THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
Anfields5thKing
the_king
manschesthair_utd
rudeboyben84
8 posters

Shogun vs Forrest II official for Rio card.

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Shogun vs Forrest II official for Rio card. Empty Shogun vs Forrest II official for Rio card.

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:13 pm

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Mauricio_Shogun_Rua_vs_Forrest_Griffin?vid=10017748&tid=100

Just watched the 1st fight, It was actually a lot closer than I remembered theres a good case to say Shogun won the 1st and 2nd round, despite being totally gassed by 7mins into the fight.

I would like to say he has come on a lot as a figher since then, and I do see his Striking as better, certainly his hands got a lot better befor the Liddell fight when he trained Boxing a lot, and that was even evident in the Machida fights too, Also he throws a lot more kicks but I think his biggest weakness is still the exact same.

Shogun due to injury, not training hard enough, not being at a good camp... whatever the excuse is never in great physical shape. He is one of the smallest 205ers and doesnt cut a lot but has shown terrible cardio in this fight, the Bones fight, the Coleman fight... and I hand on heart think he should be a 185er in this day and age. Also shocked in the 1st Forrest fight he wasnt willing to stand and trade!!!

Forrest strenghts are Shogns weaknesses, He is big strong and fit... I back him to beat Shogun on the ground or grind out a decision.

Before the Bones fight Id have confidently said Shogun would KO Forrest in a rematch, his strength, Standup and KO ability plays well against Forrests Chin and willingness to Brawl... both guys strengths really work well against the others weakness but after seeing Shogun turn up in bad Shape and tap to strikes to Bones I am actually worried Forrest might take this one.

Ive never backed anyone to beat Shogun, him and Wanderlei I will always blindly back to win against any mortal man but ive a bad feeling that an out of shape Shogun wont be able to get the job done, Heres hoping he changes some things in his training... Joining Blackhouse would probabally help his game to no end.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Shogun vs Forrest II official for Rio card. Empty Re: Shogun vs Forrest II official for Rio card.

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:22 pm

If he prepares aswell as he did for the first machida fights i see him beating the shit out of Forrest.

Forrest is going to try and hold him down and if he prepares enough for this, then he will win.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Shogun vs Forrest II official for Rio card. Empty Re: Shogun vs Forrest II official for Rio card.

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:28 pm

Yeah reckon Forrest will try and throw his weight around too... Randy will have been drilling wall and stall I guess. But I dont know about Shogun, I wonder if the Surgeries really have finished him... Coleman, Bones and Forrest really were 3 piss poor showings, Machida 1, 2 and Liddell were all great showings so he has been Shite as much as he has been good.

Forrest has been more consistent. Granted more consistent at a lower level but I reckon he is more reliable. I hope and pray Shogun shakes things up in training, Kings MMA seems a good place too, I saw Babalu, Anderson, Werdum and I think Dida training togeather there... I wonder who Shogun has in his camp to work with because I get the feeling he really isnt with any other high level guys. You any Idea?

If he wins this do you think its a title shot? A rematch with Rampage? A rubbermatch with Shogun?

The only fighter im sure will get a shot if he wins his next fight is Randy Laughing
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:11 pm

were beginning to get a good look at how the rio card will be formed.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:42 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    I wonder who Shogun has in his camp to work with because I get the feeling he really isnt with any other high level guys. You any Idea?

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder.php?search=yes&association=Universidade%20da%20Luta

I think you are right. With the exception of Shogun and Ninja, the only guys I recognise are Andre Dida and Fernando Viera seems pretty decent. These are both lightweights and there doesnt seem to be many big guys to help prepare him for Forrest.

I think he takes his training elsewhere sometimes, and i hope he does for at least for part of this camp.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Ben, there may be a small case for Shogun winning the first round, but not for the second. And the 3rd would have been a 10-8.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:34 pm

Forrest is getting smashed bounce
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:41 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Ben, there may be a small case for Shogun winning the first round, but not for the second. And the 3rd would have been a 10-8.

Yeah he got done in in the 3rd bad before he got tapped, but if you turn off the comentart and watch the 2nd, even after he is gassed Forrest stands in front of him getting punched in the face... It was close enough

It wasnt a dominatoin by Forrest and Shogun looked shite, you think he will beat Forrest this time?

I just have a bad feeling Shogun isnt going to step things up, the last generation have a real problem changing things up... Fedor, Crocop and him all needed to drop a weight class and all needed a change of camps I reckon.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Gracies opponent....

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/4/15/2113345/ufc-1-competitor-art-jimmerson-has-taken-up-training-bjj-in-a-gi-at#comments

hopefully not!

Laughing

Though it got me thinking, I wonder if Brazil dont have the same comissions could UFC do an openweight bout? James Toney vs Royce Gracie would rock
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:49 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Gracies opponent....

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/4/15/2113345/ufc-1-competitor-art-jimmerson-has-taken-up-training-bjj-in-a-gi-at#comments

hopefully not!

Laughing

Though it got me thinking, I wonder if Brazil dont have the same comissions could UFC do an openweight bout? James Toney vs Royce Gracie would rock

yeah thats crazy if true. would it be a legit ufc fight of just a novilty with royce wearing a gi and jimmerson wearing his one glove?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Shogun going back to Rafael Cordeiro?

“It’s an open possibility, a possibility I’m considering. I’m always looking to develop my game, and I have a great affection for Rafael, who was my coach in the past. We’ve been talking about that for a while. We’ll do it again, and I’ll decide what’s best for me. Choosing the people I work with is a very private decision, and I’m the only one who will make it.”

