THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
redmeanie77
Anfields5thKing
sunthunder
The_Axe_Emperor
payneNglory1
9 posters

Frank Mir Talks Nogueira, Cro Cop, Strategy, and Future in Heavyweight Division

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Frank Mir Talks Nogueira, Cro Cop, Strategy, and Future in Heavyweight Division - Page 2 Empty Re: Frank Mir Talks Nogueira, Cro Cop, Strategy, and Future in Heavyweight Division

Post  the_king Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:25 pm

lol no more im tired of watching cro cop mate. iv done pride dvds all day.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Frank Mir Talks Nogueira, Cro Cop, Strategy, and Future in Heavyweight Division - Page 2 Empty Re: Frank Mir Talks Nogueira, Cro Cop, Strategy, and Future in Heavyweight Division

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Cro Cop's eye...

Frank Mir Talks Nogueira, Cro Cop, Strategy, and Future in Heavyweight Division - Page 2 Crocop10
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Posted that in another thread mate, doesn't look as bad as i expected but it still looks quite nasty.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:47 pm

its not that major he has bloodshot eye no cut, no bruising and no retna damage.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:51 pm

His "win" against Sylvia was down to a referee making a judgement call. Sylvia could have fought on with his arm broken like that. Others have done it and won fights.

Nog spend near 2 weeks in hospital with a staph infection. If he was at 40% that's about it.

Steve Mazzagatti beat Lesnar, not Mir.

Frank Mir is never going to be UFC champion again. He should therefore leave the UFC if he has any sort of goals to win championships and go fight elsewhere. He wouldn't be one of the 4 in Strikeforce either and since the Strikeforce fighters can fight in Dream I reckon Bellator or Sengoku is his best option. If you're in the fighting game and your ultimate goal is not to be a champion you should retire and

I think the win against Sylvia was fair enough. Mir had that armbar locked in and he could have seriously damaged Sylvia if the ref didn't stop it. The ref's job is to protect the fighter from harm and Dean clearly saw the arm brake. If Mir wrenched it anymore he could have done permanent damage. Its not the same as say when Rich broke his arm which was just from a hard kick. It was a submission which could have ended Syliva's career. Sylvia even thanked Dean after he watched it at home.

Agree completely about Nog.

I don't know if I entirely about the Mazzaghati one though. I watched that fight yesterday and its clear Lesnar does hit him in the back of the head. Mazzaghati might have been a bit hasty to dock a point so quickly but that fight did need to be restarted. Lesnar broke the rules and its the same sitaution as when a fighter gets an eye poke or kicked in the balls.
    Even after the restart, Lesnar took him down and battered him again before he got sloppy.

If anything Lesnar threw that fight away with two amateur mistakes and basic carelessness. Lesnar GAVE that fight to Mir. I give Mir credit for taking his opportunity but Lesnar lost that fight more than Mir won it (if that makes sense)

I agree about the last part as well. I think Mir is a good fighter but not a great one and I always think he will be behind 4 or 5 fighters in the UFC or SF. Not quite gatekeeper but no longer a contender.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:08 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    His "win" against Sylvia was down to a referee making a judgement call. Sylvia could have fought on with his arm broken like that. Others have done it and won fights.

Nog spend near 2 weeks in hospital with a staph infection. If he was at 40% that's about it.

Steve Mazzagatti beat Lesnar, not Mir.

Frank Mir is never going to be UFC champion again. He should therefore leave the UFC if he has any sort of goals to win championships and go fight elsewhere. He wouldn't be one of the 4 in Strikeforce either and since the Strikeforce fighters can fight in Dream I reckon Bellator or Sengoku is his best option. If you're in the fighting game and your ultimate goal is not to be a champion you should retire and

I think the win against Sylvia was fair enough. Mir had that armbar locked in and he could have seriously damaged Sylvia if the ref didn't stop it. The ref's job is to protect the fighter from harm and Dean clearly saw the arm brake. If Mir wrenched it anymore he could have done permanent damage. Its not the same as say when Rich broke his arm which was just from a hard kick. It was a submission which could have ended Syliva's career. Sylvia even thanked Dean after he watched it at home.

Agree completely about Nog.

I don't know if I entirely about the Mazzaghati one though. I watched that fight yesterday and its clear Lesnar does hit him in the back of the head. Mazzaghati might have been a bit hasty to dock a point so quickly but that fight did need to be restarted. Lesnar broke the rules and its the same sitaution as when a fighter gets an eye poke or kicked in the balls.
    Even after the restart, Lesnar took him down and battered him again before he got sloppy.

If anything Lesnar threw that fight away with two amateur mistakes and basic carelessness. Lesnar GAVE that fight to Mir. I give Mir credit for taking his opportunity but Lesnar lost that fight more than Mir won it (if that makes sense)

I agree about the last part as well. I think Mir is a good fighter but not a great one and I always think he will be behind 4 or 5 fighters in the UFC or SF. Not quite gatekeeper but no longer a contender.

You're spot on about Lesnar clearly hitting Mir, the problem was that in a fight earlier that night Mazzagatti warned a fighter twice before even stopping him. He just stopped Lesnar straight away and took a point. Lesnar was clearly confused and rattled by the deduction as one more mistake and he could have been DQ'd.

it's a fair point on Sylvia, i just think it depends on what happens next, Sylvia seemed to be pulling his arm free when it popped. Hard to tell really.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:05 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:

You're spot on about Lesnar clearly hitting Mir, the problem was that in a fight earlier that night Mazzagatti warned a fighter twice before even stopping him. He just stopped Lesnar straight away and took a point. Lesnar was clearly confused and rattled by the deduction as one more mistake and he could have been DQ'd.

it's a fair point on Sylvia, i just think it depends on what happens next, Sylvia seemed to be pulling his arm free when it popped. Hard to tell really.

I think the reason Mazzagatti was harder on Lesnar is that one Brock punch to the back of the head could seriously mess anyone up. The harder the puncher, the more diligent you need to be with that sort of thing. I disagreed with taking a point though.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:11 am

yeah but big fighter vs slightly smaller fighter and small fighter vs slightly smaller fighter are the same thing surely in terms of relative power vs relative ability to take a punch.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:22 am

I get your point, but I'd still say that there's a smaller margin for error for heavyweights than for lightweights. Plus, this was Mir he was fighting Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:24 am