THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
manschesthair_utd
redmeanie77
rudeboyben84
Moose Stuff For Money...
payneNglory1
9 posters

Cecil Peoples explains why Machida won

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Cecil Peoples explains why Machida won Empty Cecil Peoples explains why Machida won

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:50 pm

http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=877:cecil-peoples-believes-lyoto-won-the-fight-clearly&catid=35:events

For those of you who aren't familiar with Cecil Peoples, he was one of the three judges that scored UFC 104. He was also the same guy who judged the Bisping vs. Hamil match in favor of Bisping. Dude's actually a well-respected martial-artist who received his black-belt in Karate under Master Ryusaki in North Hollywood. In fact, no one has really questioned Cecil People's 'martial-arts cred' but it seems that everyone has something to say about the dude's judging. The MMA world has said Cecil Peoples is running the sport, he's a terrible judge and even so far to call Cecil the worst judge ever. CageReport.net dodged all the flying tomatoes and spoke with Cecil Peoples about his decision to score the fight in Machida's favor and this is what he had to say:

"First of all what you need to understand is that from where the judges are sitting, we get to see things that the fans at home may miss. Mauricio Rua was being aggressive but it wasn't effective aggressiveness which is what we as the judges look for when scoring a fight. The way I saw it, Lyoto was landing the more cleaner and damaging strikes throughout the fight - if you take a look at the judging criteria clean strikes are valued more-so than the quantity of strikes landed. Although Rua threw a lot of low kicks they were not as damaging as Lyotos diverse attack in the earlier rounds which is why I scored the first three rounds for Machida. You have to keep in mind we always favour the fighter who is trying to finish the fight, and leg kicks certainly don't do that."

"When both fighters are engaged in a striking match what I always look for is the fighter who is being judicious, picking his spots, being accurate and landing the cleaner strikes which ultimately is what Lyoto did more effectively than Rua. Lyoto made Shogun come after him, he determined where the fight took place which in my opinion constitutes as effective Octagon control. I recognize the fact that Rua did have a few takedown attempts during the course of the fight however Lyoto defended them all successfully which counts as effective grappling in his favour, where as ununsuccessful takedown attempts are not scored at all. Therefore going by that criteria, I believe Lyoto won the fight clearly. I'm just glad the other judges on the panel saw it the same way and I'm sure the fans who understand the technicalities of the sport agree with the decision too."

"You have to keep in mind we always favour the fighter who is trying to finish the fight, and leg kicks certainly don't do that."

What is the guy smoking?

Those leg kicks were the most damaging blows landed by either man all night & they landed repeatedly by Rua... add to the fact that it was Rua who was constantly attacking & the majority of the time Machida was so defensive that it could be classed as outright survival mode = Cecil Peoples knows fuck all about MMA.

He doesnt count leg kicks Shocked

He doesnt think leg kicks can KO a fighter Rolling Eyes

Remove this idiots license ASAP ! cheers[b]
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Cecil Peoples explains why Machida won Empty Re: Cecil Peoples explains why Machida won

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:18 pm

Lyoto made Shogun come after him, he determined where the fight took place which in my opinion constitutes as effective Octagon control

Why didn't Kalib Starnes get the decision against Nate Quarry then? Rolling Eyes
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Cecil Peoples explains why Machida won Empty Re: Cecil Peoples explains why Machida won

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:11 pm

1st class ballbag, Cecil should loose his job for that type of comments. Ive always questioned the credentials of MMA judges. When Cocks like him are Judging the fight UFC need to ask themselves who these Judges are and what do they know about MMA.

I really think there should be a corse Judges have to sit. they should have to score fights they havnt seen the result of and if they score them wrong (as Cecil probabally would) they shouldnt be allowed to Judge a fight... its really that simple. MMA has a long way to go before Its the finished Article.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:27 pm

Stupid dumbass this guy seems to be, ignoring thunderous body and legs kicks and saying little pitter patter flurry of combos is enough to win rounds because its closer to finishing the fight is the most absurd thing i have ever heard in MMA.

Im sure this clown also thinks that scoring a takedown and lying on top of opponent doing nothing for 20 seconds before getting stood up, also win a fighter that round because he is closer to finishing the fight.

I dont mind so much they giving the wrong guy the win (everyone makes mistakes), but too come out and after looking at fight again and seeing how 99% of people felt after the fight, and not admit to mistake and giving a bullshit excuse that defys logic is not acceptable.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:49 pm

ill just pick out the most stupid bits:

"Lyoto was landing the more cleaner and damaging strikes throughout the fight.....

...You have to keep in mind we always favour the fighter who is trying to finish the fight, and leg kicks certainly don't do that.

...Lyoto made Shogun come after him, he determined where the fight took place which in my opinion constitutes as effective Octagon control.

....I recognize the fact that Rua did have a few takedown attempts during the course of the fight however Lyoto defended them all successfully which counts as effective grappling in his favour, where as ununsuccessful takedown attempts are not scored at all."

so not grappling whatsoever is favoured over attempting to grapple, lyoto did no offensive grappling in that fight, so aggression to Shogun.

Lyoto kept backing up, if that is octagon control then they need to change the rules.

To say Lyotos strikes were more damaging is retardation, maybe becaue he is a karate black belt he thinks 5 karate kicks are more damaging than 40 muay thai kicks?

i am now going to name 10 fights ended with leg kicks off the top of my head;

Crocop/Yoshida
    Crocop/Choi
    Vera/Patt
    Jardine/Schall
    Barry/Evensen (i think he has a few leg kick wins)
    Hardonk/Robinson
    Alexander/Pendergarst...

struggling now...

Hardonk/Pendergarst
    Ruas/Varelans
    and...

C Hill/A Fighter pirat

also look at Chuck/Jardine and Forrest/Rampage for how leg kicks SHOULD be scored.

Cecil Peoples explains why Machida won Vera_finish
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:47 pm

For fuck sake imagine how bad the Athletic commission would look for firing Cecil the man is fucking retarded give him a break it must be hard doing his job in his condition he has overcome a lot man and might i add a he is a bad ass retard i might add.

Cecil Peoples explains why Machida won Cecil-peoples
    Cecil Peoples explains why Machida won 4228
    Cecil Peoples explains why Machida won 37
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:42 pm

Peoples has a track record of awful judging. I just watched the fight twice again and still don't understand how the judges gave it to Machida. On review, I've got it 49-46 Shogun, with Shogun winning rounds 1, 3, 4 and 5.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:22 pm

Forrest Griffin won the Light Heavy Weight Championship against Rampage purely by Leg kicks, Rampages leg was completely fucked after the fight, which was won on points??? i'm sorry MR im a shit judge karate' black belt.... your wrong....
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:11 pm

Forrest Griffin took Rampage down and nearly submitted him, and he badly injured Rampage's leg to the point where Rampage nearly had to quit. Shogun did none of the above.

If People's thinks Machida won the fight, and the other two judges agree with him, then Machida won the fight.

This "history of poor decisions" thing is bullshit and nothing more. People's had judged more MMA fights than anyone in the history of MMA or boxing and has only a few questionable decisions.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:07 pm