THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
The_Axe_Emperor
Mryzyz
Albion_Oakley
Paolo_73
Sheldan
Moose Stuff For Money...
10 posters

BJ Penn v Fitch for number 1 contender

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

BJ Penn v Fitch for number 1 contender Empty BJ Penn v Fitch for number 1 contender

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:50 pm

UFC president Dana White confirmed Tuesday that the main event fight between B.J. Penn and Jon Fitch on Feb. 27 will determine the next No. 1 contender for the UFC welterweight championship.

"Let's face it, the reality is B.J. Penn has held titles in both weight classes," White said on the UFC 127 media call. "Fitch has fought for the title and has literally dominated that division for a long time, just didn't win the title. Any one of these guys that wins this fight is in the mix -- the No. 1 guy."

Penn (16-7-1) returned to welterweight last November and scored a 21-second knockout over Matt Hughes. Although it was only Penn's second welterweight win in the UFC since taking the title in 2004, his overall credentials have always left him position for the title.

"B.J. is dangerous in any weight class," Fitch said. "He has a certain type of skill set that if you make a mistake, he'll capitalize and put you away and that transfers into any weight class. At welterweight I have certain advantages with size, but it's not going to be enough. I've had to work a lot on speed and explosiveness and keeping everything tight so there are no mistakes in the fight."

The belt will next be in contention at UFC 129 on April 30 in Toronto when champion Georges St-Pierre makes his sixth straight title defense in a bout against former Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields. The winner of Penn vs. Fitch will have to see how UFC 129 plays out. White has also recently talked about a St-Pierre vs. Anderson Silva superfight if St-Pierre were to emerge victorious against Shields.

Fitch last challenged for the title against St-Pierre at UFC 87 on August 2008 and has won all five bouts since the loss. In fact, Fitch's only loss in the last eight years was against St-Pierre, but Fitch says his mind isn't on St-Pierre or title shots at this point.

"I don't really want to waste any time thinking about anything other than B.J. right now," Fitch said. "He's such a dangerous opponent and he's been around for so long and if I don't give him full attention and full focus, that would be a huge mistake."

Penn also declined to comment on if this could be his last run at a title.

"I'm not thinking about titles," Penn said. "I'm just happy to fight an opponent of Jon Fitch's level and Jon Fitch's stature."
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/02/15/dana-white-bj-penn-vs-jon-fitch-will-decide-next-no-1-contend/
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

BJ Penn v Fitch for number 1 contender Empty Re: BJ Penn v Fitch for number 1 contender

Post  Sheldan Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:23 am

Then when Fitch sits on Penn for 3 rounds, Dana will find some way to not have Fitch as the #1 contender.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

BJ Penn v Fitch for number 1 contender Empty Re: BJ Penn v Fitch for number 1 contender

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:22 am

BJ vs GSP again? Up there with Ken vs Tito 3 in terms of foregone conclusions.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:58 am

Bit pointless really. Fitch should already be number one contender, and I really cant see Penn miraculously finding a way to beat GSP.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:17 pm

The winner won't fight GSP though, will they? If/when GSP beats Shields he's off to fight Anderson.

Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:20 pm

A point well made!
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:58 pm

Doesn't mean he'll vacate the title though. BJ didn't when he fought GSP...
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:01 pm

Fitch vs (who?) for the vacant WW title?
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:09 pm

Fitch it is then prompting BJ to return back to LW.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:34 pm

Penn is his own biggest enemy sometimes, for the Diego Sanchez and Kflo fights he was in noticabally better shape....

BJ Penn v Fitch for number 1 contender 20091211024516_IMG_2907

He reportedly got rid of his strength and conditioning coaches and partied a lot with his Brother in Hawaii...

BJ Penn v Fitch for number 1 contender B-j-penn

Penn beat Edgar the 1st time, people seem to forget that has the bigger harder hitter he held the centre of the ring and landed more strikes. He was totally fucked over by the judges no two ways about it. I think he was though he could just get a rematch and coast to victory without stepping up his game... Penns biggest weakness was clear in the 2nd one, he doesnt like to train hard.

Penn is the most naturally gifted and well rounded guy MMA has ever seen but he is a rich man and lives in paradise, Marvin Hagler once said something like its hard to get up and train when your sleeping on silk sheets. I think this really sums up Penn. How Motivated he is depends on what showing he puts on.

I doubted 170 was a good move for him but he flattened Hughes. If he is motivated for this fight which he seems to be I think he beats Fitch who is a bit of a 1 trick Pony and certainly isnt going to outmuscle Penn the way GSP did.

Personally I think BJ Wins, I dont know wether GSP vs Anderson will happen for sure or wether GSP will even get by Shields who is perhaps the only better all round grappler than him but I think most people here are far too quick to dismiss Penn... He could certainly outstrike GSP like the did in the 1st fight that ended in SD with GSP looking like he took the worst of it. Working with Hughes he might be able to keep GSP off him because GSP cant finish him IMO.

Im really hoping Penn wins, he is a much more exciting figher than the other 3 top Welters, Sheilds cant strike for shit. GSP plays it safe and Fitch could finsih a McDonnalds happymeal.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:13 pm

I am hoping for Penn.

on another day he would be 1-1 with GSP and Edgar.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:52 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:

Penn beat Edgar the 1st time. He was totally fucked over by the judges no two ways about it.

No, he lost a close fight.

rudeboyben84 wrote:I think he beats Fitch who is a bit of a 1 trick Pony and certainly isnt going to outmuscle Penn the way GSP did.

Seriously???

rudeboyben84 wrote:Working with Hughes he might be able to keep GSP off him because GSP cant finish him IMO.

Er, yea, because Hughes could keep GSP off of him couldn't he...
    Rolling Eyes
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:09 am

When i saw the fight in Abu dhabi i was sure Edgar won, and when i re-watched it again i was convinced Frankie won.

But the strike stats say that BJ won 3 of the rounds scratch

Doesnt matter anyway, we all saw what happened at UFC 118. cheers

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 6:44 am