THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
Once Mohawked Pete
the_king
6 posters

Contender or not? Couture wants UFC, fans and media to make a decision

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Contender or not? Couture wants UFC, fans and media to make a decision Empty Contender or not? Couture wants UFC, fans and media to make a decision

Post  the_king Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:18 pm

Randy Couture is in a holding pattern. The 47-year-old doesn't want to retire from fighting, but he also wants folks in and around the MMA world to show him some respect. In his last two fights, he smashed one older dude in Mark Coleman and buried James Toney, an unqualified opponent. UFC president Dana White said Couture is top five or six at light heavyweight, so he wants to be in there with one of the best.
    It sounds like he's done with fights booked primarily to help sell pay-per-views.

"My last two fights were of the novelty nature," Couture told Joyce Valdes from RawVegas.tv. "I've been through the wars; I've had the battles. I don't know if I see myself stepping up for any more of those kinds of battles. And there's a lot of tough guys in the division at 205 (pounds) right now."

Fans, media and the UFC need to decide whether they want to see Couture make another championship run.

"I think style-wise I match up better against (Mauricio) "Shogun" Rua or (Lyoto) Machida but I don't know if the UFC wants to throw me in for a title fight right away," said Couture.

If he doesn't get a big fight, Couture sounds like he's comfortable walking away from MMA. When he said this to a British blogger around the time of UFC 120, fans freaked out.

"The chatter is always funny because when I'm actively fighting, they're like 'we think Randy should retire' and then (when there's) the inkling that I might actually retire, and everybody goes 'no, no, no stay in, fight some more.' You know, make up your mind," said Couture.

It appears that the retirement talk was an attempt to send the message - it's a big-name opponent or bust.

Can Couture beat guys in the top five like Rua, Machida, Quinton Jackson or Rashad Evans? Don't scoff. Back in 2007, most of us thought that he had no shot to regain the UFC heavyweight title at age 44 and he did. Couture's been a good company man and is far from finished. He deserves to go out on his own terms

Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Contender or not? Couture wants UFC, fans and media to make a decision Empty Re: Contender or not? Couture wants UFC, fans and media to make a decision

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:27 pm

As much as I respect the man, and his place in MMA history. I really cannot see Randy being a title contender at LHW. I'm sure there are those that will disagree, but, I see Machida and Evans being too quick and elusive for him, and Rua being too destructive for him. Rampage, I'm not so sure about, but would still back against Randy.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Contender or not? Couture wants UFC, fans and media to make a decision Empty Re: Contender or not? Couture wants UFC, fans and media to make a decision

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:12 pm

I agree with Pete, i like randy but look at his recent fights:

Toney - of no consequence at all.

Coleman - looked good against the worst Coleman ever, seriously its the only fight in Marks career where he hasnt shot for a double leg!! what was he thinking?

Vera - wall and stalled his way to a controversial victory, did zero damage, barely took him down at all in 15 minutes of attempting takedowns, and got dropped twice.

Nog - got his ass kicked by a guy who looked like a xombie in his fights immediatley before, and immediatley after!!

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:01 pm

I love Randy,but I completely agree that he gets beat by any of the contenders in either Division,LHW or HW,but even knowing that,I'd still love Randy to go out on a huge fight,it just doesn't seem right with the Toney win being his last fight,he deserves to go out in a fight that actually means something to his fans.

Even though he's in no way deserving of a shot at either and I'm sure he would get beat,I'd love to see him retire on a Shogun or a Silva fight.

Win or lose after his service to the UFC and for his fans,he deserves to sign off against a champ,and being completely biased,I don't give a shit if he is deserving of a shot or not at either,he still deserves the chance to finish his UFC career,in a manner fitting to the legend that he is.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:06 pm

I think the Vera and Nog fights showed where he is at, It wasnt like he wasnt competitive but they arent title challengers and they battered him...

Couture said himself Physically he isnt the man he was 10 years ago despite being a better fighter...

I dont want him thrown in to a title fight or against a number 1 contender. I want him to go out with a meaningfull fight.

Wanderlei Silva is the only fight that makes sence IMO.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:52 pm

I think if Wand came in in-shape he'd KO Couture easy. Failing that, a boring Randy UD would be the most likely outcome.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:46 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:I think if Wand came in in-shape he'd KO Couture easy. Failing that, a boring Randy UD would be the most likely outcome.

i agree as much as i like randy he will wall and stall for 3 rnds.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:52 am