THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
Once Mohawked Pete
wilksdaman
Sheldan
7 posters

Herb Dean Defends His Stoppage in Henderson-Fedor Fight

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Herb Dean Defends His Stoppage in Henderson-Fedor Fight Empty Herb Dean Defends His Stoppage in Henderson-Fedor Fight

Post  Sheldan Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:00 pm

When Dan Henderson made Fedor Emelianenko fall face-first into the canvas with a hard shot to the chin on Saturday night, referee Herb Dean had a split-second decision to make on whether or not to step in and stop the fight. Dean chose to stop it, awarding Henderson the victory by technical knockout, but Emelianenko said after the fight that Dean's decision was the wrong one, and that he could have kept fighting.

On Monday's MMA Hour, Dean defended his call, saying that Fedor was unconscious when Henderson connected with the punch, and as a result Dean had no choice but to stop the fight.

"I saw Dan hit Fedor with a shot, Fedor fell down flat on his face, face down, his palms were facing up and I saw Dan continuing to punch," Dean said. "He hit him with, I believe, three punches, and I didn't see Fedor doing any movement. It seemed to me he was unconscious. I came in to stop the fight."

Dean said that although he had to make the decision instantly, he watched the replay of the stoppage and stands by his decision with the benefit of hindsight.

"When I made my decision to stop the fight, Fedor was face down, unconscious. When I touched Dan, Fedor was still face down. Once I touch him the fight is over," Dean said.

Dean has also faced some criticism from fans who said Henderson illegally hit Fedor in the back of the head at the end of the fight, but Dean said he saw no fouls there.

"I saw punches that may have been close," Dean said. "But I wouldn't have called those fouls because the way the action was moving, I couldn't say that he intentionally targeted that area."

Ultimately, Dean said, he's very comfortable with his decision to protect Fedor from further damage.

"Fedor was unconscious and unable to defend himself," Dean said.

Although fans watching from home didn't know it, Dean's stoppage was actually the second controversial call he made on Saturday night. In an un-televised undercard bout between Bobby Green and JZ Cavalcante, some fans thought Green had tapped out while Cavalcante had him in a choke. In reality, Dean says, the motion some fans thought was tapping was actually Green signaling to Dean that he was still conscious and not in danger of passing out from the choke.

"It was a very clear thumbs up," Dean said. "I got down close to the mat so I could see his face, made some effort to communicate with him, and he gave me a thumbs-up, clear as day."

Dean said he knows fans don't always agree with referees' decisions, noting that "Sometimes in doing my job I'm not going to be a popular guy." But after a night on which Dean faced major questions about the way he refereed, Dean says he can stand by the calls he made.
    wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Herb Dean Defends His Stoppage in Henderson-Fedor Fight Empty Re: Herb Dean Defends His Stoppage in Henderson-Fedor Fight

Post  wilksdaman Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:39 pm

It was a pretty weird ending.
    I remember I was half asleep and all of a sudden Fedor was all over him. It looked like game over, then that shot came out of no where. I remember thinking, shit, he's done. I'm no referee, but I would have called it as soon Fedor face-planted to the mat.
    I like how he immediately sat up a-la The Undertaker. He looked wobbly as shit though.

Shame. He almost had it Sad
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Herb Dean Defends His Stoppage in Henderson-Fedor Fight Empty Re: Herb Dean Defends His Stoppage in Henderson-Fedor Fight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:08 pm

I think that it has been blown out of proportion, sure I thought that Fedor could have been given more time, but, no one can blame Herb for stopping it when he did. It was certainly not a terrible call, and I know that Herb would have taken flack if he had called it too late. Good on him for coming onto the show and explaining his decision though.

I think Fedor has to take a fair bit of blame for fighting the fight he did. He appears to be incapable of fighting a 'clever' fight these days, and as Ben said in an earlier post, MMA appears to have 'passed him by' a little.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:34 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:I think that it has been blown out of proportion, sure I thought that Fedor could have been given more time, but, no one can blame Herb for stopping it when he did. It was certainly not a terrible call, and I know that Herb would have taken flack if he had called it too late. Good on him for coming onto the show and explaining his decision though.

I think Fedor has to take a fair bit of blame for fighting the fight he did. He appears to be incapable of fighting a 'clever' fight these days, and as Ben said in an earlier post, MMA appears to have 'passed him by' a little.

What u think Pete Fedor to Retire? Coker wants him back and I dont see him fighting a lower ranked Hw to build back up a lot of top guys do after a loss. Im all honesty lets compare him to a similar ranked guy in Carwin, Jon Olav Einemo was supposed to be Carwins opponent BEFORE the JDS loss. Whats wrong with Fedor (similar age and rank to Carwin) fighting the looser of Sergei vs Barnett for example? No one wants Fedor to be a gatekeeper but I dont think his skill or punch resistance has deteriated like others whos retirement is being questioned.

Im only thinking he will retire because

1. Dana White hates him

2. He is getting paid more than any other Zuffa fighter

3. M-1 are his managers and are like rats backed into a corner now they have lost all leverage I dont see them just letting Fedor drop to a $300,00 a fight guy in SF or even UFC and cutting the co promotion shit.

Fedor taking on UFC gatekeepers to build his way up would work for me, Schaub need another Legend pick a fight with? I reckon despite 2 first round losses in his last 3 fights he could make a good fight with Mir.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:43 pm

In an ideal world, Fedor fights 1 last time against Brock Lesnar in a huge PPV event and pocket 1 last final big payday. Would be good for fans, Fedor and UFC as im still sure it would be biggest PPV event of all time.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:56 pm

TBH Ben, If Herb had of allowed the fight to continue, we MAY have seen the last of him. I think if Hendo had of demolished him, there would be no way I could see him continuing.

The danger is if Fedor thinks he has something to prove. Maybe calling for a rematch against Hendo.

No way can I see him going to UFC, as you said, Dana hates him, and has done nowt but slate him and his record. Cannot see SF continuing to pay him the type of money they have done, so this leaves Japan as his only viable option (should he decide to fight on). I would have loved to see him drop the weight and try to mount some sort of challenge at LHW, but, he's never shown any inclination to do so. Sad to say, but MMA has moved on, and the tactic of fighting everyone at THEIR style, is just not going to return dividends. His striking has looked a bit wild and reckless over the last few years, but, he's now looking really vulnerable. Unless he decides to cut weight, and start fighting 'clever', then all I can see, is a legend tarnishing his own legacy.

My gut feeling is, he will call for another shot at Hendo, SF/UFC refuse, and Fedor then fades into retirement. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:42 am

To be fair boys Dana hates M-1 more than Fedor, and if there's a chance of making big money, Dana will bring him to the UFC. However I can only see him fighting once more, if even that.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:32 am

I think that there would have been a lot of demand for Fedor in UFC had he decided to try his hand at LHW and had a convincing display against Hendo, but on the back of three sucessive losses and his first KO loss to a man giving away 14lbs or so? Not so sure.

There was a little moment (when those pictures appeared on the net) where I was salivating over the thought of Fedor vs Rampage/Evans/Shogun/Jones, hell even vs Tito, but not to be. Really hope that he decides to retire, as I've very little interest in watching a once great fighter tarnish his legacy.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:25 pm

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:33 pm

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:04 pm