THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
payneNglory1
Shanemc
Additional Generic
sunthunder
mattn1977
redmeanie77
Raiden
11 posters

Who's next for a shot at the LHW Title

Raiden
    Raiden
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Who's next for a shot at the LHW Title Empty Who's next for a shot at the LHW Title

Post  Raiden Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:48 pm

First off cannot wait for the Machida Vs Shogun fight. I dont think an MMA has appealed to me as much.

Machida is arguably the most impressive mixed martial artist i have seen in my short time as a fan.

Shogun looked sharp in his fight with Chuck and he is legendary with longterm fans of the sport. I'l bet those fans are dying for him to win.

I personally hope Machida wins as he is possibly my favourite fighter.

Who do people see getting a shot after this fight?

I think if Shogun were to win a fight with Anderson Silva would be a real possibility and definatlythe one id like to see.

Machida Vs Silva at the moment is the one most people would want to see but as they are friends it is unlikely.

So who else do you think is almost there, near a title shot that is?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Who's next for a shot at the LHW Title Empty Re: Who's next for a shot at the LHW Title

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:00 pm

The winner of Evans - Silva match will get a title shot i think, maybe after Anderson defeats Vitor he will go for the 205 title against Shogun if he wins.....
    mattn1977
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Who's next for a shot at the LHW Title Empty Re: Who's next for a shot at the LHW Title

Post  mattn1977 Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:53 pm

Thinking about it either Rashad or T.Silva getting a rematch doesn't appeal that much to me. The LHW division doesn't seem as stacked as it once was. Chuck, Wandy and Rampage are all out of the picture for one reason or another, Jardine is more of a gatekeeper...Forest has two losses on the bounce, maybe little Nog might catapult himself into the frame with a strong debut fight.

I have a sneaky feeling that if Randy puts on a decent show against Vera then he will get the next shot. I'm sure the UFC see Machida v's Couture as a pretty marketable fight. I don't think he deserves the next shot.......but I can see it happening.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:00 pm

I'm iffy about the winner of Rashad-Silva getting the shot. They both just lost against Machida. I'd prefer the winner of Rogerio-Cane, although I don't know if Rogerio would fight Machida.

I'd hope we could see the winner of Rashad-Silva get the winner of Tito-Forrest.
    Additional Generic
    Additional Generic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Additional Generic Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:05 pm

I'd have no interest in either Rashad or Thiago getting a rematch with Machida if he were to win.

Would love a fight between Anderson and Shogun if Shogun wins but I'm hoping Machida wins this one.

If Machida disposes of Shogun with the same ease he did Rashad and Thiago then it is hard to see who can challenge him bar Anderson.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:46 pm

id say the winner of rashad/silva or maybe even the winner of lil nog/cane wouldnt be too pissed off if either got the shot as they will all make great matchups
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:42 pm

If Machida wins then I would say Randy is next as long as he gets past Vera.
    If Shogun wins then we could see Anderson Silva challenging for the LHW belt for Shoguns first defence though I think even if Shogun loses then Anderson is his next fight no matter what.
    It makes no sense for either Rashad nor Silva to have another crack at Machida yet after how badly they both faired the first time.
    Lil Nog may get his shot though if he gets past Cane as it seems the UFC have gave all the bigger named fighters they sign a shot at the belt in their second fight but I still think that depends on how Randy does against Vera.
    If Vera,lil Nog and Machida win then lil Nog gets the first shot at the belt and Vera fights the winner of Rashad or Silva.

but then again scratch
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:34 am

wouldnt mind seeing houston alexander get a crack at the belt coming off such a big win in his first round ko of sherman pendergast
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:10 pm

If Shogun wins I think we see Anderson vs Shogun
    If Machida wins I think he fights the winner of Evans vs Thaigo.

Next in line theres the winner of Nog vs Cain, the winner of Couture vs Vera and the winner of Tito vs Forrest. maby the winner of one of these will face off. Nog said he wanted a Shogun rematch and id love to see it because the 1st fight was a classic.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:44 pm

Nog won't fight Machida, and he definatley won't fight his training partner Silva.

If Shogun and Nog wins, Shogun/Nog 2 (Anderson is fighting at MW)
    If Shogun wins, Nog loses and Thiago wins, Shogun/Thiago (if they will fight)
    If Machida and Randy wins, Machida/Randy
    If Machida wins and Randy loses, and Cain wins, Machida/Cain
    If Machida wins and Vera, Nog win....Vera?

bottom line is, there are WAY to many variables to say who the next shot will be given to.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:12 pm

Those are all well thought out options chesty. Those would all make good fights, though I still think the winner of Nog/Cane should get the shot. I think at this point, anyone getting a title shot should be on atleast a two fight win streak.

It just hit me that we might actually get to the situation where the top 3 guys at light heavyweight won't fight each other. Rogerio has improved a lot over recent years, to the point that I think skill-wise, he might be superior to Rashad, Forrest, Shogun etc. Machida, Anderson and Rogerio could be the 3 best at 205.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:50 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cain doesnt fight at 205 rabbit
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:19 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cain doesnt fight at 205 rabbit

Luis Banha Cane Cool
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:08 pm

sorry i thought that is how you spelt it!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:11 pm

Why on earth should Randy Couture get a shot if he beats Vera?? Vera's not even top 10!
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:48 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if Randy got the shot, although there are probably more deserving fighters, most of his UFC fights have been title shots or defencies.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:52 am