THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
Cowboys From Hell
Mryzyz
ryu_ekbjj
7 posters

Nick Diaz looking to cash in on boxing

ryu_ekbjj
    ryu_ekbjj
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Nick Diaz looking to cash in on boxing Empty Nick Diaz looking to cash in on boxing

Post  ryu_ekbjj Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:10 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/columns/story?columnist=mcneil_franklin&id=6057326

Do you think Diaz can cut it against a decent boxer? Although he is more known for being a volume puncher, 11 of his 12 T/KO wins have come by way of punches. He has an awkward striking style that many mma fighters find hard to deal with and was ready to trade with KJ Noons who competes in boxing himself.

Any thoughts?
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Nick Diaz looking to cash in on boxing Empty Re: Nick Diaz looking to cash in on boxing

Post  Mryzyz Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:51 am

Nicks' pugilistic style translates terribly into boxing IMO.

His arms would get tired if he holds them like he does in MMA with 12oz gloves.

He can't use the threat of a knee or TD to prevent them from fighting him on the inside.

In a QR boxing match Noons would embarrass Diaz. Let alone a high level boxer.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Nick Diaz looking to cash in on boxing Empty Re: Nick Diaz looking to cash in on boxing

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:39 pm

Fernando Vargas coming out of retirement I hope not as for Mayorga I feel Diaz would get stopped very easily I have to say Mayorga vs Diaz would be awesome in terms of trash talking.
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:00 pm

Diaz would get owned in the ring his hand speed isn't where it needs to be in my opinion. I enjoy seeing Diaz fight and his manner is always entertaining but he's in the right sport for him already.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:04 pm

Diaz would be countered very easily by a decent boxer he would leave alot of openings and hasnt got the speed or reflexes to get away with it
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:45 pm

IMO he has the speed and accuracy but what he doesn't have is the chin. Yea sure he recovers great after getting dropped, but in a boxing match where every knockdown counts, 3 of them and thats curtains. He'd better stay in MMA.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:46 pm

Yeah he would get tagged in close, Boxing is at a different range and Diaz likes to fight tall with his arms extended to keep guys at range but I think most Boxers wade though Diaz' punches and land on him. If MMA fighters can drop him on the feet the likes of Mayorga would maul him.

Bad Idea, Good payday.

What do SF even pay him? I dont think its a lot compared to even top 10 UFC guys at Ww. Anyway brass balls on him to try boxing because he does really love it and it has really turned him into a different figther.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:53 am