THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

3 posters

Joe Warren headed to the olympics

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Joe Warren headed to the olympics Empty Joe Warren headed to the olympics

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:37 pm

"I'm going to win the Olympics..."

Bellator featherweight champion Joe Warren (6-1 MMA, 4-0 BFC) plans on making a return to wrestling next year in an attempt to qualify for the 2012 London Olympic Games.

"I'm going to put the MMA on hold for six or seven months," Warren said. "I'm going to win the Olympics."

Warren won gold medals at both the 2006 World Championships and Pan-American Championships, as well as the 2007 World Cup.

He was a favorite for the 2008 Beijing Games, but was pulled from the qualifying trials after testing positive for marijuana. Now he has something to prove.

"I'm in a position right now where I'm the best wrestler in the world," Warren said. "My technique is there, and I have my coaches. Right now, I'm physically better than I've ever been. Fighting is helping that. I still train at the Olympic Training Center three or four times a week. I believe I can win this Olympic championship. It's the only thing I didn't win in wrestling."

There's also a matter of the USA Wrestling "Living the Dream Medal Fund," which offers $250,000 for a gold medal.

"Wrestling is not the same," Warren said. "People do it their whole life to win, and if they're not winning now, they're not going to start winning 10 years out of their prime for money. If that was the case before, then these guys would still be around. However, I'm happy to have any guys come out of retirement and do whatever. Make sure you come out of retirement in my weightclass because I'll kick your [expletive] ass."

But Warren still has plans for MMA in the future.

"I'll fight February for Bellator, July for Bellator, then enter the 135-pound tournament for Bellator," Warren said. "Then I will stop fighting in December of next year and win the Olympics. I would like to win the gold, win the 135-pound belt, defend my 145-pound belt, and then come win some other belts. I believe I can get it done. It's my love. I've done it my whole life. I'm going to go get a gold medal in London, and it's $250,000, so come on."

Warren said he's ready for the challenge.

"Wrestling is a progression sport," Warren said. "You get better with age. It's skill level, it's technique, it's muscle memory. If you're older and still not hurt and ready to rock and roll, then why not get it done? Not a lot of people can do it. I believe I can."

Credit: MMAJunkie

Interesting, he seems to rate his chances highly. This rules out any possible signing with the UFC, which I think is a good thing because Bellator can then continue to grow. He's quite ambitious looking for 2 belts as well as training for the Olympics.

How do the more wrestling-knowledgeable posters rate his chances, does he have a genuine chance to win gold?

Also, do people think him winning gold is good for MMA as a whole? An Olympic medal around his neck is a HUGE boost to mma's mainstream credibility. The 3rd/4th biggest organization has two of the best wrestlers in the world both Olympic caliber.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Joe Warren headed to the olympics Empty Re: Joe Warren headed to the olympics

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:15 pm

I don't know that much about the standard of wrestlers that he'll be going up against and how he now matches up with them,but what i do know is that wrestling is struggling in the states at the moment and having the Bellator champ competing has got to be good for both wrestling in the states and MMA as a whole,plus it gets Bellators name out there even more.

I know I'll be cheering him on at the Olympics.
    Toquinho
    Toquinho
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Toquinho Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:24 pm

i would probably go and see him wrestle if i can as its in london. I dont know how he will do or if its good for wrestling, but at least the sport will probably gain more interest and viewers from mma fans

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:46 am