On his upcoming fight with “The Ultimate Fighter” original, Rua said:

“[Griffin] is a very tough and talented guy. He’s also a former division champion. His striking is good, his takedowns, too. And his ground game is dangerous, so he’s a complete fighter. I’ll have to practice everything to beat him.”

Rafaels main gym is Kings MMA isnt it?! Just as I said! Laughing He is acutally on the KingsMMA webiste now!!! Shocked

Shogun training with a guy bigger than Forrest and far more dangerous on the ground in Werdum and one of the best strikers around and the guy who schooled him in Anderson who drops in there. Him and Wandy training togeather too makes me happy, I reckon that will up Wandereli game too if he happens.

Shogun vs Forrest II official for Rio card. Chute_boxe
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:55 pm

That a class photo, imagine bumping into those boys on a night out!!!!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:55 pm

wrandi looks ripped.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:56 pm

the_king wrote:

hopefully not!

Laughing

yeah thats crazy if true. would it be a legit ufc fight of just a novilty with royce wearing a gi and jimmerson wearing his one glove?

Thats DREAM your thinking of mate! Laughing UFC wouldnt do a novelty fight after Mumbles didnt work out so well!

I reckon either, a Sakuraba Rubbermatch because he was juicing the 2nd time wasnt he? Both could retire in that fight?

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:58 pm

I wonder at what percentage we'll see Shogun, following his medical suspension after the Jones fight, he's going to have around 3 months in the gym to train for this fight, I wonder if the prospect of fighting in Brazil couldn't be turned down, as I thought Shogun may need more time off to fully recover from his obvious rushing back for the title fight. I hope Shogun is back fighting fit again, as despite his young age, a second loss to Forrest here and you factor in his niggling injuries that have been troubling him for some time and I think Shogun may have to have a long think about his future.

Nontheless, this card is going to be stacked!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:59 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    the_king wrote:

hopefully not!

Laughing

Thats DREAM your thinking of mate! Laughing UFC wouldnt do a novelty fight after Mumbles didnt work out so well!

I reckon either, a Sakuraba Rubbermatch because he was juicing the 2nd time wasnt he? Both could retire in that fight?

oh lol. i think royce should not fight not after getting destroyed by hughes. i have a feeling he may damage his legacy even more.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:14 pm

the_king wrote:
    rudeboyben84 wrote:
    the_king wrote:

hopefully not!

Laughing

oh lol. i think royce should not fight not after getting destroyed by hughes. i have a feeling he may damage his legacy even more.

Saku is a zombie now though, his body has taken serious abuse and he looks and probabally moves around slower than Gracie, It would be a passible fight for him to fight Saku seeing as they are both Ww's, Saku is on a 3 fight loosing spree and in Gracies last fight which was only 4 years ago he beat Saku... juiced or not! lol.

Reckon it would be a hugh payout to DREAM to get him, not sure what way his contract is and he hasnt fought out of Pride/Dream since 1997! I can always hope though Laughing

Some kid with 0 groundgame and no power would fith the bill though! It really depends on how much attention they put on the fight, if it could be an undercard fight free on the internet or something?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:29 am

[quote="rudeboyben84"]
    Anfields5thKing wrote:

It wasnt a dominatoin by Forrest and Shogun looked shite, you think he will beat Forrest this time?

All depends on what shape he's in.

If he turns up like he did against Machida and Chuck he'll destroy him. If he turns up like he did against Forrest the first time and Coleman, he'll lose a decision. If he turns up like he did against Bones, he'll get destroyed.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:31 am

Historic precedent shows that Shogun shows up in shite shape 2 fights back after a layoff.
    Nothing concrete to suggest it will be different this time. Griffin probably wins this 29-28 or by late stoppage.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:31 pm

‘Shogun’ Weighs Offer to Reunite with Former Chute Boxe Trainer

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua will weigh his training options, as he prepares for his rematch with Forrest Griffin at UFC “Rio” on Aug. 27 at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

It will be the first step towards recovering his title, lost to Jon Jones in a third-round technical knockout at UFC 128. Rua was invited by longtime former mentor Rafael Cordeiro to train at Kings MMA in California and indicated he will seriously consider the offer.

“It’s an open possibility, a possibility I’m considering,” Rua told Sherdog.com. “I’m always looking to develop my game, and I have a great affection for Rafael, who was my coach in the past. We’ve been talking about that for a while. We’ll do it again, and I’ll decide what’s best for me. Choosing the people I work with is a very private decision, and I’m the only one who will make it.”

i think that despite being in america rather than Brazil, it would be beneficial for Shogun to train with high level partners they have at King's MMA including:

Fabricio Werdum
    Renato Babalu Sobral
    King Mo Lawal
    Jason Mayhem Miller
    Emmanuel Newton (decent fighter submitted Rodney Wallace and David Heath)
    and erm....Jamie Yager

(and anderson silva was training there recently)

Last edited by manschesthair_utd on Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:02 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    the_king wrote:
    rudeboyben84 wrote:
    the_king wrote:

hopefully not!

Laughing

Saku is a zombie now though, his body has taken serious abuse and he looks and probabally moves around slower than Gracie, It would be a passible fight for him to fight Saku seeing as they are both Ww's, Saku is on a 3 fight loosing spree and in Gracies last fight which was only 4 years ago he beat Saku... juiced or not! lol.

Reckon it would be a hugh payout to DREAM to get him, not sure what way his contract is and he hasnt fought out of Pride/Dream since 1997! I can always hope though Laughing

Some kid with 0 groundgame and no power would fith the bill though! It really depends on how much attention they put on the fight, if it could be an undercard fight free on the internet or something?

not sure wether they would pay huge to get him though, what use would he be after the fight espescially if he lost.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:39 am