THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
The_Axe_Emperor
payneNglory1
6 posters

Pedro Rizzo vs. Tim Sylvia - Winner could get a UFC Contract

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Pedro Rizzo vs. Tim Sylvia - Winner could get a UFC Contract Empty Pedro Rizzo vs. Tim Sylvia - Winner could get a UFC Contract

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:46 pm

Pedro Rizzo vs. Tim Sylvia - Winner could get a UFC Contract Rizzo-Machida

Pedro Augusto Rizzo (19w, 9l) is excited about his upcoming fight with Tim Sylvia (27w, 6l), which should take place in early 2011. There are a number of reasons. First, because the fight was postponed by War on the Mainland’s promoters twice. Second, because of the challenge of facing a striker of the caliber of Tim Sylvia, a former UFC champion now thirty-four years of age. The third reason he, himself, explains:

“Dana White mentioned that the winner should get another chance in the Ultimate Fighting Championship,” said Pedro Rizzo, 36, in a laid back conversation with GRACIEMAG.com, in the North Brazilian city of Belém, where he is training with Glover Teixeira, Lyoto and family until November 6.

“Another good reason for me to do a good job of preparing, if just because Tim is two meters tall and has great reach, and that means I have to change my way of fighting. I can’t stand still, I’ll have to move around the whole time,” reflected the Marco Ruas student.

“As the date hasn’t been set, it’s just a verbal agreement, so I’m getting back to light training. But I want to have a good performance. Who knows? Maybe I’ll manage a return to the UFC. I feel really comfortable fighting in that Octagon. I feel leaving there was the biggest mistake of my career, my great regret,” he said.

“I left on my own volition (end of 2003), but at that time I felt stagnant and the big heavyweight challenges were in Japan. I always went after the toughest matches, so I had to face the guys in Pride. What to do? It didn’t work out. But today, with Cain Velasquez as champion, the UFC is really well represented. I feel Cain could even take out Fedor Emelianenko,” he said in assessment.

http://www.graciemag.com/en/2010/11/rizzo-%e2%80%9cleaving-the-ufc-was-the-biggest-mistake-of-my-career%e2%80%9d/
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Pedro Rizzo vs. Tim Sylvia - Winner could get a UFC Contract Empty Re: Pedro Rizzo vs. Tim Sylvia - Winner could get a UFC Contract

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:49 pm

My money is on Sylvia. I think he'll KO Rizzo who, for a man nicknamed Rock has barely any chin, and get signed up for the UFC. I also think with a win he should be back in the rankings.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Pedro Rizzo vs. Tim Sylvia - Winner could get a UFC Contract Empty Re: Pedro Rizzo vs. Tim Sylvia - Winner could get a UFC Contract

Post  the_king Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:51 pm

im hoping sylvia wins this contract as i think he still has a little more to offer than pedro does.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:47 pm

I'd like them both to be given another shot to be honest.

I don't think either can do much when your talking about getting into the title picture,but they both can,if matched up sensibly,put on good fights.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:15 pm

I'd like to see Timmeh vs Brock so I hope Timmeh wins this.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:17 pm

anfield how would you see a timmy/brock fight going. i was thinking of it earlier and can only really see brock take him down in each round and just holding him down. kinda like when he fought herring.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Not really sure to be honest mate, I'd love to see Timmeh beat him to be honest. Just to completely rubbish Lesnar into the ground and see how much Fedor's people would laugh about it.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:08 pm

I see Sylvia winning this. Bring on Mir-Sylvia 2 Twisted Evil
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:16 pm

That's a good shout actually. I'm sure he'd like another shot at Nog as well.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:56 pm

was it the mir fight that was stopped for a broken arm.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:43 pm

Yeah mate Mir brock him arm, Tim was raging cause he didnt tap or didnt even notice it break!!

Id love to see either man back in the UFC because at the end of the day they are both heavyweight strikers.

If Rizzo somehow wins Id love to see him vs Crocop, Like Coleman vs Couture its years overdue but still would be fun to see...

Im 90% sure Sylvia will win this and I wonder if they will ease him back into UFC with a fight with a lower ranked guy like Madsen, Schaub or Broughton? Or throw him straight into a rematch with Nog/Mir? Maby Carwin or Lesnar? I think he diserves another run in the UFC for sure apart from Mercer his losses were very forgivable
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:45 pm

UFC contract not up for grabs in proposed Pedro Rizzo vs. Tim Sylvia bout

While a heavyweight showdown between former UFC champions Pedro Rizzo (19-9) and Tim Sylvia (27-6) may provide fireworks on the feet, the winner will not be provided a UFC contract.

Contrary to several published reports, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com that he has made no such promises to either of his ex-employees.

"Where the [expletive] did that come from?" White asked with a laugh.

While official plans for the fight have yet to be announced, the upstart Powerhouse World Promotions is expected to arrange the contest in early 2011. Sylvia earned a second-round knockout of former UFC heavyweight contender Paul Buentello in PWP's first-ever event, held on Aug. 14. The pending matchup between Sylvia and Rizzo was first mentioned on that evening's pay-per-view broadcast.

In an interview earlier this week with GracieMag.com, Rizzo claimed White had verbally offered him a return trip to the UFC with a win over Sylvia.

White refuted that claim and said that while he has nothing but respect for "The Rock," he believes the 36-year-old Brazilian, a veteran of countless toe-to-toe slugfests, should be considering retirement rather than a return trip to the octagon.

"Pedro Rizzo is a great dude," White said. "I have a good relationship with him. I've always had respect for him.

"In no way, shape or form do I want to disrespect Pedro because I really do like him, but he needs to retire. I'd like to see Pedro retire."

Rizzo debuted for the UFC in 1998 and quickly became a prominent figure in the growing sport with wins over David "Tank" Abbott, Mark Coleman, Tra Telligman and Tsuyoshi Kohsaka. Rizzo was then granted a shot at Kevin Randleman with the heavyweight title on the line, but the Brazilian came up short in the decision following a 25-minute affair.

Rizzo went 5-4 in his remaining nine fights for the UFC – a stretch that included two more title fight losses, both to Randy Couture. Following a 2003 win over Ricco Rodriguez, Rizzo left the UFC with a 9-5 record in the octagon.

Rizzo told GracieMag.com the decision to walk away from the UFC was a poor one.

"I feel leaving there was the biggest mistake of my career," Rizzo said.

Rizzo has since gone 5-4 in stints under the PRIDE, Affliction and Art of War banners, among others. "The Rock" currently carries a three-fight win streak that includes victories over Ken Shamrock, Gary Goodridge and Jeff Monson

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21285/ufc-contract-not-up-for-grabs-in-proposed-pedro-rizzo-vs-tim-sylvia-bout.mma
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:52 pm

Rizzo is probably close to retirement, i thought Yvel killed him last year, but Timmeh if he wins this, would be a good pickup for UFC/SF or even sign for Bellator to challenge Konrad there.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:29 pm