THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
Anfields5thKing
wilksdaman
manschesthair_utd
redmeanie77
sunthunder
rudeboyben84
10 posters

Crocop wanted to throw the rope up after loss!

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Crocop wanted to throw the rope up after loss! Empty Crocop wanted to throw the rope up after loss!

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:20 pm

Copy and Pasted...

“I was very, very disturbed after the loss to Dos Santos. I was in such a state that I wished to hang myself in my hotel room so I would be gone. Three losses in my last seven fights is nothing but a disaster to me. That’s a terrible score and I’m not happy about it. I already know some things that I did wrong both in the fight and in the preparation for the fight, but there are many questions that remain to be answered. I am seriously thinking about hiring a psychiatrist to help me out. I have already made some calls about it … I will make some changes in my training, because I wish to fight twice more in the UFC. I am a fighter, and I will find the motivation and strength I need … If someone offered me millions of dollars to quit my career right now I would not accept it. [Fighting] is my life and I don’t know any other way to live.”

Thats gutting to hear, After Arlovskis Russian roulette its sad to hear another figher taking a loss so badly. Crocop and Arlovski are both figherts I really like and would love to see back on track. Arlovskis chin has let him down but it appears Crocops body has not failed him in any way, its his head not being in the game.

So he has 2 fights left, maby a psychiatrist can really sort out his head? Or maby finally cutting to 205lbs would be the answer. Im supprised that no one has thrown the Idea about that he should cut weight. That way he wont be going in the smaller man in pretty much every fight. Nog is the last heavyweight left Corocops size, Guys like Couture and Vera have realised that they need to figth at 205 and I think head in the game or not Mirkos only chance is either to cut weight or have really easy opponents at Hw.

I really hope he sorts him self. Im sure he will be taking a lot of time off, And I would be very supprised if we saw him fight in 2009. I dont think Arlovski vs Crocop will happen because I imagine Arlovski is headed to Strikeforce so who for Crocop?

Being realistic I dont see Mirko at 205 ever so who for his return fight? I think if Kongo looses to Mir he has his perfect comeback fight and a chance to avenge his loss. Perhaps a 2nd fight with Heath Herring who probabally will be off till 2010 or the winner of Hardonk vs Patrick Barry because either man would be likely to stand and trade with him.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Crocop wanted to throw the rope up after loss! Empty Re: Crocop wanted to throw the rope up after loss!

Post  sunthunder Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:40 pm

I think Crocop's decline is partly mental, like he says, but also partly natural physical deterioration. I think he's lost some speed, but even a slightly slowed-down Crocop should be able to destroy a lot of fighters. Dos Santos didn't even look that convincing in their fight. I don't know what it will take for Mirko to regain form, or if he even can. I'd suggest maybe a change of team at the very least, or maybe some temporary training elsewhere. I think you've suggested before ben that he train at Jacksons, which would be a good fit. You can just tell Jackson is a great mental trainer. Or (crazy Rocky thought) he should go train with Fedor, maybe Fedor could re-build him Shocked .

I would like to see him drop to 205. Logically he should be able to do it, and it'd give him a chance to control where the fight goes again rather than being bullied around. Maybe even take a catchweight fight initially to see how he'd handle the weight drop, at like 212lbs or something. If he did drop weight and put together a few wins, he'd be a very compelling title challenger.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Crocop wanted to throw the rope up after loss! Empty Re: Crocop wanted to throw the rope up after loss!

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:44 pm

Heath Herring is still alive ?????????? Shocked

I think getting time off to focus on his mental state is what is needed for Crocop. He wont admit it but in the JDS fight he was scared of getting hit, and KO'ed. The Gonzaga KO has really affected him. It happens sometimes in combat sports where a competitor gets KO for the first time in his career (possibly life) and they just are not the same anymore mentally.

I wouldnt write his MMA career off yet, the same goes for Wanderlei and Chuck. Sometimes one win can send a fighter back to his best again. Look at Mir after his bike accident, all it takes is one fight where something just clicks inside you and you get your confidence back. And you find yourself having your arm raised by Herb Dean while shouting "I'm back " to the camera.

Heres hoping ......

Seriously Herring is still alive ? lol!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:03 pm

Yeah Herring is just taking time off. Shame really because he nearly finished Nog and he beat Kongo who was near a shot. I think the Lesnar loss made a mess. I think he needed time off to sort himself.

