THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
payneNglory1
Anfields5thKing
Once Mohawked Pete
p4pnumber_1
poz
Ginginho
10 posters

MMA Prospects at the Olympics

Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

MMA Prospects at the Olympics Empty MMA Prospects at the Olympics

Post  Ginginho Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:47 am

Does anybody know any names to watch out for at the Olympics in any of the combat sports or any that could move to MMA? Particularly wrestling, which seems to be the new breeding ground for the modern "Ultimate Fighter", or judo (Anfield??), or tae kwon do.

Or just any masters of their sport that would be good to watch in their own domain.

poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

MMA Prospects at the Olympics Empty Re: MMA Prospects at the Olympics

Post  poz Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:22 pm

p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:09 pm

The top 2 in terms of mma prospects for me are :

-Jordan Burroughs in Freestyle Wrestling (2 time NCAA 1 champ)

-Travis Stevens in Judo (Trains at Renzo Gracie and is a brown belt in Gracie Jui Jitsu)

Then of course you have Lomachenko in the Boxing, who is definately worth watching. Also Alvarez Estrada of Cuba in the 56kg division.

I'll also be following the Irish and GB boys and hope them all the best. 100% record so far Very Happy

Mick Conlon for gold in the 52kg category.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:56 pm

Really looking forward to seeing Jordan Burroughs in the wrestling, surely he'll be considering a career in MMA, before too long. Also interested in seeing this bloke in the Greco-Roman ....

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:20 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:The top 2 in terms of mma prospects for me are :

-Jordan Burroughs in Freestyle Wrestling (2 time NCAA 1 champ)

-Travis Stevens in Judo (Trains at Renzo Gracie and is a brown belt in Gracie Jui Jitsu)

Then of course you have Lomachenko in the Boxing, who is definately worth watching. Also Alvarez Estrada of Cuba in the 56kg division.

I'll also be following the Irish and GB boys and hope them all the best. 100% record so far Very Happy

Mick Conlon for gold in the 52kg category.

Travis Stevens isn't up to much. He's decent but nothing special. The Canadian kid that beat him has talent though, seems really driven and intelligent as well so he might be worth watching.

Working at these Olympics is brilliant, get into all the events for free. Cycling at the Velodrome has been the definite highlight so far for me, that and seeing Phelps swim his last individual race today. Without question the greatest Olympian of all time. Hope he can cap it off with another medal tomorrow in the relay, really nice guy. With the Judo over I've been taking in as many events as possible. Going to the 100m first round tomorrow. Met Usain Bolt at the opening ceremony, he's much bigger than I thought he'd be. US basketball team are all enormous as well. Wasn't looking forward to these Olympics the way I did the last 3 but loving it now that they're on. Some incredible feats thus far.

Shame we didn't do better, had some tough draws and some just under-performed. Got a bronze in the women's half lightweight though with little Rosa pulling off a bit of a shock.

As for Judo to MMA prospects it's very hard to say to be honest. Of the ones I thought would make good crossovers I've been told that they don't have any plans to make the switch.

The men's Judo competition was of a lower standard than it was 4 years ago but I thought the women's competition was extremely good this time around.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:18 am

Nice 1 Anfield,you lucky sod.
    I'd love to be there.

I've been thoroughly enjoying these Olympics,there's such amazing talent in the world,that I find myself glued watching in awe at sports,male and female,that i wouldn't usually give a crap about.
    That's the beauty of the Olympics,it's emotional,inspiring,it basically represents everything that makes sports so great(except boxing officiating of coarse) Evil or Very Mad
    I've hardly got any work done at all this week,can't keep away from my TV.

There's not many things in life that get me choked up,but some of these stories and great feats that happen at every Olympics get me every time.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:24 pm

Nice one Anfield! Must be some experience that! Would've loved to went to a few events myself.

Not an MMA prospect.. but did anyone watch Katie Taylor today? Unreal!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:48 pm

Was at Katie's fight. She was brilliant. As was John Joe Nevin yesterday.

Katie could succeed at MMA if she wanted to. She's one of the most talented athletes I've ever come across. She plays international football for Ireland as well remember, so her leg kicks would likely be excellent. She does kickboxing training, has done for years on and off. Give her a year working with a top level grappler and she could walk into women's MMA and do very well.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:45 am

Katie Taylor is a brilliant boxer, head and shoulders above the competition.
    ive been quite impressed with the female boxers overall though i had very low expectations.

John Joe Nevin will win the final I think, against the british fighter. not a fan of Nevin's though.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:10 pm

Words can't describe my love for Katie Taylor!! Unbelievable talent

As for Nevin, I personally think that he's the best boxer in Ireland, followed closely by a man who wasn't even at the Olympics (Joe Ward)

Nevin is so consistent and is incredibly ring crafty. I remember Paddy Barnes telling me he's the worst person to spar, as hes impossible to get near. Out of curiosity, why you not a fan?
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:13 pm

Also Burroughs won gold by the way. I think its a cert we'll see him in MMA soon. Although I did read theres talk of him focusing on Rio
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:18 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:Words can't describe my love for Katie Taylor!! Unbelievable talent

As for Nevin, I personally think that he's the best boxer in Ireland, followed closely by a man who wasn't even at the Olympics (Joe Ward)

Nevin is so consistent and is incredibly ring crafty. I remember Paddy Barnes telling me he's the worst person to spar, as hes impossible to get near. Out of curiosity, why you not a fan?

Best fighter in Ireland, not the best in the Olympics though Very Happy

Viva Luke Campbell cheers
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:28 pm

Gold silver and 2 Bronze, loving the Boxing this year!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:33 pm

that was a close final between Taylor and Nevin, great fighters both of them.
    I was cheering on Nevin actually just because it would be nice to see an olympics champion from Mullingar.

