THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
Cowboys From Hell
efils_god
the_king
sunthunder
Once Mohawked Pete
SBGaz
10 posters

Fedor v Henderson for summer 2011

Poll

How would the fight go?

[ 2 ]
    Fedor v Henderson for summer 2011 I_vote_lcap14%Fedor v Henderson for summer 2011 I_vote_rcap [14%] 
    [ 7 ]
    Fedor v Henderson for summer 2011 I_vote_lcap50%Fedor v Henderson for summer 2011 I_vote_rcap [50%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Fedor v Henderson for summer 2011 I_vote_lcap14%Fedor v Henderson for summer 2011 I_vote_rcap [14%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Fedor v Henderson for summer 2011 I_vote_lcap7%Fedor v Henderson for summer 2011 I_vote_rcap [7%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Fedor v Henderson for summer 2011 I_vote_lcap0%Fedor v Henderson for summer 2011 I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 2 ]

Total Votes: 14
    SBGaz
    SBGaz
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Fedor v Henderson for summer 2011 Empty Fedor v Henderson for summer 2011

Post  SBGaz Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:23 pm

A fight between Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson and former Pride heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko is being targeted for July or August of 2011, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said, but is still not yet confirmed.

"The date, I would say, is probably late summer," Coker said after Saturday night's Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley event. "Some things are still being negotiated."

The main sticking point, it seems, is the weight that the fight will be contested at. As first reported by SI.com, the two camps seem to be debating either a catchweight bout or a heavyweight fight. The possibility of meeting at the 205-pound light heavyweight limit was quickly ruled out by Emelianenko's camp, according to Coker.

"We asked Fedor if he'd come down to 205 [pounds], and that didn't come to a good result," said Coker. "So, you know, we're going to keep pushing and hopefully have something to announce in the next two weeks or so. Right now, the fight's not made yet. Sometimes it's the little things – and I don't want to get into the contract negotiations – but it's the little things where somebody wants this, somebody wants that."

Emelianenko had publicly contemplated retirement after being defeated by Antonio Silva in the first round of the Strikeforce heavyweight Grand Prix in February, but is now said to be ready to return to action.

Though Strikeforce is now owned by Zuffa, the parent company to the UFC – and though Emelianenko's M-1 Global management team has had a strained relationship with the UFC in the past – Coker said there is no contractual impediment to making an Emelianenko-Henderson fight happen under the Zuffa banner.

"The contract's already in place. We have a multi-fight contract with Fedor, which will continue. He will fight in July or August some time. So that's going to continue. The contract thing, it's just the details now."
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/04/10/fedor-henderson-bout-targeted-for-summer-2011-coker-confirms/
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Fedor v Henderson for summer 2011 Empty Re: Fedor v Henderson for summer 2011

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:18 pm

Don't think that I would ever feel right about picking ANYONE over Fedor and think that both men have chins that would ensure that there wouldn't be a KO, I see Fedor being too strong, either Fedor sub/ Decision, went for Decision though.

sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:20 pm

I am very curious as to how strong Fedor will be coming down to 205. Seeing him ragdoll big heavyweights for so long kind of makes you wonder if he can do the same at light heavyweight, although his speed helped him a lot against comparitively slower heavyweights.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:32 pm

sunthunder wrote:I am very curious as to how strong Fedor will be coming down to 205. Seeing him ragdoll big heavyweights for so long kind of makes you wonder if he can do the same at light heavyweight, although his speed helped him a lot against comparitively slower heavyweights.

I really cannot see Fedor dropping to LHW, I see this fight being at catchweight and then Fedor (should he win) figting once, maybe twice more at HW.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:39 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    sunthunder wrote:I am very curious as to how strong Fedor will be coming down to 205. Seeing him ragdoll big heavyweights for so long kind of makes you wonder if he can do the same at light heavyweight, although his speed helped him a lot against comparitively slower heavyweights.

I really cannot see Fedor dropping to LHW, I see this fight being at catchweight and then Fedor (should he win) figting once, maybe twice more at HW.

Oh snap didn't even properly read the source and just assumed it was at 205 Embarassed
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:21 am

i voted hendo grinding out a decision, i dunno why just a gut feeling.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:42 am

If this was 205 i'd say Hendo UD.

