THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
elmatadorafa
George_Louis_Costanza@who
ChelseaQuinsfan
Moose Stuff For Money...
rudeboyben84
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
Heterocyclic
payneNglory1
13 posters

Nelson / Dos Santos For #1 Contender

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Nelson / Dos Santos For #1 Contender Empty Nelson / Dos Santos For #1 Contender

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:09 am

LAS VEGAS – UFC president Dana White called Saturday night's UFC 116 main event between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin "the biggest heavyweight fight in UFC history," and he's not wasting any time figuring out what comes next in the division.

As White promised to MMAjunkie.com before this weekend's event, Cain Velasquez (8-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC) will indeed get the next crack at the title.

Second in line has already been determined, too, as White announced to a small group of reporters following UFC 116's post-event press conference that the winner of the UFC 117 bout between Junior Dos Santos and Roy Nelson will have the next crack at the title.

"You're going to see Cain and Brock fight," White said. "Then coming up, Dos Santos is going to fight 'Big Country,' and the winner of that fight will get the next shot."

Dos Santos and Nelson meet on the main card of UFC 117, which takes place Aug. 7 in Oakland, Calif.

Lesnar (5-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) returned to action for the first time since July 2009's UFC 100 event with an impressive second-round submission win over Carwin to unify the UFC's heavyweight titles. Lesnar was force to sit out for one year while battling a life-threatening case of diverticulitis.

When he'll return again has yet to be determined, but Lesnar hinted at the evening's post-event press conference that he's like to spend a little time at home.

"I'm expecting a baby in two weeks," Lesnar said. "My wife's been a trooper. She's been pregnant for 18 months these past two years.

"I'm going home tonight. I'm going to visit some family when I get home, and I've got some combining. I'm a farmer now, and I'm doing what I love to do. I've got some combining to do this fall, and I want to shoot a white-tailed deer and spend time with my family."

White said after the press conference that he'll likely be relying on his famed champion to return to action sooner rather than later.

"I've got to talk to Brock," White said. "Farming sounds fun and everything, but it's not what pays the bills."

I wonder where Carwin fits back into the Title picture,maybe the loser of either Brock,Cain or JDS,Big Country or will he get a middle of the road HW,to keep him active

I don't for a second think that big country is going to beat JDS,but the idea of Big Country fighting Brock (or Cain Evil or Very Mad) for the title sounds mad to me Laughing

Nelson / Dos Santos For #1 Contender Roy-Nelson-Belly-Rub
    Heterocyclic
    Heterocyclic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Nelson / Dos Santos For #1 Contender Empty Re: Nelson / Dos Santos For #1 Contender

Post  Heterocyclic Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:27 am

Come on Roy!!!!

I'm not sure if Brock will be able to deal with Cain's speed, but he did very well against Shane.

Cain v JDS could happen sooner than we all thought...
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Nelson / Dos Santos For #1 Contender Empty Re: Nelson / Dos Santos For #1 Contender

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:16 pm

It makes sense, but who will Mir, Nog and Carwin be fighting next?

I think Carwin-Nog and Mir-Gonzaga.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:14 pm

So Cain's first defence will be against either Big Country or JDS, be a good test for the new champ.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:20 pm

Laughing

I think I would back Cain against any other HW in the UFC,but I don't think his style is best suited for Lesner.

We will see.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:39 pm

Lesnars BJJ coach said he would bet his Job Lesnar will win agisnt Cain! I think JDS would be better suited to beat Brock than Cain, but I just wonder what Lesnar will be like when someone comes at him all guns blazing and backs him up. Cain looks to have balls enough to try it.

Nog vs Crocop next I think. Crocop has been talking about it and saying thats the fight he wouldnt refuse. I think UFC should do it.

Mir should fight Gonzaga, he needs an easier fight to get back into contention again and Gonzaga is the ultimete launching pad for Heavies isnt he! Laughing

Carwin? Thats a tough one, shame Duffee got beat or id say him! Travis Browne was my initial thought?
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:39 pm

I'd say Dos Santos is the man who would be best suited to pick Lesnar apart.

I'd back Velsaquez to beat Dos Santos though.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:02 am

Hopefully JDS will KO Nelson. I like Nelson nowadays but JDS is my favourite HW right now and I think he can provide more of a challenge to Velasquez or Lesnar. He has the power to KO both and has better standup than both. His problem in that fight would be how he defends the takedowns and how he fights off his back.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:23 am

I think it will be a top striker or a top BJJ guy that beats Brock and Cain as good and well rounded that he is ,is neither of these.

aside from Fedor,JDS or Werdum would be my picks at having the best chance at beating brock.

