THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
ChelseaQuinsfan
redmeanie77
rudeboyben84
7 posters

Dana White calls M-1 on the Free fight with Lesnar

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Dana White calls M-1 on the Free fight with Lesnar Empty Dana White calls M-1 on the Free fight with Lesnar

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:25 pm

Earlier this month, M-1 Global exec Jerry Millen made waves by claiming Fedor Emelianenko would be willing to fight Brock Lesnar for free.

UFC president Dana White recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he's prepared to call Millen's bluff.

"They'll do the fight for free?" White asked. "That's [expletive] weird because I offered them millions of dollars to take the fight and he didn't take it. Now [Emelianenko] wants to fight for free? When and where? I'd love him to fight for free.

"I'll make that [expletive] fight right now for free. Let's do it."

Fight fans have long clamored for Emelianenko to appear in the octagon, but contentious negotiations between White and the former PRIDE champion's representatives at M-1 Global have prevented "The Last Emperor" from joining the UFC.

White said he sees great irony in a camp offering to fight for free when they once demanded a 50-percent share of the UFC's business.

"That's funny that they say they'll do it for free now when they were dealing with us and negotiating with us they wanted 50 percent of our business," White said. "They wanted 50 percent of our business to do that fight, but now they'll do it for free?"

White had a bit of extra venom for Millen.

"[Millen] is a [expletive] clown that talks out of his ass and has no business (discussing the negotiations)," White said. "That guy is a nobody. When we did the big Fedor negotiations, you think he was in it? He wasn't even in it. That guy's full of [expletive]. Tell him to go frost his [expletive] hair again and beat it.

"You don't think I want to make that fight? Of course I want to make that fight. But it takes two people to make a deal, not one guy."

White has often referred to Emelianenko's handlers as "crazy Russians" when it comes to addressing their negotiating tactics. But this time, the UFC exec utilized a different depiction.

"We offered [Emelianenko] lots of money – so much money that it caused lots of [expletive] with our other fighters," White said. "That's how much money we offered him. And guess what he said. 'No, we want 50 percent of your business.' That's some Russian strong-arm [expletive]. They can get away with that [expletive] out in Russia to the baker that works down the street. They're not coming to America and doing that.

"If Fedor wants to fight the best in the world, he can call right now. We can [expletive] cut a deal right this second, and we can do it."

Of course, prior to any Emelianenko vs. Lesnar contest – free or otherwise – the UFC champ will half to nurse himself back to fighting shape. White remained relatively tight-lipped about Lesnar's exact condition but did insist he would do everything possible to assist in the heavyweight's recovery.

"[Lesnar] had minor surgery," White said. "He's kicking back, healing up, seeing how he feels. No matter what, we're sending him down to the Mayo Clinic to get checked out by the best doctors in the world. From there, we'll see what happens.

"He's still very much in limbo, and we don't know. All I really care about is that the guys healthy and can come back."

White also said he was amazed that it took such a tragic situation for fans to realize what Lesnar brings to the table.

"It's funny because it takes something like this for the fans to appreciate Brock Lesnar," White said. "Whether you love him or you hate him, when you sit around and go, 'Holy [expletive, he might never fight again,' that sucks. You don't want that to happen.

"I just think he brings so much to the sport, especially to a heavyweight division that has been dead for so long."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makes me like Dana White again! He really calls em like he sees em!!! IT would be funny if this fight ended up happening in some sports hall or gym in the backwatters of russia!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Dana White calls M-1 on the Free fight with Lesnar Empty Re: Dana White calls M-1 on the Free fight with Lesnar

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:38 pm

I know everyone hates Dana, but M-1 are a fucking mob. It was those clowns who didnt want any part of Fedor joining the UFC. We will never see Fedor in the UFC because of these guys. Next they will be saying UFC need to build 3000 MMA clubs in Russia and put on a dozen shows for free each year.

Yet after a few months they wait till all the heat from fans cools off, and after Fedor fights with Strikeforce they start bullshitting that he will fight any of their guys for free...
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Dana White calls M-1 on the Free fight with Lesnar Empty Re: Dana White calls M-1 on the Free fight with Lesnar

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:39 pm

I don't always agree with Dana, but these Russians are full of shit. Its a typical immature reaction from Dana but its complete bullshit what these guys are doing. They are taking advantage of a great fighter and looking to make a few million. Wanting 50 per cent of the UFC is complete horseshit, who do these guys think they are? I don't blame Fedor but he has been manipulated by business men who probably don't even know who Chuck Liddell or understand what a rear nacked choke is. I just hope they make there money and leave Fedor alone so we can see Fedor in the octagon.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm

Oh and Ben the title is misleading No Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I don't understand why they would say that anyway, give fans some kind of hope. Its clearly bullshit when the rejected 5 million.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:59 pm

Haha yeah I suppose It is, I should have said called them out on it... called them sounds like he rang them and said lets do this free fight then!