Not a fan of the man himself , he's known as a troublemaker much like the rest of his family.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:44 pm

There would have been some discounts on gates, carpets and tarmac in Mullingar tomorrow had he won!

Aye, there are a lot of stories about his family being trouble-makers and him not keeping enough of a distance (or any distance). Still, fair play to the kid.

Ireland sent 6 boxers to the Olympics and will take home 4 medals, that's fucking impressive. Imagine what they'd do with proper funding.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:30 am

Sheldan wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:Words can't describe my love for Katie Taylor!! Unbelievable talent

Best fighter in Ireland, not the best in the Olympics though Very Happy

Viva Luke Campbell cheers

Haha fair play to Campbell,he looked awesome tonight. Smile
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:07 am

In case anyone is wondering, Katie Taylor, while pretty in pictures, is much better looking in person. Such a nice girl. Honestly wouldn't think she was famous at all the way she carries herself.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:36 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:There would have been some discounts on gates, carpets and tarmac in Mullingar tomorrow had he won!

Aye, there are a lot of stories about his family being trouble-makers and him not keeping enough of a distance (or any distance). Still, fair play to the kid.

Ireland sent 6 boxers to the Olympics and will take home 4 medals, that's fucking impressive. Imagine what they'd do with proper funding.

Ive heard stories about the family but didnt know John Joe was a bad kid... suppose its kind of to be expected.

He really had a hard road to the final, I reckon if he hadnt have drawn the Cuban the Final might have been different because they are 1-1 in previous fights before that and Nevins win was more decisive.

I reckon Ireland need to put half their funding into Boxing, its clearly the sport we excel at, its not liek were ever going to produce a pale ginger that can do the 100m's in under 10 seconds! Laughing

What did people think of the Shw final? I think that big Brit got the hardest route to a gold, a Cuban, a 6"7 and a 6"9 guy then that Italian, I had him loosing to the Cuban and to the Italian, that gold was by the skin of his teeth. Big Physical guy though, Id say he should sharpen his technique in another olmpyics before going Pro seeing as he is only 20.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:02 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:There would have been some discounts on gates, carpets and tarmac in Mullingar tomorrow had he won!

Ive heard stories about the family but didnt know John Joe was a bad kid... suppose its kind of to be expected.

He really had a hard road to the final, I reckon if he hadnt have drawn the Cuban the Final might have been different because they are 1-1 in previous fights before that and Nevins win was more decisive.

I reckon Ireland need to put half their funding into Boxing, its clearly the sport we excel at, its not liek were ever going to produce a pale ginger that can do the 100m's in under 10 seconds! Laughing

What did people think of the Shw final? I think that big Brit got the hardest route to a gold, a Cuban, a 6"7 and a 6"9 guy then that Italian, I had him loosing to the Cuban and to the Italian, that gold was by the skin of his teeth. Big Physical guy though, Id say he should sharpen his technique in another olmpyics before going Pro seeing as he is only 20.

I also had him losing to the Cuban and the Itallian, but yeah, he certainly has the size, but not massively impressed with his technique (although I did only see the semi and final), he seemed to have a terrible tendancy to fall into his punches and looked off balance more than once. All depends on how he developes (technique wise more than owt), hopefully we'll not have another Fraudley on our hands.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:57 pm

The English SHW? He lost. Clear as day he lost. Absolutely no way he wins that fight in any other competition or in any other country.

And he lost to the Cuban.

He needs to stay amatuer until after Rio. He'd get murdered if he turned pro now.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:08 pm

William Hill are offering odds of 6/1 that Joshua will win either a WBO/IBF/WBC/WBA world heavyweight title by 2020.

For those unfamiliar with betting, that means if you place a £10 bet, you lose £10.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Yeah theres no doubt he lost, complete disgrace imo. He shouldnt have even been there though, as he lost to the Cuban also, for sure. Perfect examples of hometown decisions.

However, what this guy has achieved is unbelievable. What you have to remember is when Camarelle won his gold in Beijing 4 years ago, Anthony Joshua had'nt even set foot in a boxing gym. Now 4 years later he has won olympic gold. So fair play to him in that sense. He's still extremely green, but he's a great prospect if he sticks at it.I agree, I dont think he is ready for the pros, he should stay amateur until after Rio.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:15 pm

With yet another successful Olympics for Irish Boxing. I do hope the IABA get their acts together now before it is too late. They have to get their heads together and offer Billy, Zaur and Pete decent new contracts. Before some other organisation comes along and steal them from under our noses. Errors have been made in the past. But now is the time to build on the teams success.

They are blaming Australia's poor medal count on Aussie coaches working in the US and China, the top 2 medal total winners. Do not be suprised if the Irish coaches are head hunted and offered deals.

Also, with Katie Taylor at the forefront, I was extremely impressed with the women's boxing. The British girl who won gold was also very impressive. I am delighted to hear that Rio will have 5 womans weight catagories.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Sheldan wrote:William Hill are offering odds of 6/1 that Joshua will win either a WBO/IBF/WBC/WBA world heavyweight title by 2020.

For those unfamiliar with betting, that means if you place a £10 bet, you lose £10.

Possibly my favourite ever post on the Armbar.
    Laughing
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:15 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    Sheldan wrote:William Hill are offering odds of 6/1 that Joshua will win either a WBO/IBF/WBC/WBA world heavyweight title by 2020.

Possibly my favourite ever post on the Armbar.
    Laughing

Haha!!

The funny thing is, I actually don't think it's a bad bet. Both Klitschkos and Haye will be long gone by 2020, and although he's still knew to the sport, by 8 years time he could be an absolute monster, not too mention he'll be in his physical prime!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:43 am