Crocop bounced right back after the Randleman KO which was just as Brutal infact he rematched Randleman and Bulldozed him inside a munite! That and being Ko'd a few times in K-1 as far as I can remember. I dont think the Gonzaga loss tells the whole story he didnt even look the part against Eddie Sanchez... I think its totally a size issue. As MMA evolves it gets more and more improtant to fight at your correct weight class and Mirko either doesnt realise he is to small for a heavyweight or has some hangup that the Hw devision is the palce to be!!

Heres hoping he does what he needs to do because although he has slowed he was never a lightning fast striker, I think he just needs to get over being scared of being hit like you say. That ducking the head and pawing JDS chest was blatently because he didnt want punched in the face, Ive seen if with all sorts of people in sparing. Greg Jackson or Randy Couture or the likes would really help his game. But I dont think he will change camps for 2 fights. I think Crocop is all talk he wants to be a top figher again in his head because thats all he knows but when he fights he looks hesitant and dis interested. He has just lost killer instinct like Tyson did in Boxing. I dont think its something you can get back. Maby a good coach is the answer over a cut to 205... Maby a bit of both
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:08 pm

I dont think simply cutting weight is a good idea. Even the shadow we've seen recently would be able to KO Jardine, chuck, franklin etc, but that is not the answer. Either he gets his head sorted and continues to fight in the hardest division, or he doesnt get sorted out in which case he should retire. I dont, and im sure nobody else wants to see the crocop we've seen recently in any division.

A psychiatrist would be worth a shot, and changing his camp would also be worth a shot, Fedor is a great call, he is afraid of nothing! Fedor said they get along but Mirko was avoiding him.

anyway the most important thing is to get the fire back.

Crocop wanted to throw the rope up after loss! Crocop1-250x241
    wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  wilksdaman Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:59 pm

Sad to hear.

It would be good to see him fight at LHW, the big boys are just too big for him now, despite his giant-killing abilites of yesteryear.

I would like to see him avenge his losses against Kongo and Gonzaga though. So who knows, tough call.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:16 pm

I watched this fight again just now and i actually think CroCop would have gotten a draw at worst had he kept fighting. He clearly won the first and i thought the second round was a draw. I don't think Dos Santos comes out of that fight looking all that good. CroCop picked him apart at will in the first and stifled him in the second. CroCop is still a good fighter, but his problem is that he doesn't want to fight anymore.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:17 am

It's nothing new to see an athlete in the twilight of their career struggling like this, but I would have thought Mirko would be one of the last guys to let it affect him this much. He's got so much else going for him - in Politics, with ATJ Lucko, even a career in Football, but I guess he'll always be a fighter first and foremost..... At 35, all he needs is his confidence back and he could fight at the top level at LHW for another 3 years.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:52 pm

It is a great shame. The only way I can see CroCop going forward, would be a step to 205, but like others have said, I really cannot see that happening. Think of the renewed confidence that the move could generate. Maybe that would sort some of Mirko's head issues. I really cannot see CroCop offering a great deal to the HW division until those issues are addressed.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:43 pm

IF he cut to 205 i think he realistically would be legit threat to Machida. His style and southpaw stance are different to anything Machida would have seen before and that left leg is an equalizer. I think Machida would beat him, i don't see anyone other than Fedor that would beat Machida and i think that's a close fight, but he'd be more of a threat than Tito, Couture, Rampage or anyone else after Machida gets done with Shogun.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:33 pm

I was just on Wiki, not very reliable i know, but they have Mirko down as fighting Jardine at LHW on the 108 card. Has anyone else heard this rumour?
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:02 pm

Not heard that but hopefully it's true.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:10 pm

Someone posted it on sherdog
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:17 pm

I think Jardine is tailor made for a headkick!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:21 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:Someone posted it on sherdog

talk about reliable sources lol!

i doubt this will happen, to crocop dropping in weight is giving in.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:25 pm

its that or retirement.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:27 pm

....or get his head straight and continue to do what he has been doing for 10 years, knock guys unconcious in the absolute division!
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Maybe his suicidal thoughts might have brought about a change in attitude towards weight cutting.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:42 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:....or get his head straight and continue to do what he has been doing for 10 years, knock guys unconcious in the absolute division!

CroCop hasn't knocked anyone out in 3 years and that was against a light heavyweight.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:47 pm

Wasn't the last Heavyweight he actually Ko'd,Aleks back in 04?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:55 pm

He knocked out Coleman as well but he's down at LHW now. The last real HW was Aleks.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 3:07 am