I dont know who to believe Fedor said that the 5mill deal was complete bullshit, Dana says that the deal was great etc.. but its strange that people wont release exact figures or show what was really on the table.

I do side with Dana to be honest, the russians seem to be taking the piss. I dont know if they really wanted a stadium or if they really wanted 50% of UFC's buisness but if thats anywere near true they are vastly over rating how much UFC want or Need Fedor.

UFC are the big league in MMA and what they say goes, Dana white has already convinced most people that Silva and GSP are better than Fedor after all!!

Lets hope once he gets his job done in strikeforce they can try and talk again, maby meet face to face. I think Dana just needs to stop calling fedor, Fat, Bald and Overrated etc.. he isnt helping by souring the relationship before he has met him.

I still have hope we will see Fedor in the UFC before he retires
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:09 pm

When often asked about the UFC, Fedor and other russian have stated on numerous occasions that "UFC treat fighters like slaves" without really going into detail on what they actually mean by that.

But in M-1 they want Fedor to go to UFC getting paid alot of money to fight, and yet they also want 50% of the revenue UFC makes for that fight/event (PPV buys) without undertaking any of the expenses. Because he is associated with M-1????

That is extortion!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:19 pm

I can understand why people are siding with Dana over Millen who is just like dana but with hair instead of power.

but M1 global didnt demand 50% of the company, and most of the other things he says here are lies, he will never be able to come to a deal with m1 if he keeps making shit up about them.

at worst they want a part share of the profits from m1/UFC co promoted events, like the strikeforce deal.

fuckem both, neither has any intention of letting their guy fight for free, and neither guy has any intention of fighting for free either.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:57 pm

Posturing and bullshit from Dana.

Chesty is right, the Russians never asked for 50% of the business. They wanted 50% of the earnings from certain events THAT THEY WOULD HAVE PAID 50% TOWARDS STAGING!

He will not make that fight for free because Brock won't fight for free. He can't make anything now because as he knows very well Fedor has two fights left on his strikeforce deal.

The only people Dana has convinced that any fighter he's ever had as been as good as Fedor are UFC fanboys who don't watch anything other than the UFC.

Dana is full of shit. He really should just shut the fuck up because he's an embarrassment to the sport.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:11 pm

"They wanted 50% of the earnings from certain events THAT THEY WOULD HAVE PAID 50% TOWARDS STAGING!"

I dont understand what you meant here, what 50% money would M-1 have had to paid for fight?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:21 pm

Wow Anfield, big Dana fan here. Very Happy

Either way he is always immature with his responses and doesn't present the sport well.

Doesn't take away from that fact that Millien is full of shit and Vadim is an asshole.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:05 pm

It is shit but thats the way it is I don't want to go off topic here too much but I kinda hope Lesnar and Fedor don't ever meet because if there is one man in MMA that can beat Fedor its Lesnar!! Not that I feel Lesnar is a justified "MMA" fighter, he's a Wrestler that can land a punch on the floor.

Maybe the Russians are creating all this crap but thats what the UFC are going to have to contend with if they want there man Dana just loves the limelight and will do anything to get it, it's just a shame we never get to really hear Fedors opinion...
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:44 pm

...well yeah i suppose.

but people said that about Crocop (will be able to beat fedor on the feet, and cannot be taken down) and Arloski (only HW faster than Fedor and competent in every area)and look what happened...

i will never doubt Fedor again until the day he loses.....which i dont doubt will never happen Rolling Eyes scratch
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:32 am

redmeanie77 wrote:"They wanted 50% of the earnings from certain events THAT THEY WOULD HAVE PAID 50% TOWARDS STAGING!"

I dont understand what you meant here, what 50% money would M-1 have had to paid for fight?

I don't see what you don't understand.