But at HW or CW, i'll say Fedor UD.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:41 pm

Really hard to say got a feeling Hendo might pull off a decision.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Hendo said he is willing to fight Fedor at heavyweight so i dont see any reason why not.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:29 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:Hendo said he is willing to fight Fedor at heavyweight so i dont see any reason why not.

if its at HW i say fedor, anything below 210 id say hendo.
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:08 pm

the_king wrote:
    manschesthair_utd wrote:Hendo said he is willing to fight Fedor at heavyweight so i dont see any reason why not.

what if it was at 210.5lbs catchweight?
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:19 pm

Sly Uses wrote:
    the_king wrote:

what if it was at 210.5lbs catchweight?

lol id have to flip a coin.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:21 pm

Weirdly hearing Hendo wants the fight at Hw as oppose to a catchweight fight... Fedors camp are pushing for 215-220lbs.... sounds weird, youd think that Hendo would push for 205.... Dont understand that at all.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:38 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Weirdly hearing Hendo wants the fight at Hw as oppose to a catchweight fight... Fedors camp are pushing for 215-220lbs.... sounds weird, youd think that Hendo would push for 205.... Dont understand that at all.

I don't think Dan is too bothered!! cheers
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Haha Probabally mate.... Unless he is thinking a win over Fedor might put him up the Hw rankings and go after 2 belts.

Hendo vs Barnett or Werdum are 2 fights id love to see if he made a run at the Hw title... would fear for his safety against Overeem though.

I really dont know who im hoping for between Hendo and Fedor
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:25 pm

It's a fight that Dan Henderson discussed prior to ever signing with Strikeforce, so the promotion's reigning light-heavyweight champion would gladly temporarily move up a division to accept a match with Russian legend Fedor Emelianenko.

Henderson's manager Aaron Crecy told MMA Fighting that while the fighter has yet to receive an offer for the bout, Strikeforce did ask for confirmation he would take the fight before beginning talks with Emelianenko's M-1 team. Those discussions remain ongoing, but as far as Henderson's concerned, he'll take the fight at any weight class.

"Dan has indicated he'd love to have the fight and he hasn't shied away from that," Crecy said. "He'd love to have the fight, and have it at heavyweight. He's happy to challenge Fedor there."

According to sources with knowledge of the situation, Emelianenko's team offered a catch weight of 220 pounds in order to make the fight more appealing to Henderson, but such a gesture may be unnecessary. Crecy said that since Henderson is the one that originally brought up the idea of fighting Emelianenko, it's his obligation to challenge Emelianenko in the weight class he prefers. But regardless of whether Emelianenko prefers heavyweight, light-heavyweight or a catch weight, Henderson would accept the fight.

"Dan admires the guy and feels it's a challenge he's wanted to take for a long time," he said. "He's embraced the possibility of it for a long time."

Henderson (27-8 ) captured the Strikeforce light-heavyweight championship in a March 5 knockout of Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante but a move up to the heavyweight ranks wouldn't be the first division shift for the fan favorite. In PRIDE, he simultaneously held both the 183- and 205-pound championships, and he previously fought heavyweights including Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Gilbert Yvel.

Emelianenko (31-3, 1 no contest) usually weighs in around between 225-230, about 20 pounds heavier than Henderson, but he's about the same size as many light-heavyweights who cut down to make the 205-pound limit. Because of that, Henderson doesn't see size as an issue to haggle over.

"It's a fight that can only be good for the fans, the promotion and fighters," Crecy said. "Two icons, two legends of the sport. There's no reason not to do it. Dan certainly wants it from his end, he's saying he wants the fight and he wanted to leave no reason for Fedor not to accept it. He's not asking for a catch weight or 205. We're not involved with the dialogue on other side. That's between Strikeforce and M-1. We have respect for Fedor & M-1 management and we're optimistic something will be worked out. If M-1 and Strikeforce work out what they need to work out, Dan will be excited to take the fight."

An M-1 representative told MMA Fighting that Emelianenko is as interested in the fight as Henderson. With weight class a non-issue, negotiations will turn to matters simple (date and location) and complex (TV possibilities).

"It looks like [Henderson] wants the fight, and Fedor wants it, too," he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's get it on!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 3:59 am