THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+11
Sheldan
Sly Uses
redmeanie77
efils_god
paul815
Once Mohawked Pete
hendos_right_hook
the_king
sunthunder
Anfields5thKing
mikeyboybisping
15 posters

Bisping on Rivera

mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Bisping on Rivera Empty Bisping on Rivera

Post  mikeyboybisping Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:01 pm

Sounds like Rivera is acting like a tool, you can say what you want about Mike but the dude will fight anyone. He deserves a better fight than Rivera...

Michael Bisping's bout agreement was signed the moment Jorge Rivera (18-7 MMA, 8-5 UFC) called him out.

Bisping (20-3 MMA, 10-3 UFC) said there was no other choice than to say yes, even if Rivera wasn't in his crosshairs.

"I had to take the fight just to shut him up," he today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

As MMAjunkie.com earlier reported, the two will meet at UFC 127, which takes place Feb. 27 at Acer Arena in Sydney, Australia. This past February, Bisping co-headlined the promotion's first trip Down Under at UFC 110 and fell short on points to Wanderlei Silva.

Bisping maintains he won that fight, though he's moved on from it enough to consider a rematch a wish instead of a necessity. That's not at all how he feels about a matchup with Rivera, who said he not only wants to beat Bisping but beat him in a way that's not printable. Rivera's manager has also questioned Bisping's manhood online.

He had asked to face Nate Marquardt next; the perennial contender had just lost a title eliminator bout against Yushin Okami on the very card that saw Rivera's co-main event bout canceled due to the illness of opponent Alessio Sakara. Marquardt would be a smart fight to take. A win would move him closer to title contention.

But it wouldn't satisfy his urge to silence Rivera.

"He's acting like an [expletive], and nothing but an [expletive]," Bisping said. "He's not being professional. He's just being a prick."

Of course, the Brit understands there is an obvious strategy in such tact. Rivera wants a big fight to build his career, and Bisping is an opponent who's been on a few marquees. There's no other beef between them, as far as he knows. They've met several times and exchanged pleasantries, even prior to his winning campaign on "The Ultimate Fighter 3." But it's a strategy he's seen before. In fact, he thinks it's downright fashionable to trash him.

"They're all just jumping on the bandwagon that it's cool to hate Bisping," Bisping said. "I don't give anyone any [expletive]. I live in a tiny town in the northwest of England. I don't bump into anyone. I'm not going around to all the fights and bigwigging it and going to parties and getting in everyone's face and talking [expletive].

"I'm looking after my three kids and keeping a low profile. These [expletive] jump on the bandwagon (and think) it's cool to hate Bisping, and they all talk [expletive] trying to score points."

Still, it's an easy decision to make. Call him out? OK – you asked for it.

"I didn't want to take the fight because I feel he's beneath me," Bisping said. "But I have to take the fight now and teach him a lesson.

"People say I talk a lot of trash and talk a lot of [expletive], and I disagree. I tend to keep it respectful for the most part until people start attacking me and talking [expletive] about me. Obviously, I'm going to respond to that."

And now that the verbal fire has started, there's no point in shying away from it.

"I'll do my talking in the cage," he said before a pause. "Well, I probably won't. I'll probably talk [expletive] for the next eight weeks."

In the meantime, here's one for kindling: "Enjoy your time as co-main event while it lasts because you'll be back to the undercard after this one," Bisping said.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21562/bisping-wasnt-interested-in-rivera-at-ufc-127-now-hell-teach-opponent-a-lesson.mma
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Bisping on Rivera Empty Re: Bisping on Rivera

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:20 pm

Bisping is just being fed another can, nothing more. Rivera probably got a nice bonus to call him out.

Would be so nice if Rivera sparked him though.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Bisping said. "He's not being professional. He's just being a prick."

That reminds me of someone. Not sure who exactly though...
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:41 pm

i actually hope we see bisping KO him the ko he has promised us for about 5 years.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Say if Rivera knocked him out...not that I want that or anything Rolling Eyes...where would that leave Bispings career. Wouldn't see him making any waves again in that division.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:11 pm

We can but pray that Bisping gets KTFO, but, we all know that he's being fed a can (even if it is one that he probably won't be able to KO). Boring UD win for the mouthy one, followed by a semi-decent opponent and the innevitable end of Bispings relevence.
    paul815
    paul815
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  paul815 Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:48 pm

disapointed with this fight. you cant fight everyone who talks trash about you. its a step backwards for bisping. probably a no risk fight to make sure he can do tuf with sonnen next year?
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:13 am

I think he'll beat Rivera unfortunately, he's a middle of the road fighter.

The good thing is he'll then go on TUF and get totally schooled by Sonnen, which will be VERY fun to watch!!

I literally see no way Bisping wins that fight. He's never KOing Sonnen, or subbing him, and a UD goes to Sonne for sure.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:45 pm

lol! lol!

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:57 pm

riviera seems like a fun guy away from the ufc.
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:25 pm

LOL. That was hilarious

anyone know who the guy doing the Bisping impersonation is?
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Haha that's a nice reference! Good to see Rivera likes british comedy. Bisping's gonna hate that haha

Do you think Rivera may goad him into not running away (ie. in and out for the whole fight to a UD) and get the brawl he wants??
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:50 am

I think Bisping will get Maia if/when he wins this fight. I think he has good enough takedown defense to keep the fight standing, and then control the action on the feet, perhaps even getting a late stoppage.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Sheldan wrote:I think Bisping will get Maia if/when he wins this fight. I think he has good enough takedown defense to keep the fight standing, and then control the action on the feet, perhaps even getting a late stoppage.

