define what I mean by legacy. GSP is going to go down as a great and dominant fighter, even if he quits tomorrow. But at the moment he will also go down as a boring fighter. Is that the legacy he wants to leave? A fighter who was scared to take risks and who beat his opponents by smothering them. Or does he want to go down like Fedor and Anderson will as guys who took risks but just comprehensively dispatched everyone put in front of him, if not more so.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue May 03, 2011 3:02 am

If you mean his legacy as an exciting fighter, then I agree that hasn't been secured at all. However as a great fighter it already has, no one has beaten and dominated more top 10 fighters in there career than GSP. While he was boring against the likes of Alves, Hardy, Kos and Shields, he comprehensively beat them. He beat the first 3 5-0 in the scorecard and didn't lose a round against Shields IMO. No one has been as dominant as GSP, even though he hasn't finished his opponents. So his legacy as one of the best of all time is secure. Not even Fedor or Silva have dominated opponents as easily as GSP has. They finished fights a lot more (the level of competion in general was also significantly lower than GSPs) but both have been in big trouble over the years.

In terms of being an exciting fighter, he needs to do one thing, and it's nothing to do with Diaz. That is to finish fights with sick striking, good Gnp and slick submissions like he used to in the past. He needs to lose the fear he has had since the Serra loss. The GSP of old would have stopped Shields after he dropped him with that kick.

Diaz needs to fight GSP when it comes to securing his own legacy. Diaz has not done anything to suggest he is on GSP's level and has fought no where near the level of competition. I think DIaz needs to win at least one fight against a top guy like Fitch before he gets a chance at GSP. I would pick Fitch honestly.

If GSP moved up to 185 and beat Silva, he would probably go down as the greatest of all time. If he beats Diaz, it's just another top 10 win in a long list since 2007. Beating Diaz wouldn't be more impressive than beating Fitch, Alves, BJ, Hughes or SHields based on there positions at the time.

If Diaz beat GSP, he would become the best WW in the world and a top 3 P4P fighter.

Very clear who needs to fight who more IMO.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 03, 2011 6:28 am

Diaz could walk away from MMA tomorrow and go and compete at a high level in boxing. He could go and become a BJJ world champion. He has 2 divisions in 2 MMA organizations he can compete in. He has far more options than GSP. I don't think he needs the fight at all. Diaz has no ambitions to be the best ever. GSP does. Diaz will go down as an exciting fighter, that's his legacy in MMA. GSP right now will go down as a bore who won fights by spoiling. For me, GSP needs this fight more because of how he wants to be viewed when he quits.

GSP would never have stopped Shields, you should just stop with that garbage. The headkick dropped him but Shields was not close to being in a position to be finished. Hendo half killed him with a right hand, has much better GnP than GSP and couldn't finish him.

The people GSP finished with "sick striking", "good GnP" and "slick submissions", were not very good with the exception of Hughes who was based it when GSP fought him the 3rd time and Serra who was injured and never all that good to begin with, Sean Sherk who's a LW and Frank Trigg who again, was never good. All the rest were cans. Oh and Jay Hieron who's one of the most over-rated fighters in the world. When GSP has faced top competition he has not finished in their prime he has not come close to finishing them, other than Hughes who he went 1-1 with when Hughes was still relevant. GSP's striking is incredibly over-rated. He has a good jab, a good left hook that he rarely uses, some fancy kicks that he telegraphs and doesn't execute properly and that's about it standing. He lacks power, his right hand might as well be none existent(those overhand rights were frankly embarrassing, windmill punches) His submission game is pretty poor. He has a good rear naked when it's presented but as far as arms and legs go, he's frankly quit awful. Anyone that knows how to defend a submission has no issues on the ground. Hardy gave him two submissions and he could finish. His black belt in BJJ is only useful for holding up his trousers. Again, good fighters in their prime have no fears of being finished by GSP and haven't had for 4 years. His takedowns are very very good, his top control is good because he's bigger and heavier than most of his opponents(his overall wrestling is not all that). That jab is quick and accurate. But other than that he relies on his speed, his cardio and his coaches ability to put together the safest possible gameplan. He's becoming a fancier version of Matt Lindland. That's probably unfair to Lindland who at least has heart and no fear. I heard GSP described as "an athlete and a martial artist but not a fighter" the other day and I think that's the perfect description.

