THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
Jud_Danger
rudeboyben84
efils_god
7 posters

Dana White - 'Wanderlei vs Vitor, that's the fight we want'

efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Dana White - 'Wanderlei vs Vitor, that's the fight we want' Empty Dana White - 'Wanderlei vs Vitor, that's the fight we want'

Post  efils_god Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:52 pm

What do you guys think of this match-up?

It's an odd situation cos Wanderlei just 'announced' on twitter that he'd fight (or like to fight) Leben.

Dana was asked about this by Ariel Helwani in a pre-128 interview and said this fight wasn't on. The UFC want Wanderlei to fight Vitor Belfort.

I'd probably pick Vitor by KO.

(Again, 2 less opponents for Bisping....)

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Dana White - 'Wanderlei vs Vitor, that's the fight we want' Empty Re: Dana White - 'Wanderlei vs Vitor, that's the fight we want'

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Bisping should wait to see if Marquardt wins, If Nate wins Id like to see Bisping fight someone who can outstrike and outgrapple him like Nate. Sonnen wouldnt be a fair fight for Bisping and id imagine Bisping knows he would get steamrolled by Sonnen.

Bisping has gone as far as he can in the sport, any sort of step up in opposition and he will get beat so he has to be very carefull who he fights from here...

Wandy calling out Leben is very very disapointing, It would make for a good fight but Leben was never and probabally never will be top 10. Not very ambitious from a man who was once just about the best figher around... Vitor vs Wanderlei makes so much more sence and Id like to think Wanderlei would accept it in an attempt to avenge the worst loss of his career.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Dana White - 'Wanderlei vs Vitor, that's the fight we want' Empty Re: Dana White - 'Wanderlei vs Vitor, that's the fight we want'

Post  efils_god Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Yeah i agree it seems a bit odd from Wanderlei. Sure, Leben would stand and bang with him and i'm sur it'd be a fun fight, but it shows a lack of ambition on his part.

From what Dana said it seems clear that the UFC want to put this fight together (probably in Rio?), and he said Wanderlei knows this.

Could it be he doesn't want this fight? He also recently stated he didn't want to fight Brian Stann either, although he put it down to the fact that 'everybody loves him cos he's and army hero'.

It is an odd one, bit worrying for Wandy fans!
    Jud_Danger
    Jud_Danger
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Jud_Danger Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:57 pm

He must have said he'd fight Leben because Leben called him out after the Akiyama win didnt he???

So Silva obviously wants to shut his mouth!?!?

But....Silva/Belfort could be immense!!!

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:00 pm

Cant believe there going to make Wandi wait till UFC Brazil to fight again.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:28 pm

It sounds to me that Wandi is looking for an exciting winnable tune up fight before he's ready to step in with one of the top guys of the division,which even though I'd like to see him against Vitor,seems like a wise decision for his career to be honest,I think he needs a win against the likes of Leban before he steps up,especially after how inactive he's been in the last few years.

Leban would put up a good fight and it would be a fight that the fans will enjoy and even though Leban's not a great fighter,he's a big enough name for it to be called a good win and a good well earned step towards the next level.

Lets face it,Wandi's been out for over a year,he's unproven at this weight,he's only had one fight at MW,(it was a hard struggle for him to get down to MW in the first place,it took him the best part of 2 years to get down to MW)and in his last 7 fights over the last 5 years,his record stands at 2-5,2-3 in the UFC.
    Even though the competition he faced in them was about as tough as it gets,it hardly the record of a guy ready or deserving to take on the top guys of the division.

Though to be fair,a similar thing could be said for Vitor getting his last fight,but atleast Vitor had been down to weight for the last couple of years and was on a 5 fight win streak going in,beating the ex MW champ the fight before.

I say get them both on the UFC 130 or 131 cards in exciting winnable fights and if they both win and come through unhurt,they have the best part of 3 months to get ready to fight each other on the Brazil card.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:It sounds to me that Wandi is looking for an exciting winnable tune up fight before he's ready to step in with one of the top guys of the division.

Why doesn't he rematch Bisping. Laughing

I suppose at Wand's age (I'm thinking fighting age rather than age age) he is looking at entertaining fights he knows generate interest and money he is sort of at the stage of his career of Matt Hughes last year before BJ.
    wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  wilksdaman Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:10 pm

efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:17 am

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:31 am