Bisping getting a stoppage? Surely that must be a typo? I see this fight heading the same way that most of Bitchpings fights....Pitter patter punches from distance, in and out and points scoring his way to an inevitable UD, unless my hopes are answered and Jorge lands a big right onto his glass-like jaw and knocks him the fuck out.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    Sheldan wrote:I think Bisping will get Maia if/when he wins this fight. I think he has good enough takedown defense to keep the fight standing, and then control the action on the feet, perhaps even getting a late stoppage.

Bisping getting a stoppage? Surely that must be a typo? I see this fight heading the same way that most of Bitchpings fights....Pitter patter punches from distance, in and out and points scoring his way to an inevitable UD, unless my hopes are answered and Jorge lands a big right onto his glass-like jaw and knocks him the fuck out.

I said after this fight if he gets Maia I think he'll be able to get a late stoppage against Maia.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Sorry about that mate.

Cannot see him getting the stoppage against Maia either, he's only got one stoppage on his record, just cannot see Bitchping having the power to stop anyone of any note.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:04 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:Sorry about that mate.

Cannot see him getting the stoppage against Maia either, he's only got one stoppage on his record, just cannot see Bitchping having the power to stop anyone of any note.

Hmm, I think Bisping would be more confindent to stand with Maia, Maia doesn't really pose a threat on the feet, and I think if Bisping would stay on the inside and bang he may be able to finish him late. That is if UFC would give him Maia after this next fight.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Sheldan wrote:

Hmm, I think Bisping would be more confindent to stand with Maia, Maia doesn't really pose a threat on the feet, and I think if Bisping would stay on the inside and bang he may be able to finish him late. That is if UFC would give him Maia after this next fight.

Do you think Bisping can keep it standing against Maia though, I would seriously doubt it? Unless he hits him with a prancing horsesorry flying knee on the way in!
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:13 pm

poz wrote:
    Sheldan wrote:

Do you think Bisping can keep it standing against Maia though, I would seriously doubt it? Unless he hits him with a prancing horsesorry flying knee on the way in!

Bisping has good takedown defense, when he fought Rashad I can remember him stuffing most of Rashad's takedown attempts, and in my opinion I thought Bisping won that fight, I'd say Rashad has been takedowns than Maia, so I think he would be able to keep it standing.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:24 pm

Sheldan wrote:
    poz wrote:
    Sheldan wrote:

Bisping has good takedown defense, when he fought Rashad I can remember him stuffing most of Rashad's takedown attempts, and in my opinion I thought Bisping won that fight, I'd say Rashad has been takedowns than Maia, so I think he would be able to keep it standing.

It's been a while since I have watched the fight, memories not what it used to be. Old age etc. etc. But, I have memories of Rashad taking Bitchping down numerous times, I don't think that there was any doubt (in my mind anyway) that Evans won the fight. It was nowhere near as bad a decision as his 'win'against Hammill.

As I've said in the past though, I have a completely biased view point towards Bitchping, and find it extremely difficult to grant him any credit.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote: It's been a while since I have watched the fight, memories not what it used to be. Old age etc. etc. But, I have memories of Rashad taking Bitchping down numerous times, I don't think that there was any doubt (in my mind anyway) that Evans won the fight. It was nowhere near as bad a decision as his 'win'against Hammill.

As I've said in the past though, I have a completely biased view point towards Bitchping, and find it extremely difficult to grant him any credit.

Yeah the fight he had with Hamill was a joke, Hamill won that hands down. There is no doubt that Bisping is a good fighter, I know a lot of people don't have the time for him, but he's English and I like to support the English fighters, personally I think he would be able to beat Maia, but with Silva still at the helm, Bisping, nor anybody for that matter can have a real hope of becoming champion.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Sheldan wrote:
    poz wrote:
    Sheldan wrote:

Only my opinion, but I would think Maia would only need to get him down once or twice. Evans did get him down several times (i think?), and I think being taken down by a guy like Maia is a little different too, I think he would be able to work to better positions than Evans?
    All hypothetical, anyway
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:35 pm

poz wrote:Only my opinion, but I would think Maia would only need to get him down once or twice. Evans did get him down several times (i think?), and I think being taken down by a guy like Maia is a little different too, I think he would be able to work to better positions than Evans?
    All hypothetical, anyway

Yeah good point, if Maia does get him down then I think he'll do a lot more work on the bottom than what Evans did, plus anybody is in trouble when Maia has them down.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:48 pm

I think Maia would manage to take him down. Maybe not straight away, aut he would at some point during 15 minutes. After that, it would not last long.

The fight that would be fun (for people of an anti-Bisping sway) would be Bisping-Palhares.

Here we have a guy who could walk through his punches, has heavy hands, and could sub him as soon as it hit the ground.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Maia would take him down and submit him with relative ease, i'm sure of it. Maia is on a whole nother level to Bisping.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:40 am