I also take issue with the phrase "dominated". Jabbing and running, and laying and praying are not dominating. GSP has comfortably beaten a lot of guys, he's only dominated a few. Most of his opponents walk away without a scratch on them. He dominated Fitch for example, but Shields, Alves and Hardy walked away looking like they'd just warmed up for a fight rather than being in one. Koscheck's eye was messed up from the broken orbital bone but he had no other damage and orbital bones break easy. Actually, the Fitch fight was the last time GSP looked really impressive and actually gave someone a beating.

If GSP goes up to 185 there's a couple of guys I think would beat him, Anderson and Sonnen are pretty obvious. Okami could certainly grind him for 3 rounds and beat him. I would say Vitor has the power to KO him but GSP would dryhump him to death.

If GSP did somehow manage to beat Anderson it would still leave him second behind Fedor IMO. Getting knocked out by a fat LW hurts GSP's argument as the best ever. There's also the HGH rumours which if they continue to grow will harm his legacy.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue May 03, 2011 9:26 am

I agree GSP needs the fight more than Diaz, who is clearly not motivated in the same way GSP is (ie. as going down as the best ever etc etc). I don't think GSP can go down as the best ever if he continues the way he is going, even if he beats all comers.

He'll be one of the best, but someone who never takes the risks required to finish a fight, and that's what you need to have the popularity required to be thought of as the best ever. Look at Fedor, he took risks and finished guys bigger than him for fun.

GSP-Diaz is a fight i'd love to see though. I agree Diaz would get the better of it on the feet, it'd be interesting to see where GSP took the fight, as on the ground Diaz is very active off his back. Could GSP survive 25 minutes like that?

I think it would in any case be alot more interesting that GSPs last few fights.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue May 03, 2011 1:44 pm

UFC needs the fight more than GSP or Diaz. There isnt anything left at 170 but rematches for GSP. Diaz will make him fight, Shields said he would but he just froze as we have seem overmatched fighters do before.

Diaz dominates him on the feet and has a good chance of subbing him off his back seeing as GSP's plan would likely be to take him down and stall for 25mins.

GSP will have to go to Mw if Diaz fight isnt available and I dont think he wants to. He already is going down as one of the greats so he doesnt need the fight for his legacy but he needs it for a fresh fight at 170 and UFC need it big time....

Im backing Diaz to school him boxing then sub him when GSP takes him down if it happens. I really hope it does. There arent any good fights for either champ in SF or UFC
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue May 03, 2011 3:47 pm

Diaz as already stated needs this fight more than GSP sure there is Woodley and Wilcox but those fights do nothing for Diaz although GSP does not needs this fight as stated this is the Fight Zuffa need ATM.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Tue May 03, 2011 6:42 pm

Brave call Ben I know you know your mma but I think you will be proved wrong, gsp will stand for a bit he has kicks as part of his weaponry is boxing is not on diaz level, rekon gsp will risk taking him down for the last 2 or 1 minutes in each round, I hope it gets made gsp needs it big time IMO he did not do anything for hisself the other night, hope dana has a good chat with Nick and finds away to make the fight happen, gsp will go down as an all time great but a win over Diaz even a boring one and everyone other than Ben askren will agree he has nothing left to prove at 170 he doesn't want to fight Anderson or step up shame, although don't abuse him for it for some bizarre reason Anderson is very reluctant to step up to 205 which is crazy when you consider how good he looked the 2 times he stepped up,
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 03, 2011 8:05 pm

Cowboy From Hell wrote:Diaz as already stated needs this fight more than GSP sure there is Woodley and Wilcox but those fights do nothing for Diaz although GSP does not needs this fight as stated this is the Fight Zuffa need ATM.

Sorry, but how on earth does Diaz need this fight more??

Again, options for Diaz:

1) Pro Boxing
    2) Ju-Jitsu tournaments and focus on his school
    3) WW at SF
    4) MW at SF
    5) About 7 potential fights at WW in the UFC
    6) MW in the UFC

Options for GSP:

1) Diaz
    2) Anderson Silva
    3) Chael Sonnen

2 out of those 3 involve GSP getting his asskicked. The other is Diaz who I think would beat him as well. Diaz has FAR more options than GSP because Diaz hasn't backed himself into a corner with the "I want to be the best ever" nonsense.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 03, 2011 8:08 pm

2brutal wrote:Brave call Ben I know you know your mma but I think you will be proved wrong, gsp will stand for a bit he has kicks as part of his weaponry is boxing is not on diaz level, rekon gsp will risk taking him down for the last 2 or 1 minutes in each round, I hope it gets made gsp needs it big time IMO he did not do anything for hisself the other night, hope dana has a good chat with Nick and finds away to make the fight happen, gsp will go down as an all time great but a win over Diaz even a boring one and everyone other than Ben askren will agree he has nothing left to prove at 170 he doesn't want to fight Anderson or step up shame, although don't abuse him for it for some bizarre reason Anderson is very reluctant to step up to 205 which is crazy when you consider how good he looked the 2 times he stepped up,

GSP's kicks are garbage. Flashy but not effective. If he stands with Diaz for 3-4 minutes of each round he's getting knocked out. Takedown, stand back up and run away, takedown, stand back up and run away. that'll be GSP's gameplan against Diaz. And i don't think it will work.