I'm holding fire on Overeem,though he is great fun to watch,cause personally I think he still needs to prove himself against some top HW's before we can see if he is that much better than when he was fighting good guys a LHW.

Brett Rogers for me is not a top HW.
    He struggled to beat Abongo before the 22 sec Arlovski KO,put up abit of a fight against Fedor but still got destroyed and then was demolished by Reem.
    and all the HW's Reem faced before that were mostly bums at best.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:29 am

Carwin was beating him easily, and it wasn't his power that put Lesnar on the ground. Lesnar flopped to the ground to avoid getting hit. Cain has better striking and the cardio of a LHW. His takedown defense will be good enough to keep him on his feet and he'll beat Lesnar standing.

Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:23 am

I see Roy pulling off the upset so many are seeing this as a gimme for JDS but If Roy can get him down and keep him down that JDS hype train will be brutally derailed I'm going with the Big Man I would love to see the reaction the UFC big wigs will have If Nelson becomes HW Champion. Very Happy

I'm surprised some of you think JDS is the man to beat Lesnar I just don't see it Lesnar will have about 30-40lbs on him I see Lesnar taking him down and over whelming him.

The only men I would say have a chance are Fedor, Cain & Ubereem
    elmatadorafa
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  elmatadorafa Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:43 pm

How do people see Brock-Cain going? I think Cain will win, but i cant see how he does it Laughing

I dont think Cain can tko him, or sub him. And i cant see Brock in a fight for 25 mins, without getting a takedown.

We could very well see another fight where brock struggles in the stand up at the start, and then getting a takedown and win.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:20 pm

I am hoping for a Cain win too, i think if he keeps the distance he can get the TKO win. He'll need to mix it up too with leg kicks etc, whilst avoiding the dangers of a Lesnar takedown. He should have much better cardio than carwin too, and his striking has been improving every time we've seen him, especially against Nog.

Brock is such a monster though he'll have a large weight advantage. However, i'll pick Cain TKO2 (letting my heart rule my head!)

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:38 pm

George_Louis_Costanza@who wrote:I see Roy pulling off the upset so many are seeing this as a gimme for JDS but If Roy can get him down and keep him down that JDS hype train will be brutally derailed I'm going with the Big Man I would love to see the reaction the UFC big wigs will have If Nelson becomes HW Champion. Very Happy

I'm surprised some of you think JDS is the man to beat Lesnar I just don't see it Lesnar will have about 30-40lbs on him I see Lesnar taking him down and over whelming him.

The only men I would say have a chance are Fedor, Cain & Ubereem

If Roy puts JDS on his back then it becomes a completely different fight. Roy could very easily sub him if it goes to the ground.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:47 pm

JDS trains regularly with the Nogs, Aldo, Filho, Machida, Anderson, Jacare, Cavalcante and Nino Schembri... I'd bank on him having a pretty good ground game.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:48 pm

And there's always Mark Munoz as well, so his wrestling shouldn't be 'Dan Hardy bad'.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Nelson is world class on the ground. JDS skills are in his stand-up. He won't be poor on the ground, but he's not going to be on Nelson's level.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:01 pm

I understand that, but i can't see Nelson subbing him. He may get him in the crucifix and pound away on him but even then, JDS is pretty explosive as we saw in the Gonzaga fight. Also Nelson is definitely no slouch on the feet either, just ask Struve and Schaub!

How long has JDS been with Blackhouse?
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  mikeyboybisping Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:19 pm

Nelson is crap, he's an embarassment to the sport. I hope Dos Santos exposes him as the gloried can he is.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:21 pm

You, my friend, have some very invalid opinions.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:50 pm

jimmyboypost wrote:Nelson is crap, he's an embarassment to the sport. I hope Dos Santos exposes him as the gloried can he is.

What an awful post!
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  mikeyboybisping Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:55 pm

The only reason Nelson is in the UFC is because Dana thought he'd make for good television in The Ultimate Fighter. He'd have never have signed him otherwise.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:06 pm

jimmyboy you are going the right way for a smacked bottom.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:10 pm

jimmyboypost wrote:The only reason Nelson is in the UFC is because Dana thought he'd make for good television in The Ultimate Fighter. He'd have never have signed him otherwise.

He signed him because he was one of the top 15-20 HW's in the world with an excellent record and a solid fighting style. He challenged him to go on TUF, and in truth the real reason he signed him for TUF was to ensure that Kimbo wouldn't win the show.

Nelson is an excellent fighter.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:26 pm

He actually offered him a contract with the only condition being that he lost the gut....Roy declined and elected to go via Tuf and keep his Burger King platinum membership. Very Happy

...so saying that he is only in the UFC because Dana thought he would be good TV on TUF (which he won) is rubbish.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:26 pm