M1 wanted to co-promote events. Therefore splitting all promotion costs. It's costs the UFC a massive amount of money to stage an event. M1 would have paid half of those costs. So the UFC profit percentage would have been the same. Obviously they would have made a bit less off the events but at least they could finally make their claim that they have all the best fighters in the world without looking like a bunch of muppets.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:55 am

Ah you meant 50% of promotion cost, you said staging at first. There is a big differnce. As much as UFC put into to promoting, there is still alot more other cost that UFC incur to put on these events of theres. And you dont become a billion dollar company if your total cost are anywhere near total revenue for an event.

So basically M-1 wanted to pay 50% for a small percentage of cost (promotion) and recieve 50% for revenue for that fight/event (they would have wanted their share from PPV buys and everything) And they also wanted Fedor to get more money than what UFC offered.

I hope they got laughed out of the UFC building in the summer. No one expected UFC to take up this offer. the russian probably didnt either.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:58 am

It seems pretty ridiculous to me that they wanted co-promote. Besides Fedor and Mousasi the UFC have nothing to gain. Yes Fedor and Mousasi are big gains but there not worth an entire company. Maybe they didn't get the best fighter of all time but they still have the next 8 best fighters under the ZUEFFA banner.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:03 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:Ah you meant 50% of promotion cost, you said staging at first. There is a big differnce. As much as UFC put into to promoting, there is still alot more other cost that UFC incur to put on these events of theres. And you dont become a billion dollar company if your total cost are anywhere near total revenue for an event.

So basically M-1 wanted to pay 50% for a small percentage of cost (promotion) and recieve 50% for revenue for that fight/event (they would have wanted their share from PPV buys and everything) And they also wanted Fedor to get more money than what UFC offered.

I hope they got laughed out of the UFC building in the summer. No one expected UFC to take up this offer. the russian probably didnt either.

Promotion costs come under the heading of staging cost though.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:05 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:It seems pretty ridiculous to me that they wanted co-promote. Besides Fedor and Mousasi the UFC have nothing to gain. Yes Fedor and Mousasi are big gains but there not worth an entire company. Maybe they didn't get the best fighter of all time but they still have the next 8 best fighters under the ZUEFFA banner.

Aoki as well has ties to M1 and that's why he'll go to Strikeforce. He's also a top 10 P4P fighter.

Of the top 10 P4P fighters, Strikeforce will have 4 if they sign Hendo(Hendo, Fedor, Aoki, Mousasi). UFC have 4(Machida, Silva, GSP, Penn) and the WEC has 2(Bowles, Aldo)
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Aoki as well has ties to M1 and that's why he'll go to Strikeforce. He's also a top 10 P4P fighter.

Of the top 10 P4P fighters, Strikeforce will have 4 if they sign Hendo(Hendo, Fedor, Aoki, Mousasi). UFC have 4(Machida, Silva, GSP, Penn) and the WEC has 2(Bowles, Aldo)

I don't Moussasi is top 10 yet. After the main 5 I have it Hendo, Aoki, Aldo, Bowles and either Shogun/Rampage or Nog. So I was wrong 7 and Mousasi will probably be top 10 after another win but not right now.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:44 am

Yeah fair point on Mousasi. He needs another win. Hopefully strikeforce get Arona and Filho. There are the two fights Mousasi wants.

Rampage is, at this moment, not a fighter. So he shouldn't be considered for any rankings IMO.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:02 pm

Ludicrous statement by white, and well timed given that lesnar is indefinately out / injured lol
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:06 pm

Dana knows better than all of us how well Brock is doing now, so i thought when he was willing to make this statement maybe he is confident Brock will comeback and fight next year.

Afterall he wouldnt be saying this sort of stuff if Brock is in serious condition and may never fight again...

I really hope Brock comes back 100% fit and healthy and ready to pick up where he left off.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:05 pm

I wasn't scoffing at brocks injury, I hope he comes back well too as he is a great prospect and a great draw. I was merely saying that dana is writing cheques he knows he can't cash because brock can't fight right now and fedor can
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:29 pm

No i didnt take it that your were scoffing at brocks injury, i was just saying that i took the statement of Dana willing to let Brock fight Fedor as a hint or a subliminal reassurance (if u will), that Brock is doing OK after his surgery and will hopefully be back to fight in near future.

In past few weeks some serious worrying news where coming out on not only Brocks career but health in general.
    So hope he recovering well.

But yeah even if Brock was fit and healthy now, he would not be fighting Fedor any time soon and certainly not for free anyway.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:45 pm

Yeah dana white may be many things but he isn't stupid enough to let that fight happen for nowt

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:59 pm