Anderson is reluctant to go to 205 because he doesn't want to fight Machida and he knows if either of them had the belt they might have to fight. Plus Anderson is coming to the end of his career. GSP is in his prime.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Tue May 03, 2011 8:35 pm

I thought that might be the reason they both have Ed soares as well
    Hope they make the gsp Diaz fight
    Not sure the sonnen fight is that cut and dry I'd back gsp interested to see who the rest of the forum would pick
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue May 03, 2011 9:47 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Who gives a shit if his fights are boring or if he doesn't finish fights? He wins and in any sport that is all that matters. GSP doesn't need to fight anyone to secure his legacy, it already is secure.

Diaz needs to fight GSP more than GSP needs to fight Diaz.

MMA is a professional sport, winning is FAR from the only thing that matters!!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue May 03, 2011 10:05 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Diaz could walk away from MMA tomorrow and go and compete at a high level in boxing. He could go and become a BJJ world champion. He has 2 divisions in 2 MMA organizations he can compete in. He has far more options than GSP. I don't think he needs the fight at all. Diaz has no ambitions to be the best ever. GSP does. Diaz will go down as an exciting fighter, that's his legacy in MMA. GSP right now will go down as a bore who won fights by spoiling. For me, GSP needs this fight more because of how he wants to be viewed when he quits.

GSP would never have stopped Shields, you should just stop with that garbage. The headkick dropped him but Shields was not close to being in a position to be finished. Hendo half killed him with a right hand, has much better GnP than GSP and couldn't finish him.

The people GSP finished with "sick striking", "good GnP" and "slick submissions", were not very good with the exception of Hughes who was based it when GSP fought him the 3rd time and Serra who was injured and never all that good to begin with, Sean Sherk who's a LW and Frank Trigg who again, was never good. All the rest were cans. Oh and Jay Hieron who's one of the most over-rated fighters in the world. When GSP has faced top competition he has not finished in their prime he has not come close to finishing them, other than Hughes who he went 1-1 with when Hughes was still relevant. GSP's striking is incredibly over-rated. He has a good jab, a good left hook that he rarely uses, some fancy kicks that he telegraphs and doesn't execute properly and that's about it standing. He lacks power, his right hand might as well be none existent(those overhand rights were frankly embarrassing, windmill punches) His submission game is pretty poor. He has a good rear naked when it's presented but as far as arms and legs go, he's frankly quit awful. Anyone that knows how to defend a submission has no issues on the ground. Hardy gave him two submissions and he could finish. His black belt in BJJ is only useful for holding up his trousers. Again, good fighters in their prime have no fears of being finished by GSP and haven't had for 4 years. His takedowns are very very good, his top control is good because he's bigger and heavier than most of his opponents(his overall wrestling is not all that). That jab is quick and accurate. But other than that he relies on his speed, his cardio and his coaches ability to put together the safest possible gameplan. He's becoming a fancier version of Matt Lindland. That's probably unfair to Lindland who at least has heart and no fear. I heard GSP described as "an athlete and a martial artist but not a fighter" the other day and I think that's the perfect description.

I also take issue with the phrase "dominated". Jabbing and running, and laying and praying are not dominating. GSP has comfortably beaten a lot of guys, he's only dominated a few. Most of his opponents walk away without a scratch on them. He dominated Fitch for example, but Shields, Alves and Hardy walked away looking like they'd just warmed up for a fight rather than being in one. Koscheck's eye was messed up from the broken orbital bone but he had no other damage and orbital bones break easy. Actually, the Fitch fight was the last time GSP looked really impressive and actually gave someone a beating.

If GSP goes up to 185 there's a couple of guys I think would beat him, Anderson and Sonnen are pretty obvious. Okami could certainly grind him for 3 rounds and beat him. I would say Vitor has the power to KO him but GSP would dryhump him to death.

