THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

3 posters

Hendo expects to re-sign with UFC and fight Marquardt !

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Hendo expects to re-sign with UFC and fight Marquardt ! Empty Hendo expects to re-sign with UFC and fight Marquardt !

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:07 pm

Following his UFC 100 knockout victory over Michael Bisping, Dan Henderson found himself in a rare spot for fighters: coming off a UFC win without any contracted fights left.

While UFC officials may have thought a new deal easily could be reached, the two sides apparently have very different opinions regarding what the 39-year-old fighter's services are worth.

But Henderson (25-7 MMA, 5-2 UFC), who earned a base pay of $250,000 ($150,00 of which was a win bonus) for the Bisping win, recently told HDNet's "Inside MMA" that he won't be heading to a rival organization.

"I don't plan on fighting anywhere else," said Henderson, who reportedly met with Strikeforce officials, during the Sept. 18 edition of the show. "It never even entered my mind that I'd be anywhere else. It's just something myself, Dana (White) and the other guys over there at the UFC, we need to sit down and figure it out for my next fight."

Before and after Henderson's win over Bisping in July, White said the former PRIDE champion would likely be the next to challenge for Anderson Silva's middleweight belt. But Silva, who defeated Henderson via second-round submission in March 2008, and his camp have expressed disinterest in a rematch. Silva, meanwhile, is expected to fight Vitor Belfort at UFC 108 in January.

Henderson hinted a fight with Nate Marquardt, a fellow top contender who's also suffered a previous loss to Silva, could be next.

"It doesn't look like it'll be him," Henderson said of Silva. "But my guess is my next two fights will be Marquardt and Anderson Silva. It doesn't matter to me which order they're in."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16538/dan-henderson-expects-to-re-sign-with-ufc-could-meet-nate-marquardt-next.mma
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Hendo expects to re-sign with UFC and fight Marquardt ! Empty Re: Hendo expects to re-sign with UFC and fight Marquardt !

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:10 pm

This is great news, it is absolutely silly for UFC and Dan not to come to an agreement. Hopefully all that that about Hendo and strikeforce was just to speed up contract negotiations between 2 parties. I dont think Dan wants to go to Strikeforce.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Hendo expects to re-sign with UFC and fight Marquardt ! Empty Re: Hendo expects to re-sign with UFC and fight Marquardt !

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:23 pm

NO I think they may have just thrown that rumour out there to make Dana and Co realise they could loose him, Maby they will meet halfway on the wages. I think Hendo is worth as much as any UFC fighter under contract. Hendo vs Marquardt and Hendo vs Silva would be a strange offer from UFC because if he looses he wont get the title fight... Strange he says this is the offer.

What about this for an Idea... UFC say Hendo can have a title fight agaisnt Anderson and they will give him a fat bonus if he wins (If he says he cant make UFC 108 against Vitor) They let Belfort fight Marquardt insted for a guarenteed number 1 contender spot? Could that happen? It would give Vitor a fight in the UFC at Mw.... Just an Idea.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:41 pm

I think its more that Hendo is confident that he can beat both rather than Dana offering him Silva after Nate regardless of the result.

I would like to see Nate against Vitor though.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:34 pm

I have heard a few people here and on other forums suggest bringing in an interim title at 185 division, i have always been against interim titles and i think GSP summed it up after he won the interim title he put it on the floor and said "i am not champion".

However this seems like a perfect time to bring it in, if Silva is injured and cant fight at 108, the could have Hendo-Belfort at 108 and give Hendo big bonus if he wins, and gets shot at Anderson when he returns....

If there was ever a time to bring it in, i think now is with Anderson injury, and fighting temporarily at 205, and Hendo wanting a title shot and Belfort already promised one.....
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:37 pm

But what about Nate then? I think Hendo would be willing to sit around scratching himself and waiting for a shot at Anderson, I think Nate and Vitor would rather fight each other than wait around, You get paid per fight after all so im sure either see it as an easier option and would guarentee a shot. I wouldnt mind Hendo or Vitor getting a shot as long as we see the clear cut top 4 185ers fight each other.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:53 pm

I think the best thing to do is have Nate fight Vitor and have Henderson fight Wanderlei in a rubber match. The give the winner of Hendo-Wandi the first shot at Silva, let the winner of Nate-Vitor batter Bisping to keep in shape and then take Silva. If Anderson wants a big fight, how about Anderson vs Tito if Tito gets throught Forrest.

So Nate fights Vitor, winner beats Bisping, then fights Anderson
    Hendo vs Wandi, winner fights Anderson
    Anderson fights Tito, then Hendo or Wandi, then Vitor or Nate.

That'd be Anderson's 3 fights over and done and there would be no1 left to say he didn't clear out his division and he'd get a nice pay cheque for the Tito fight.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:12 am