THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
Raiden
Paolo_73
Moose Stuff For Money...
pinsman
payneNglory1
wilksdaman
10 posters

Cain Vs Big Ben

wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Cain Vs Big Ben Empty Cain Vs Big Ben

Post  wilksdaman Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:40 pm

I gotta say, Big Ben looked good... for about the first fifteen seconds. I stuck a fiver on him because I know he is a big hitter, and was hoping he could catch Cain. It was so frustrating to watch, he looked so helpless when Cain was throwing him around like a ragdoll.

The stoppage was iminent, but definetly came earlier than it should have.

All in all, a strange evening of fights.

Anthony Johnson is one scary dude!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Cain Vs Big Ben Empty Re: Cain Vs Big Ben

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:10 pm

Cain deffinately look a league above Big Ben last night and in my eyes he looks like a fighter who is more than ready for a shot at the belt.

my only reservation about it is his punching power does seem very weak compared to most Heavies,which he more than makes up for with his great controll and wrestling but without the punch power,I don't think he would be able to controll or out wrestle a Brock Lesner.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:51 pm

I agree there payne, he has all the major qualitys to win the belt but just needs to work on that punching. If he did have that power he'd be deverstatingly good. Again last night showed that he can control guys much bigger and heavier than himself!!
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:59 pm

Cain looked impressive, the fight was probably stopped a bit early but the result wasn't going to change.

Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:35 pm

I think Cain looked awesome, definitely deserving of a title shot after that. I agree that he doesn't have the heaviest hands but the way he controlled Rothwell was very impressive.

I actually think the fight should have been stopped in the first round when Rothwell was taking serious punishment on the ground, he didn't know where he was at the end of it and his eyes were totally vacant while his corner were talking to him. In the second round I don't think he was in as much trouble at the precise moment when the fight was stopped, but he was in danger of getting seriously hurt if it was allowed to go on any longer......
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Raiden Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:58 pm

Cain's grappling skills and aggression are a joy to watch-very impressed
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:07 pm

One of the things that impressed me the most was how Cain made Rothwells size look absolutely irrelevant. Technically he's fantastic, you rarely see single leg takedowns like that, especially at heavyweight.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:59 pm

I agree he looked good. I had doubts over his punch resistance after the kongo fight though and his chin wasnt really tested against Rothwell. Add to the fact that he seems a bit of a pillow puncher and how good a wrestler Lesnar is and I just cant see him taking the belt away. Could be proven wrong though I suppose
    Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Cain Vs Big Ben Empty RE: Cain Vs Big Ben

Post  Raiden Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:21 pm

I'm starting to really like Cain as a fighter both times I've seen him he looked impressive-he has so many qualities.

I was hoping he could finish Ben a bit more convingly and I think he was too, nevertheless he done well is an amazing talent. I think he's gona improve and add more and more to his game.

At the moment I would imagine Lesnar is a bad matchup for him due to Brock's combination of atheticism, size and wrestling ability.

Cain's wrestling skills would hardly be anywhere near as effective against Brock

but I sense something special about Velasquez-One things for sure he'll have one hell of a crack at that Heavyweight Title
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:28 pm

Cain needs one more fight IMO. I think he needs to face a wrestler who could take him down. Just to see how he reacts. He's a future champ though

Cain V - the future of the HW division.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:18 pm

Wouldnt be suprised if Cain fights the winner of Carwin/Lesnar for the title, with Brock now moved to 108, i think they will schedule Mir-Nog after 107 (if Mir wins).

Or they could have Cain fight winner of JDS-Napao and winner gets title shot or something like that.

I hope its the former, as i think Cain is ready for title shot, i think he has the best chance in the division of dethroning Lesnar.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:21 pm

I agree.

Cain is still only 27 and the victory over Rothwell was only his 7th professional fight. The UFC has time to allow him to take a couple more fights before going for the belt, he could well be the number one heavyweight in the world one day.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:09 pm