If GSP did somehow manage to beat Anderson it would still leave him second behind Fedor IMO. Getting knocked out by a fat LW hurts GSP's argument as the best ever. There's also the HGH rumours which if they continue to grow will harm his legacy.

So GSP's legacy depends on him beating Diaz? Lol, as I said earlier GSP's legacy has nothing to do with Diaz, it's how he beats his opponents. He needs to start finishing opponents, beating Diaz proves absolutley nothing. Beating Diaz would rank less impressive than beating SHields, Kos 2x, Alves, BJ 2x, HUghes 2x, Fitch. So why exactly does GSP have to beat Diaz? He's already the best WW right now by far, the best WW of all time and a top 3 P4P fighter. And he needs to beat a guy who just got a top 10 win at WW for the first time in years? Can not understand that at all I'm afraid.

If GSP followed up and landed a couple of strikes, the ref would have stopped it. He wouldn't have KOed Shields, but he would have TKoed him, quite obvious.

The people you mentioned are good fighters. Sherk, Serra, Hughes 2x are all former champions. Trigg and Hieron are okay.

Hughes 2x
    Serra
    BJ 2x
    Fitch
    Alves
    Mayhem
    Shields
    Kos 2x
    Hardy
    Parysian
    Sherk
    Trigg
    Heiron

Not a bad list for a guy who supposedly has all these faults in his game.

He hasn't lost a round since 2007, and since then no fighter has been able to take a round off him. I think thats a pretty dominant champion. He dominated ALves and BJ in parts of the fight (Alves 2nd round, BJ 2-4th rounds)

All those guys are far bigger than him, there expected to beat him. If he beat Silva there would be no doubt he would be the greatest fighter of all time even ahead of Fedor. GSP's list of wins would be far better than Fedor's. Getting caught once at the age of 25 on a bad night does not define a legacy. We've seen how Fedor has been in the last couple of fights. I could just as easily say, the greatest fighter of all time should not have suffered the utter and total dismantling he suffered at the hands of Big Foot. At least prime GSP never fought cans either like Fedor did.

Diaz has done nothing to suggest he deserves GSP. The fight would be quite simple for GSP, he would take Diaz down over and over again and keep top position. I'd like to see Diaz fight Fitch first who I seriously doubt he could beat. Fitch would take him down for three rounds and hump him the entire 15 mins winning an easy 30-27 UD. Let's see Diaz beat one of Kos, Alves, BJ or Sanchez before we even talk about GSP. Shields had to fight someone before he got his shot and he has had a much better legacy than Diaz ever will have.

Just because Diaz can go to boxing or BJJ doesn't mean GSP needs to fight Diaz more. GSP has talked about wrestling at the Olympics before so he could go and try that if he really was left with no one. GSP beating Diaz would not make GSP the greatest of all time, it would be his 6th or 7th most impressive win in terms of the quality of the opponent. Diaz would be "just another big name". It wouldn't rank with GSP's wins over Hughes or Silva's win over Griffin or Fedor's win over Cro Cop. GSP beating Diaz would be talked about the same as Silva's win over Cote and Fedor's win over Mark Hunt.

The only good thing to come out of fighting Diaz for GSP would it would increase his title win streak and keep him in touch with Silva.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue May 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Oh and I do think your criticisms of him are fair to a degree so just to be clear, that's not what I'm disagreeing with you about.

As for the HGH thing, it would be a real shame if that were the case, I would probably cry. I haven't heard anything about these rumors except from BJ's asshole of a brother. Rumors like this always suffice, Hendo is another who was rumored to be taking them. But I do find it funny how the likes of Barnett, Coleman and Wandi can escape this when it comes to there legacy. For the most part Barnett has been shat on only after being caught a third time, but the other two get off scoff free. From a lot of people here, Barnett is given the benefit of the doubt. No one has ever used the steroids excuse as a reason as to why Wandi isn't the best LHW of all time.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue May 03, 2011 10:21 pm

2brutal wrote:Brave call Ben I know you know your mma but I think you will be proved wrong, gsp will stand for a bit he has kicks as part of his weaponry is boxing is not on diaz level, rekon gsp will risk taking him down for the last 2 or 1 minutes in each round, I hope it gets made gsp needs it big time IMO he did not do anything for hisself the other night, hope dana has a good chat with Nick and finds away to make the fight happen, gsp will go down as an all time great but a win over Diaz even a boring one and everyone other than Ben askren will agree he has nothing left to prove at 170 he doesn't want to fight Anderson or step up shame, although don't abuse him for it for some bizarre reason Anderson is very reluctant to step up to 205 which is crazy when you consider how good he looked the 2 times he stepped up,

I reckon Diaz bests GSP because,

1. He is more likely to KO him
    2. He is more likely tu sub him
    3. GSP's game is to win a 25 min decision over a fighter with endless stamina who may win rounds on standup.

Remember Shields was able to land on him on the feet and bust him up, Shields isnt even a passible striking sparing partner for Diaz. I actually see him KO'ing him not subbing him. GSP's legkicks will leave him open and those superman jabs when punching up against an upright figher wont be half as effective.
    -----------------------------------------------

Anfield why all the talk of Sonnen. I reckon he beats GSP, is that why your calling it or do you think theres a chance of it? They may start him with a lower guy like Belfort if he isnt in the title mix but I think he walks straight into a title fight at 185 because of all the talk of it.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue May 03, 2011 10:25 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Oh and I do think your criticisms of him are fair to a degree so just to be clear, that's not what I'm disagreeing with you about.

As for the HGH thing, it would be a real shame if that were the case, I would probably cry. I haven't heard anything about these rumors except from BJ's asshole of a brother. Rumors like this always suffice, Hendo is another who was rumored to be taking them. But I do find it funny how the likes of Barnett, Coleman and Wandi can escape this when it comes to there legacy. For the most part Barnett has been shat on only after being caught a third time, but the other two get off scoff free. From a lot of people here, Barnett is given the benefit of the doubt. No one has ever used the steroids excuse as a reason as to why Wandi isn't the best LHW of all time.

I didnt hear a rumor Wand was juicing. Did you?

Its just said that people think a lot of pride guys where doing it. He has never pissed hot and no way has used them when in the US. If he did it before he did when they were legal in japan.

Doesnt bother me who juices, Hendo did get Hormone replacement and I think so did Couture. All you need is a few months where you wont be tested. Holyfield did it in boxing. Id be shocked if Hopkins isnt doing it too.

Goodridge said he would guess half fighters are at something, Nate was caught red handed and its never made you dislike him.

I dont care if GSP is on all the drugs of the day, he is one of the hardest working fighter in MMA training wise and has put the work in to get to the top.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue May 03, 2011 10:29 pm

I reckon Diaz bests GSP because,

1. He is more likely to KO him
    2. He is more likely tu sub him
    3. GSP's game is to win a 25 min decision over a fighter with endless stamina who may win rounds on standup.

Remember Shields was able to land on him on the feet and bust him up, Shields isnt even a passible striking sparing partner for Diaz. I actually see him KO'ing him not subbing him. GSP's legkicks will leave him open and those superman jabs when punching up against an upright figher wont be half as effective.

GSP kept the fight standing against Shields though. He took him down twice very easily and could have taken him down more if he wanted, but the easiest way for GSP to win that fight, was to stand with him. Against Diaz, he would fight like he fought against Alves except he would probably stand up more often. GSP would have no problems taking Diaz down.

Diaz is quite poor when it comes to defensive striking. He leaves his chin open and has been dropped several times in his career. Noons had an absolute field day in the first fight and even in the second fight he landed some huge shots. Noons won the 2nd round more convincingly than Diaz won any round. Not saying GSP would outstrike Diaz, but he does leave himself open to a big high kick or a superman punch.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue May 03, 2011 10:35 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Oh and I do think your criticisms of him are fair to a degree so just to be clear, that's not what I'm disagreeing with you about.

I didnt hear a rumor Wand was juicing. Did you?

Its just said that people think a lot of pride guys where doing it. He has never pissed hot and no way has used them when in the US. If he did it before he did when they were legal in japan.

Doesnt bother me who juices, Hendo did get Hormone replacement and I think so did Couture. All you need is a few months where you wont be tested. Holyfield did it in boxing. Id be shocked if Hopkins isnt doing it too.

Goodridge said he would guess half fighters are at something, Nate was caught red handed and its never made you dislike him.

I dont care if GSP is on all the drugs of the day, he is one of the hardest working fighter in MMA training wise and has put the work in to get to the top.

No I meant he used them in Japan. Ye I know they were legal. There's pictures of Wandie where he looks about 300 pounds. I'd be very surprised if he used them in the US though. To be fair Ben, you've never had an issue with fighters juicing so this doesn't really apply to and who knows how many fighters in combat sport are on some kind of drug. I've heard of both Hendo and Couture using it, but I think they got the permission needed. I don't mind juicing that much if it happens once, but it does piss me off when some one like Sherk is blatantly cheating.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:18 am